Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd really like to see someone that has been fortunate enough to have received their RFB to do some sort of accuracy assessment with the rifle.  I've heard that the ergonomics are great but haven't heard much about accuracy at different distances.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd really like to see someone that has been fortunate enough to have received their RFB to do some sort of accuracy assessment with the rifle.  I've heard that the ergonomics are great but haven't heard much about accuracy at different distances.

I've read reports that accuracy with some was very ho-hum. 2-5  MOA while some RFBs got 1MOA. I think KT tried to blame it on ammo saying you shouldn't use surplus since the RFB wasn't designed to shoot surplus I personally think it's a bit fo a cop out as some guns can shoot 1MOA with surplus like SA no problem. Remember the RFB uses the barrel as a spine, not free floated. That said, I still want one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read reports that accuracy with some was very ho-hum. 2-5  MOA while some RFBs got 1MOA. I think KT tried to blame it on ammo saying you shouldn't use surplus since the RFB wasn't designed to shoot surplus I personally think it's a bit fo a cop out as some guns can shoot 1MOA with surplus like SA no problem. Remember the RFB uses the barrel as a spine, not free floated. That said, I still want one.

Just got the latest issue of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement and they tested the RFB with an EOTech and 3X magnifier.  Shooting 147gr FMJ the best three shot group was 1.37" at 100 meters.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find me a semi-auto military-style .308 that will shoot 1 MOA consistently with most military surplus loads.

Radway Green prints 4-5 MOA in my M1A, while Wolf crap ammo will do 1.75 MOA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find me a semi-auto military-style .308 that will shoot 1 MOA consistently with most military surplus loads.

As I understood it the issue is that the barrel twist is wrong for M80 spec ammo so that even if you have the cleanest, nicest, most consistent 147 gr ammo in the world the rifle is not likely to shoot it well. (RFB is 1:11.25, a standard FAL is 1:12)

In other word when shooting surplus with the RFB you now have two factors impacting accuracy rather than just one - the rifle itself not being optimized for what you are shooting and the ammo itself (whereas a good semi .308 is only being impacted by the ammo quality itself).

Personally I think that was a bad idea for the shorter model since people are going to be getting that for closer in shooting and practice and will want the rifle to be getting the best accuracy it can from cheap surplus ammo for general practice and fun at the range. For the target model it makes sense because it is optimized because people will be able to get the best accuracy they can out of their expensive heavier target loads.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
RFB CARBINE FED .308M 100M 6X ACOG  
3/4" centers, 4 shot group, shouldered

http://i42.tinypic.com/5ofl1u.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice, what grain ammo?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
FEDERAL's 168gr BTHP MATCH cartridge

http://i41.tinypic.com/10x5vu0.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
stymie,

Thanks for the range report.  Do you have any other feedback about the performance of the RFB since so many of us are waiting an eternity to get our hands on one?????
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The KTOG (Kel-Tec Owner's Group) website has some good info on these carbines...

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1242925528

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=499
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag  I see one of these in my future.  Too bad I can't use a can with it in WA
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump... to keep the dream of one day owning a reasonably priced RFB alive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bump... to keep the dream of one day owning a reasonably priced RFB alive.

We may not live that long!!

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
KT is building a new warehouse to be completed in a few weeks. They say it will free up space for new CNC machines which will allow them to go all out with the RFB
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
KT is building a new warehouse to be completed in a few weeks. They say it will free up space for new CNC machines which will allow them to go all out with the RFB

Yesss.... RFB's for everyone in two weeks!!!  

jk, I hope that is accurate and they will be cranking them out in time for Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yesss.... RFB's for everyone in two weeks!!!  

jk, I hope that is accurate and they will be cranking them out in time for Christmas.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/news.htm
Construction of our new 12,500 sq-ft building is currently underway and scheduled to be completed early 4th quarter. This new facility will be used as a warehouse to free up space in the main factory for new CNC machines specifically for RFB production.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Construction of our new 12,500 sq-ft building is currently underway and scheduled to be completed early 4th quarter. This new facility will be used as a warehouse to free up space in the main factory for new CNC machines specifically for RFB production.

Good info at that link.

