Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 8:47:11 AM EDT
Is there any major disadvantage in buying the AR mag compatible stocked Aug as opposed to just buying the regular Aug that uses Aug mags? I know about cost difference. But is there any mechanical, reliability or engineering reason to go with the aug mag version over the AR mag version?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No Bolt hold open is the only one i can think of, i dont have a one so im no expert.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there any major disadvantage in buying the AR mag compatible stocked Aug as opposed to just buying the regular Aug that uses Aug mags? I know about cost difference. But is there any mechanical, reliability or engineering reason to go with the aug mag version over the AR mag version?
View Quote

Yes, no bolt hold open which means every mag change will have you working the charging handle. AUG mags are between $15-20 so I don't see any reason to go NATO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, no bolt hold open which means every mag change will have you working the charging handle. AUG mags are between $15-20 so I don't see any reason to go NATO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Share mags with ar15 is a big reason
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would you want to use AR mags in an AUG when the AUG mag is a better magazine?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why would you want to use AR mags in an AUG when the AUG mag is a better magazine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better how?
Life would just be much simpler if 2 platforms could share 1 stash of mags
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only mechanical differences. NATO has ejection on the right side only and no bolt release lever.

NATO stock uses AR type mags which you have more varieties to choose from and commonality if you own an AR15 , SCAR, HK, Beretta etc..

I don't see any facts concerning the AUG mag being better than AR15  mags . The opposite may be true with current PMAGS and LANCER mags proving themselves.

IF you have both stocks you have all bases covered.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You still have the bolt hold open. You lose the bolt release. No left hand ejection slot. That's all you lose.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]
To clarify: With the NATO stock - the bolt will be held open after the last round is fired, correct? It's just in order to release it, the charging handle would have to be run, as there is no bolt release button on NATO stocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-existing supply probably. Aug mags are dam sexy though if I ever get a AUG to keep my tavor company I will have to stock some aug mags to keep it factory sexy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Better how?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better how?

More durable polymer mags. They were designed from the outset for them not the lets design a polymer mag to the dimensions of a metal magazine game that has happened with the ar. So the AUG mags can have thicker bodies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To clarify: With the NATO stock - the bolt will be held open after the last round is fired, correct? It's just in order to release it, the charging handle would have to be run, as there is no bolt release button on NATO stocks.
View Quote

That is correct, yes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I say get both.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if it affects the feel of the trigger pull, but I believe the NATO stock only has one trigger bar instead of two because AR mags lock in from the side instead of the back like AUG mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Better how?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better how?

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody knows AR magazines are far superior to AUG Magazines.
That is why the smart people are buying the AUG NATO so they can share those Awesome Stanag and Magpul magazines Between their AUG, and their Tavor, and their AR rifles.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
AR mags are more common than AUG mags.

That doesn't make them better.

I have a NATO stock that I use when I'm going to be out with the other rifles and the AUG, just to simplify logistics.

H
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting thought.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand why someone would want to go with AR mags in an AUG for the simple fact of mag compatibility.  But, saying an AR mag is superior to an AUG mag?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought.

I understand why someone would want to go with AR mags in an AUG for the simple fact of mag compatibility.  But, saying an AR mag is superior to an AUG mag?  

I agree, i have always felt AR mags were one of the weakest points of the platform.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#21]
We,ve seen a lot of AR15 magazine  durability tests in the last few years, maybe its time for AUG mag lovers to prove their case and do some comparison /durability tests of their own. Saying so doesn't make it so.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Steyr did their own mag tests YEARS ago.
AUG mags were tested and are proven. /story

To suggest that an AR mag is superior to an AUG mag is balogne.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the NATO and although I do believe that Aug mags could potentially be better, I haven't experienced failures of any kind with my HK mags.

HK maritime mags+Aug Nato=perfection.

