Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The well-intentioned effort of the OP notwithstanding, I submit the last six pages of this Thread as evidence that the AR-15 and the Bullpup, each in their own ways, representing excellent examples of firearms design, not unlike East and West, never the twain shall meet. Indeed, the 2nd and 3rd images accompanying the OP's 2/1/2014 12:43:03 PM Post, previous page (shouldering this proposed design by a left-handed shooter would place his left cheek over the ejection port), underscore the necessity of a firearms design which allows ambi-ejection, if a Bullpup configuration is intended: Beretta's soon-to-be released ARX100, incorporating instant left- / right-side ejection, for an example.

I dare state that had the OP chosen the ARX100, instead of the AR-15, as the basis for his Bullpup, we'd have reached a respectable point in our goal, by now.

And, then, there's the matter of stamped steel --- in the 21st Century . . .
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going cheap on the mag well?  How cheap do you want?  Perhaps Airsoft cheap?

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortbloomberg/subeffortg36/subEffortG36.html

56K death, BTW.
View Quote

I was thinking just little steel blocks spot welded in the lower. I do like the mag release tho.

I have been trying to figure out If i can get a mag release like the G36 or tavor with 3 parts (like the AR). Trying to use the ak lever and spring but it may not work out. The mag release is something I need to think about a little more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Design a bullpup stock that works around an AR lower. Slap on a Sebru upper. No need for a buffer/buffer spring so no need for a receiver extension. Win.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been working on a bullpup design for a while now and agree with the guys on here that have said start with new components rather than use the AR15 internal workings.  Maybe save the use of the bolt, barrel, and barrel extension. Possibly even use the rotation pin location for the bolt.

I would like the see the Longziz (SP?) refined more.  The concept stock looks rough....really rough, but could be a winner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been working on a bullpup design for a while now and agree with the guys on here that have said start with new components rather than use the AR15 internal workings.  Maybe save the use of the bolt, barrel, and barrel extension. Possibly even use the rotation pin location for the bolt.

I would like the see the Longziz (SP?) refined more.  The concept stock looks rough....really rough, but could be a winner.
View Quote

Yes the Longziz was exciting and I wish he would pop back up
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The Longziz #1 Prototype, with instant left- / right-side ejection, is brilliant!  Combined with the Longziz #2 Universal AR Magazine, it represents the future of multi-purpose Bullpups. Sad to see it missing from the scene.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he ever get things hardened and actually fire his bullpup?  The concept was cool, the execution of the carrier concerned me a bit, it's been a while since I've looked at it, but I wanted to see how it held up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Did he ever get things hardened and actually fire his bullpup?  The concept was cool, the execution of the carrier concerned me a bit, it's been a while since I've looked at it, but I wanted to see how it held up.
View Quote

If you can't go forward or downward eject I think longziz was close. I didn't like the fact you had to open the action to reconfigure on the Longziz. I wouldn't have done it that way.

I think you either have a dedicated lefty or righty bolt (tavor/aug) , or you switch ejection with a deflector and not the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
On Your Side: Beretta ARX100 By Gary Paul Johnston, Shooting Illustrated, December, 2013, PP 43, 44, Switching in Seconds --- "The seven-lug, rotating bolt has two extractors, one on either side. These not only provide positive extraction; either can be selected to serve as the ejector. Open on both sides of the ARX100, the ejection port allows the bolt to expel brass to the right or left, depending on the shooter's choice.

"A sliding steel plate housed in the lower receiver's polymer buffer plate governs which side brass is ejected from the action. Accessed by a hole in either side of the upper receiver forward of the buttstock, the steel plate can be pushed to the right or left by using a bullet tip or other pointed object. If the plate is pushed to the right, the ARX100 will eject to the right. If it's pushed to the left, ejection will occur on that side.

"A clever design makes this possible. On each side of the bolt, a spring-loaded rod connected to its own extractor/ejector extends to the rear. Pushed to the right, the plate blocks the left extractor rod when the bolt travels to the rear during cycling. The blocked rod forces the left extracor forward of the bolt head to now serve as an ejector. While the right extractor retains the rim of the cartridge case, the ejector pushes on the left side of the case and ejects it to the right. Moving the plate to the left produces the opposite effect, turning the right extractor ino an ejector."

If only Beretta went all the way --- and gave us an ARX100 Bullpup!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On Your Side: Beretta ARX100 By Gary Paul Johnston, Shooting Illustrated, December, 2013, PP 43, 44, Switching in Seconds --- "The seven-lug, rotating bolt has two extractors, one on either side. These not only provide positive extraction; either can be selected to serve as the ejector. Open on both sides of the ARX100, the ejection port allows the bolt to expel brass to the right or left, depending on the shooter's choice.