Another thought though... Since they haven't started full scale production, I wonder if they would consider changing the rifling twist on the carbine barrels? I sort of doubt they would, but by now they've gotta know that most people are not happy with their choice, because most of us aren't gonna waste our money on 168 grain match ammo to shoot in a weapon that's not designed to be a tack driver in the first place. As others have stated above, they need to optimize the barrel for 147 grain surplus. If they want to keep the current twist on the one with the longer barrel, fine, but not on the carbine.

While I'm not too hopeful about them listening, it sure would be nice if they did. It's only logical, and will result in fewer complaints/happier customers in the long run.

Unless they've already bought a shitload of barrel blanks, it just doesn't seem to me that it would be all that hard for them to switch it now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 - What does the relevant mil spec call for?  Mil-C-9963F for M193 = Accuracy: maximum of a two inch mean radius at 200 yards from ten 10 shot groups (~3 MOA).  "Statistically average" M193 ranges from 1.2 to 1.6 inches mean radius, which is equivalent to 1.8 to 2.4 MOA.  (Ammo Oracle) MIL-C-63989 for M855 = Accuracy: maximum of approximately four MOA over the 100 to 600 yard range.  Typical accuracy of average lots in an M16A2 is about 2+ MOA.  (Ammo Oracle).  I don't see how a rifle is supposed to shoot mil spec ammo better than the mil spec ammo is supposed to shoot

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I've had quite a bit of surplus - including radway - that shoots better than 4moa. Lots of it does about 2moa in my HK91 clone.

The bottom line is that some individual rifles just shoot better with different ammo even when there's no particularly obvious reason for it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got back from the range a few hours ago-  My FAL, which will shoot 3.5 moa with Remington Core-Lokt handloads, wouldn't shoot either RG or Hirtenberger any better than around 5-6 moa.

FWIW.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 - What does the relevant mil spec call for?  Mil-C-9963F for M193 = Accuracy: maximum of a two inch mean radius at 200 yards from ten 10 shot groups (~3 MOA).  "Statistically average" M193 ranges from 1.2 to 1.6 inches mean radius, which is equivalent to 1.8 to 2.4 MOA.  (Ammo Oracle) MIL-C-63989 for M855 = Accuracy: maximum of approximately four MOA over the 100 to 600 yard range.  Typical accuracy of average lots in an M16A2 is about 2+ MOA.  (Ammo Oracle).  I don't see how a rifle is supposed to shoot mil spec ammo better than the mil spec ammo is supposed to shoot

Umm... that's a strawman argument, you don't need 1MOA to outshoot 2-5MOA. Saiga 308s can shoot 2MOA with surplus.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40227
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I am very interested in the RFB, but I have a few questions. How do you clear it? Obviously you remove the magazine, and cycle the bolt to remove a chambered round, but how do you visually check to make sure the chamber is indeed empty?

Also, how do you clear a stoppage? Do you have to disassemble the rifle to clear a failure to feed, or failure to extract/eject?

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but I was unable to find the answers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am very interested in the RFB, but I have a few questions. How do you clear it? Obviously you remove the magazine, and cycle the bolt to remove a chambered round, but how do you visually check to make sure the chamber is indeed empty?

Also, how do you clear a stoppage? Do you have to disassemble the rifle to clear a failure to feed, or failure to extract/eject?

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but I was unable to find the answers.

To clear it, you lock the bolt back, remove magazine, and turn rifle upside down to look into magwell.

For a stoppage, you'd do the same thing you would on any other weapon: remove magazine, work action to reduce the stoppage, replace magazine, drop bolt, continue firing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I want this rifle so damn bad!
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A couple years of that and you'll get over it like a lot of us did.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info at that link.

Another thought though... Since they haven't started full scale production, I wonder if they would consider changing the rifling twist on the carbine barrels? I sort of doubt they would, but by now they've gotta know that most people are not happy with their choice, because most of us aren't gonna waste our money on 168 grain match ammo to shoot in a weapon that's not designed to be a tack driver in the first place. As others have stated above, they need to optimize the barrel for 147 grain surplus. If they want to keep the current twist on the one with the longer barrel, fine, but not on the carbine.