Shared mags are where it's at and the reason I got the NATO in the first place.  No regrets on the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Will probably get a NATO stock at some point for commonality of mags, but will wait to see what color stocks become available first.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We,ve seen a lot of AR15 magazine  durability tests in the last few years, maybe its time for AUG mag lovers to prove their case and do some comparison /durability tests of their own. Saying so doesn't make it so.
View Quote

When I went to pick up my A3 there was a gentleman there deciding on whether to order the standard or the nato,I steered him toward the standard after taking one of my mags throwing it on the floor and stomping on it repeatedly, his look= He then ordered the standard. I wouldn't do that with my Pmags or Arc mags,just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought my AUG/A3 because I wanted something different.  So I got the AUG version as different from an AR as possible, including magazines.  I'm tired of everything being about if SHTF, but even from that angle the interchangeability isn't an issue because I'd grab an AR and leave the AUG.  It's a fun gun for me and magazines aren't as inexpensive as STANAG mags, but they're not as bad as some others and I got a stack large enough to probably last for my great grandkid's range and plinking use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Steyr did their own mag tests YEARS ago.
AUG mags were tested and are proven. /story

To suggest that an AR mag is superior to an AUG mag is balogne.
View Quote

IIRC back in the early 80s Steyr was the first to advertise mags and rifles torture tested under trucks and such.

I guess when AUG mags start splitting and feed lips popping off we could start testing brands against each other.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I went with the nato stock because I have a shit ton of ar mags. plain and simple
I can use the same mags for several guns.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I stick with the original mags. I've got around 20 so far. I ain't stopping till Manventure or Copes runs out of affordable mags. Probably stop around 50 or 60 mags.

That said, I still want a spare AUG NATO stock just so I can take AR mags if need be. To me, an AUG that takes AR mags just isn't a true AUG.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure if its still there, but CDNN had NATO stocks with trigger pack and forward grip for $199 (about a week ago?)
I woulld say have one of each, its such a fast change out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Interesting thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting thought.
Exactly!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Exactly!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought.
Exactly!  

You don't actually think an AR mag is better than an AUG mag?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everybody knows AR magazines are far superior to AUG Magazines.That is why the smart people are buying the AUG NATO so they can share those Awesome Stanag and Magpul magazines Between their AUG, and their Tavor, and their AR rifles.

View Quote

This guy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I went with the nato stock because I have a shit ton of ar mags. plain and simple
View Quote

This I have never understood.  I own about a dozen different brands of handguns, and NONE of them can share magazines. No one ever complains when a Glock can't take a Colt magazine.  Why do people moan about rifles needing to use the same type of magazines?  I own an FAL and a SCAR 17.  They can't share magazines.  I own an AUG with standard stock and a Colt AR.  They don't share magazines.  Oh well.

I just cannot fathom why people complain about rifles needing to use the same magazines but then they own handguns that require different ones and they don't say a word.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This I have never understood.  I own about a dozen different brands of handguns, and NONE of them can share magazines. No one ever complains when a Glock can't take a Colt magazine.  Why do people moan about rifles needing to use the same type of magazines?  I own an FAL and a SCAR 17.  They can't share magazines.  I own an AUG with standard stock and a Colt AR.  They don't share magazines.  Oh well.

I just cannot fathom why people complain about rifles needing to use the same magazines but then they own handguns that require different ones and they don't say a word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all of my 5.56 guns take ar mags. all of my handguns can use sig 226 mags, including my sig 226
I like that. you may not...and I wasn't complaining or moaning. I go with what works for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because all good rifles take the standard AR mags.
Don't know why all handguns haven't standardized on the HK magazines yet.

You may Need to take that design flaw up with them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody knows AR magazines are far superior to AUG Magazines.That is why the smart people are buying the AUG NATO so they can share those Awesome Stanag and Magpul magazines Between their AUG, and their Tavor, and their AR rifles.

This guy.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting thought.
Exactly!  

I can state unequivocally and without fear of successful contradiction,

That my AR magazines,

Are Superior

To Your

Steyr magazines,

To me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can state unequivocally and without fear of successful contradiction,   That my AR magazines,
Are Superior
To Your
Steyr magazines,
To me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought.
Exactly!  

I can state unequivocally and without fear of successful contradiction,   That my AR magazines,
Are Superior
To Your
Steyr magazines,
To me.

I like pudding!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
this and that
View Quote

I give up *throwing hands in air*
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are Superior
To Your
Steyr magazines,
To me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought.
Exactly!  