"A sliding steel plate housed in the lower receiver's polymer buffer plate governs which side brass is ejected from the action. Accessed by a hole in either side of the upper receiver forward of the buttstock, the steel plate can be pushed to the right or left by using a bullet tip or other pointed object. If the plate is pushed to the right, the ARX100 will eject to the right. If it's pushed to the left, ejection will occur on that side.

"A clever design makes this possible. On each side of the bolt, a spring-loaded rod connected to its own extractor/ejector extends to the rear. Pushed to the right, the plate blocks the left extractor rod when the bolt travels to the rear during cycling. The blocked rod forces the left extracor forward of the bolt head to now serve as an ejector. While the right extractor retains the rim of the cartridge case, the ejector pushes on the left side of the case and ejects it to the right. Moving the plate to the left produces the opposite effect, turning the right extractor ino an ejector."

View Quote

Jump to around 2:20

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you can't go forward or downward eject I think longziz was close. I didn't like the fact you had to open the action to reconfigure on the Longziz. I wouldn't have done it that way. . . .
View Quote

Longziz, December 1, 2011, "When I first started this project [Longziz #1], I didn't know about ARX-160. I didn't aware its existence until early this year, around April or May. When I first learned it, I almost want to quit mine, because I think it changes sides one less action needed than mine."
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the idea of an ejection port on the bottom side of the rifle. Doesn't the new version of Keltec's bullpup offer this feature?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the idea of an ejection port on the bottom side of the rifle. Doesn't the new version of Keltec's bullpup offer this feature?
View Quote

Yep, right into your lap...
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I was doing some work on the upper and decided to play around with adding texturing to the grip and forend.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]

"It is believed that 85 - 90 percent of the world's pupulation is right handed. However, about 2/3 of the population if right eye dominant, and 1/3 is left eye dominant. . . . With a shoulder-fired weapon, such as a rifle of shotgun, the only satisfactory solution is to learn to shoot from the shoulder on the same side as the dominant eye." --- The Cross-Dominant Shooter http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/training-tactical/the-cross-dominant-shooter/
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was doing some work on the upper and decided to play around with adding texturing to the grip and forend.

http://i.imgur.com/RIpEvKl.png
View Quote

Now, that you've got us out on a limb, as it were, with your dandy image-maker (and, in view of the unfavorable Poll for an AR-based Bullpup, using the cumbersom Bolt Carrier Group), I think it would be helpful if you would present an image of an ARX100-based Bullpup (just get rid of the buttstock and give us a forward-mounted pistol grip-trigger assembly), for comparison. And, perhaps, add a Longziz #1-style switchable cheekpiece. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:Now, that you've got us out on a limb, as it were, with your dandy image-maker (and, in view of the unfavorable Poll for an AR-based Bullpup, using the cumbersom Bolt Carrier Group), I think it would be helpful if you would present an image of an ARX100-based Bullpup (just get rid of the buttstock and give us a forward-mounted pistol grip-trigger assembly), for comparison. And, perhaps, add a Longziz #1-style switchable cheekpiece. Thanks!

http://i62.tinypic.com/2z7fjpg.jpg
View Quote

Oooh - it has a lower rail.  Mount the pistol grip to the rail, so it's adjustable for LOP : )
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oooh - it has a lower rail.  Mount the pistol grip to the rail, so it's adjustable for LOP : )
View Quote

This ambidextrous contoured-style Picatinny Rail-mounted fore grip (with sealed storage compartment) offers excellent one-handed control, on a Bullpup

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

. . . "They are also including in the [ARX-160] kit a removable ejection port cover that can be attached by way of the two sling keepers on either side of the receiver. This cover is for use if you are in a very austere environment and want to limit the possibility of debris entering the mechanism. It will totally block out which ever side of the receiber you clip it onto. This, of course precludes the option of having the charging handle on the opposite side of ejection, but I can see it will have its uses when needed [as in a Bullpup configuration]. You can easily remove it again by popping it back off (impossible to do by accident). It is made of polymer. . . ." --- http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?97559-Beretta-ARX160-Update/page4 (See Reply #63).
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm totally redoing the recoil system and thus most of the design. In addition to my college text books I found this article great for anyone looking to design their own spring/s. He talks about various type of traditional and strange spring configurations (rectangular wire, nested springs etc). The one thing that I had never really seen articulated but always had a good feel for was the more material you use for a given spring (larger diameter/longer length) the lower the stress.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a077113.pdf
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Update?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:46:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going thru the standard stage of design called "churn".  I've abandon the extension spring and am visiting the flat spring  or large diameter short spring or nested spring behind the carrier. It really comes down to I need to pick a spring/recoil system and design the firearm around it. Its actually quite challenging to get the right LOP and spring rate/buffer mass.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
if you can make a bullpup kit that uses the original AR parts minus furniture and price it reasonably, it would be awesome.

