Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2012 6:42:12 AM EDT
I had a hard time deciding what do to for an optics rail on my S12'pup. Of course, the Ultimak is the best solution out there, but the rail sits too low for a cheek-weld without your optics on a riser, and I would have to send it off to get the front gas block drilled/tapped since I have a fixed front post.

I decided to try and mod my own. I played around with some AK rail systems at the gunshow and found that the top half of a UTG Galil rail system had the right dimensions to work in the 'pup. I have so far trimmed back the lower sheilding to clear the stock and made a U(ish)bolt out of 10-24 threaded rod to secure the rail to the gas tube. I also cut 3 steps off th rear of the rail, as it was sitting a little too close to my eye socket for comfort. Modification to the stock with minimal. I just had to remove a little material off the top lip against the barrel to allow the ubolt to pass through.

I like the hight of it. Puts all my optics and the BUIS right where they should be. It's still a rough mockup though. I didn't take my time with the dremel and I only have a u-bolt at the front of the mount for now. Those giant silver coupling nuts at the front aren't going to stay either. The rear is just secured only by sheet metal screws to hold it in place for now. I think I'm going to try bending some flat metal brackets to take place of the u-bolts, as the threaded rods I had used to the make them are a PITA to bend into shape without snapping.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok...finally got around to uploading some of the pictures. I made a couple brackets to mount the rail around the gas tube. I could only get the front and center mounting points. There is absolutly no usable clearance towards between the barrel and gas tube towards the read. The two forward brackets moun the rail on solid, so I simply have a couple set screws run into the stock itself through the holes. Not needed, but the uniform look pleases my borderline OCD at bay. :P

Only the front bracket is mounted in the pics. I had to take back to work and grind it down a bit...made it too long. It's basically just steel bar with a nut tack welded to the underside.

Zero clearence for the rear...

Minor modification to stock to clear the screws...

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
As it sits complete. Primary Arms Micro Dot and Magpul BUIS. Assembly has held zero with 50 rounds of assorted buck and slugs, including 3" magnums.

Nice streamline fit from the top.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That is nearly exactly what I did. I put up the videos over on youtube of the drop test on concrete. I'm using a Aimpoint instead, but same Galil rail top half!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top