Are Superior
To Your
Steyr magazines,
To me.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this and that

He says everyone has said that the AR mag is better in construction,  but he's rrally the first guy I've heard say that.

Never mind that I've had a few failure to feed issues with my AR mags, amd none yet with my AUG mags

Nevermind that there hasn't been an article domestic or foreign that has talked bad about the AUG mag, when there's been quite a few published about AR mags.

Never mind that the AUG mag is substantially thicker than the AR mag.

Never mind that you can check where your remaining ammo is at with all AUG mags.

Nevermind that all AUG mags have better geometry for more reliable feeding than AR mags

Nevermind that if you use AR mags in the AUG you sacrifice the last round bolt hold open lever and lose the capability to switch ejection ports.

Nope. Nevermind any of that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this and that

Total misquote

I never wrote "this and that" on any post.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
He says everyone has said that the AR mag is better in construction,  but he's rrally the first guy I've heard say that.

Never mind that I've had a few failure to feed issues with my AR mags, amd none yet with my AUG mags

Nevermind that there hasn't been an article domestic or foreign that has talked bad about the AUG mag, when there's been quite a few published about AR mags.

Never mind that you can check where your remaining ammo is at with all AUG mags.

Nevermind that all AUG mags have better geometry for more reliable feeding than AR mags

Nevermind that if you use AR mags in the AUG you sacrifice the last round bolt hold open lever and lose the capability to switch ejection ports.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this and that

Yep

It's all immaterial to what kind of magazines a person has.

AUG magazines can be all that

But I don't have any

So

To me

My AR magazines are better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
this and that

Not to mention that AUG mags will jettison the top round(s) if you slap them into the magwell or drop them.  SOP for loading an AUG is to tilt the weapon with the port canted slightly so that if/when it spontaneously jettisons rounds from the top of the mag they won't induce a jam.    

AUG mags are incredible for 70's technology, but the modern polymers are far superior.  Given the difference in the working envelope between the AUG and the AR, it's really apples to oranges though.  The AUG's method of lockup and feeding allows for much thicker feed lip geometry.    

All that said, when I had an AUG I ran it exclusively on AUG mags and never felt at a disadvantage.  Just don't get DEET on them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Any way
The simple answer to which AUG to buy,  Std or NATO

Depends.

If you already have an AR, or a Tavor, or are thinking you will get one in the future.

Then get the NATO.

You will be able to collect a bunch of good Mags and they will work in all your rifles.

The only disadvantage as previously mentioned is the lack of a bolt release button.

I don't find that a challenge, I just give the charging handle a little tug and let er go.

Round chambered.

If on the other hand all you have is a Ruger mini14 or M1A and never plan on getting an AR or a Tavor,

then you could think about getting the Std AUG.

Another reason to lean toward the NATO is if you sometimes like to use smaller mags.

I have a 10 rounder I like to use on the bench.  Very handy.

I don't know if they make smaller AUG magazines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Any way
The simple answer to which AUG to buy,  Std or NATO
View Quote

Depends.

If you already have an AR, or a Tavor, or are thinking you will get one in the future.

Then get the NATO.

You will be able to collect a bunch of good Mags and they will work in all your rifles.

The only disadvantage as previously mentioned is the lack of a bolt release button.

I don't find that a challenge, I just give the charging handle a little tug and let er go.

Round chambered.

If on the other hand all you have is a Ruger mini14 or M1A and never plan on getting an AR or a Tavor,

Another reason to lean toward the NATO is if you sometimes like to use smaller mags.

Steyr does make 10 round AUG mags

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any wayThe simple answer to which AUG to buy,  Std or NATO
Depends.
Then get the NATO.

Round chambered.

View Quote

My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Whenever I get an Aug I'm getting the NATO stock. I know down the road I would like to get a normal Aug stock and a decent amount of mags. Just because I like to collect stuff. I don't need an Aug, but I want one. I want to have my bazillion ar mags to work with it. I'm definitely not complaining about it like someone suggested is what us fans of NATO stocks do. If I could get an amazing deal on an Aug I would jump on it knowing I could buy a NATO stock and not have to spend too much money in the end on both options :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top