I think folks at ACE Riflestocks at one time tried it but stopped.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm going thru the standard stage of design called "churn".  I've abandon the extension spring and am visiting the flat spring  or large diameter short spring or nested spring behind the carrier. It really comes down to I need to pick a spring/recoil system and design the firearm around it. Its actually quite challenging to get the right LOP and spring rate/buffer mass.
View Quote

After you've thoroughly peregrinated your "spring" fever, perhaps, you might consider designing a 45-degree forward-ejection system, one which allows the shooter to just stick the thing (the unstocked buffer tube assembly) over their shoulder --- and fire away! It works, even with this AR-10!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#25]
how about this video?  Longziz AR based bullpup

He does change the bolt carrier though.

The triangular Longziz #1 bolt carrier next to an AR-15 carrier.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/419x314xbolt-tfb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cubpsDG0Xp.jpg

AR based bullpup by Longziz

Quoted:
The well-intentioned effort of the OP notwithstanding, I submit the last six pages of this Thread as evidence that the AR-15 and the Bullpup, each in their own ways, representing excellent examples of firearms design, not unlike East and West, never the twain shall meet. Indeed, the 2nd and 3rd images accompanying the OP's 2/1/2014 12:43:03 PM Post, previous page (shouldering this proposed design by a left-handed shooter would place his left cheek over the ejection port), underscore the necessity of a firearms design which allows ambi-ejection, if a Bullpup configuration is intended: Beretta's soon-to-be released ARX100, incorporating instant left- / right-side ejection, for an example.

I dare state that had the OP chosen the ARX100, instead of the AR-15, as the basis for his Bullpup, we'd have reached a respectable point in our goal, by now.

And, then, there's the matter of stamped steel --- in the 21st Century . . .
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After you've thoroughly peregrinated your "spring" fever, perhaps, you might consider designing a 45-degree forward-ejection system, one which allows the shooter to just stick the thing (the unstocked buffer tube assembly) over their shoulder --- and fire away! It works, even with this AR-10!
View Quote

Well, *THAT* looks comfortable .... NOT!

Interesting idea, and I applaud the backyard innovation, but comparing that to a bullpup is a lot like saying "Instead of driving a Ferrari fast, why not ride your Kia down off a cliff?"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Interesting idea, and I applaud the backyard innovation, but comparing that to a bullpup is a lot like saying "Instead of driving a Ferrari fast, why not ride your Kia down off a cliff?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, "THAT"  is comfortable. And, though "a 45-degree forward-ejection system" would be helpful within the overall Bullpup design such as envisioned by the OP, my Post doesn't suggest "THAT" is a Bullpup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
my Post doesn't suggest "THAT" is a Bullpup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
my Post doesn't suggest "THAT" is a Bullpup

I beg to differ.

Quoted:
After you've thoroughly peregrinated your "spring" fever, perhaps, you might consider designing a 45-degree forward-ejection system, one which allows the shooter to just stick the thing (the unstocked buffer tube assembly) over their shoulder --- and fire away!

You insult the OP's plan and process (mangling a perfectly good $5 word in doing so) and say he should allow the shooter to "just stick the thing (the unstocked buffer tube assembly) over their shoulder" all within the context of your "critique".  

So your post reads quite clearly as "Stop your foolishness and just do what someone else already did!"

The sheer ridiculousness of your suggestion makes the whole thing backfire IMNSHO, but feel free to carry on providing amusement value.

Richard

P.S. Bold text should be reserved for emphasis, using it for every word in every posting has the opposite effect.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
. . . I think the longziz #1 is ahead of you though....
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. . . I think the longziz #1 is ahead of you though....

Agreed!

Anone seen it fire yet?
I'm not one to talk, my PDR is dragging on and on, but I did pick up some S7 plate for the bolt the other day, since it's easier to harden properly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
My concept evolved back into somewhat of a combination of my original idea and my second idea. For the lower, its an aluminum skeleton (or polymer) but covered in a plastic (or wood) clam-shell. For the upper, its something like a regular ar upper. I broke down and started totally redoing the carrier body (like many suggested) to accept 2 ak syle springs. The new carrier will yield less parts overall.

Common parts are

FCG
Mag catch system
bolt
dust cover
Gas system
FSB
Barrel
Forend system
Grip
Rear sling swivel
Front takedown components

I got the carrier in the general shape i want. The charging handles will reciprocate (they will be located in roughly the same location as on a standard AK with respect to the grip) and provide an anti bounce weight equivalent to the AR 15 buffer weights. As of now I can use AK wireform spring guides for the size of spring I need. Its kind of strange how that is working out. The exhaust vents need to be added to the carrier as well as the cam slot (among other things)

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#32]
That's an impressive amount of compatibility.  Does it end up shorter than an AR pistol w/ the short pistol buffer tubes?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's an impressive amount of compatibility.  Does it end up shorter than an AR pistol w/ the short pistol buffer tubes?
View Quote

Well the farthest back the recoil springs go is still within the farthest that the unmodified BCG travels. So if you are talking about a pistol that uses an unmodified BCG, then it is shorter. But if you are talking about a pistol that uses a modified BCG, it may be similar.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Engineers. They have to make everything ugly.