While I'm not too hopeful about them listening, it sure would be nice if they did. It's only logical, and will result in fewer complaints/happier customers in the long run.

Unless they've already bought a shitload of barrel blanks, it just doesn't seem to me that it would be all that hard for them to switch it now.

Why would they try to eek the most out of ammo that isn't ever going to be that accurate anyhow?  I would rather have the ability to be accurate with one kind of ammo than not accurate with any.  While we are at it, How off is the KT's twist rate of 11.25" to the FAL's 12" twist?  Maybe I got some info mashed up somehow but I still don't get the reasoning.

Also, my bolt gun is a 12" twist that shoots tiny groups with 168gr match ammo, but shoots patterns with surplus. 2-3" groups or so. I don't think that you are ever going to get much better than that with surplus ammo no matter the twist.

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple years of that and you'll get over it like a lot of us did.

Speak for yourself :(
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#28]
It looks like someone over at KTOG had a case head separation in their new RFB  (I guess they can take the abuse):

Wes_Janson
  Re: reloading .308 economical?
Reply #15 - Today at 10:00:54    Quote:

I just had a case head separation in my RFB last night, and it didn't do anything other than cause a jam.  Pop the bolt out, slide the broken head off the extractors, put it back together and keep shooting.  Had the front of the case been stuck in the chamber it would've sucked, but case extractor tools are available fairly cheaply for 7.62x51.

If you're going to pick up range brass in .308, my suggestion would be to hang around a larger outdoor range and wait for someone shooting nicer match-grade brass who's not reloading it.  Hang around them, scoop it up if they don't want it, and make sure you don't pick up any other headstamps.  That way you know for sure it's only been fired once (so long as you see them taking it out of the factory box), and you know it's all fired from one rifle with identical characteristics.

Ammunition was Georgia Arms 168gr BTHP "Canned Heat", headstamped LC 05.  The primer was completely flattened, as was the headstamp.  Overpressure load combined with weakened brass, IMO.  Most likely the LC 05 was fired in a machinegun with overly-long headspace, causing stretching and weakening of the brass (one of the big problems with reloading once-fired .mil brass).  There were also some strange, straight-edge lines on the head of the case, as well as inside the bottom of the web next to the primer hole...not sure what caused them, but whatever it was probably didn't do anything to improve the strength of the case.

Based on the scorch marks, it appears that the gas never blew back past the case head (still bright and shiny), and the brass contracted after firing enough to just fall out of the chamber.

This was before shooting any Wolf, BTW.  After the case head separation I decided I'd feel more comfortable shooting the Wolf and switched over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It looks like someone over at KTOG had a case head separation in their new RFB  (I guess they can take the abuse):

Wes_Janson
  Re: reloading .308 economical?
Reply #15 - Today at 10:00:54    Quote:

I just had a case head separation in my RFB last night, and it didn't do anything other than cause a jam.  Pop the bolt out, slide the broken head off the extractors, put it back together and keep shooting.  Had the front of the case been stuck in the chamber it would've sucked, but case extractor tools are available fairly cheaply for 7.62x51.

If you're going to pick up range brass in .308, my suggestion would be to hang around a larger outdoor range and wait for someone shooting nicer match-grade brass who's not reloading it.  Hang around them, scoop it up if they don't want it, and make sure you don't pick up any other headstamps.  That way you know for sure it's only been fired once (so long as you see them taking it out of the factory box), and you know it's all fired from one rifle with identical characteristics.

Ammunition was Georgia Arms 168gr BTHP "Canned Heat", headstamped LC 05.  The primer was completely flattened, as was the headstamp.  Overpressure load combined with weakened brass, IMO.  Most likely the LC 05 was fired in a machinegun with overly-long headspace, causing stretching and weakening of the brass (one of the big problems with reloading once-fired .mil brass).  There were also some strange, straight-edge lines on the head of the case, as well as inside the bottom of the web next to the primer hole...not sure what caused them, but whatever it was probably didn't do anything to improve the strength of the case.

Based on the scorch marks, it appears that the gas never blew back past the case head (still bright and shiny), and the brass contracted after firing enough to just fall out of the chamber.