Why is there a semi-circular recess between the pistol grip and the rear stock? How will the trigger linkage work?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#35]
the semi circular cut you are talking about may be for the safety

Coincidentally I worked a little on the trigger linkage. I'm liking just a standard 4 bar.  i'm thinking of making the "trigger cradle" link have the same axis as the trigger. This means there won't be any linear sliding friction...it will be all rotational friction. The trigger pull will also be about 2X longer than the standard ar trigger and that should help with keeping the trigger a little safer. I want to fit the ar trigger spring in the front trigger also to help keep the trigger un pulled.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Engineers. They have to make everything ugly.

Why is there a semi-circular recess between the pistol grip and the rear stock? How will the trigger linkage work?
View Quote

That's where your thumb goes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Probably easier to design a new firearm altogether then try to fit an existing one into another form...
View Quote

But if this used a RR M16 lower......

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably easier to design a new firearm altogether then try to fit an existing one into another form...

You going to cut a slot in your $20K lower for the forward trigger linkage?  This I've got to see.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You going to cut a slot in your $20K lower for the forward trigger linkage?  This I've got to see.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure, but I think  his whole reason for the funky linkage being high was to clear the lower.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]
The idea behind the trigger linkage is to increase the trigger pull so that i can fit some sort of trigger safety and the long trigger pull will make the trigger system more tolerant of slop. The ultimate goal in the trigger would be to make it drop safe (think Glock Safety).  Longer trigger pull will also allow the ar trigger portion of the trigger weight to be reduced due to more mechanical advantage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The BCG is shown in its rearmost position, out of battery and ready to strip a fresh round if not being held by the bolt catch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the BCG has no room to move at all..... looks like a fail to me.

The BCG is shown in its rearmost position, out of battery and ready to strip a fresh round if not being held by the bolt catch.

...and where is the buffer/buffer spring?
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the BCG has no room to move at all..... looks like a fail to me.

I've gone thru a few ideas. Right now the two captured recoil spring assembly fits into the back of the modified carrier.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:57:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I wanted to compare how the rifle to another bullpup so I chose the venerable TAVOR. The comparison made me want to do a couple design changes.  Here is how the design is shaking out. One interesting note is that the published overall length of the TAVOR is without the flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wanted to compare how the rifle to another bullpup so I chose the venerable TAVOR. The comparison made me want to do a couple design changes.  Here is how the design is shaking out. One interesting note is that the published overall length of the TAVOR is without the flash hider. http://i.imgur.com/lSeU6oY.png
View Quote

Interestingly enough that bottom bullpup looks a lot like the FAL test bullpup from the early dev trials. :) keep up the great work i've been following this thread with interest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]
In that we're using the Tavor SAR as a comparison, which offers left-handed shooters left-side ejection using an optional left-hand Bolt, what are your plans for making your design both left- and right-hand user-friendly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In that we're using the Tavor SAR as a comparison, which offers left-handed shooters left-side ejection using an optional left-hand Bolt, what are your plans for making your design both left- and right-hand user-friendly?
View Quote

Fair question. I would on use a left hand AR 15 bolt. The right hand carrier should technically still work. It may need some modification however to be converted. I want to weld or rivet the ejection port not in use. Where to vent the gas is an issue. I'm trying to make the carrier gas exhaust configurable or able to vent the gas forward. Otherwise you would need a left hand carrier.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Speed reading pages 2 thru 8 and there are two things that really jump out at me.

Minimal mention of the Bushmaster Arm Pistol from Mack Gwinn Jr,

Even less mention of the KAC PDW (TSWG), considering the number of pages discussing spring design and placement

Operating the PDW’s bolt carrier are dual short-stroke gas pistons, each with its own spring, which are activated from dual gas cylinders off each side of the gas block/front sight base. All recoil and piston springs are housed inside of the gun
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#48]
. . . And, the Individual Multi-Purpose Weapon IMP-221, chambered for the .221 Fireball

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Yet another example of an attempt to "Bullpup" the AR-15:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=6146.msg58420
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yet another example of an attempt to "Bullpup" the AR-15:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=6146.msg58420
View Quote

So i have a question on those...i'm guessing because they are for personal use the lowers can just be made and there is no need for atf stamps etc for construction of a firearm or am i way off? I've been toying with some ideas for a long time and I need to sit down and get them done.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top