This was before shooting any Wolf, BTW.  After the case head separation I decided I'd feel more comfortable shooting the Wolf and switched over.

That was me.  Didn't do anything to the rifle, and I kept on shooting...put even more rounds through it today, and more planned tomorrow.  The RFB kicks ass!
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice, put an extra couple rounds down range for me    
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info at that link.

Why would they try to eek the most out of ammo that isn't ever going to be that accurate anyhow?  I would rather have the ability to be accurate with one kind of ammo than not accurate with any.  While we are at it, How off is the KT's twist rate of 11.25" to the FAL's 12" twist?  Maybe I got some info mashed up somehow but I still don't get the reasoning.

Also, my bolt gun is a 12" twist that shoots tiny groups with 168gr match ammo, but shoots patterns with surplus. 2-3" groups or so. I don't think that you are ever going to get much better than that with surplus ammo no matter the twist.

Maybe by the time that Spring comes round there were be a few RFBs available?!  If that's that case, then I may be able to pick one up after I get my bonus.  It's sad to have to plan for years to purchase a rifle such as this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I never even heard of this rifle when I saw one at my dealer's for $1250 on Wednesday.  I went home and did some research, stewed over it for two days, and bought it.  I will spend some time thinking about an optic so it'll sit in the safe until then.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool, and great price!  Post some pics when you get a chance.  What serial number is it by the way?
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, I never even heard of this rifle when I saw one at my dealer's for $1250 on Wednesday.  I went home and did some research, stewed over it for two days, and bought it.  I will spend some time thinking about an optic so it'll sit in the safe until then.

I hate you.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you.

Me too.  Not only did you buy a RFB, but you bought one at under dealer pricing.  I've already picked out the glass I want for the RFB, Trijicon accupoint 1.25X4 German #4 reticle, haven't decided if I want the green or amber.

But still no RFB  I just want to see one in person.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you.

Me too.  Not only did you buy a RFB, but you bought one at under dealer pricing.  I've already picked out the glass I want for the RFB, Trijicon accupoint 1.25X4 German #4 reticle, haven't decided if I want the green or amber.

I propose a solution; send me your optics and when I shoot it I will promise to tell you what a great time I had!  

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't think the people that say $1,250 is under dealer price really KNOWS what the dealer price is.  My local shop had two RFB's for sale both for $1,295 (which sold instantly) and the bar code sticker on the side of the box said MSRP $1,295.00 so who is correct?  Just because you seen them on Gun Broker for $2,000 - $3,000 doesn't mean that is the MSRP let along dealer price.  I was only able to fondle the RFB because the guy that purchased it hadn't picked it up yet.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't think the people that say $1,250 is under dealer price really KNOWS what the dealer price is.  My local shop had two RFB's for sale both for $1,295 (which sold instantly) and the bar code sticker on the side of the box said MSRP $1,295.00 so who is correct?  Just because you seen them on Gun Broker for $2,000 - $3,000 doesn't mean that is the MSRP let along dealer price.  I was only able to fondle the RFB because the guy that purchased it hadn't picked it up yet.

MadDog

If a dealer allowed customers to fondle MY weapons AFTER I paid for them I would be PISSED!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't think the people that say $1,250 is under dealer price really KNOWS what the dealer price is.

IIRC Dealer price is ~$1150 according to some info Kel-Tec posted a few months back.  I can't find that info to verify, but the price those two RFB's sold for in your experience would add credibility to that number.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you.

That's a sweet AccuPoint & the german #4 reticle is superb. Take a look at the 1 - 4x AccuPoint variant with the 30mm tube; light gathering properties are wonderful! The yellow reticle lasts a LONG time, but tends to wash the target; I'd suggest the green. I opted for the 6x MGO ACOG. Got my can the other day, an AAC Cyclone...

http://i34.tinypic.com/24vlcvk.jpg

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Styme, can you please post a full profile pic of your RFB with that ACOG?  I just ordered a TA55A and now I'm wondering if it's going to look huge on the gun.

Also, what is that you are using for a cheek-pad?

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think the people that say $1,250 is under dealer price really KNOWS what the dealer price is.

IIRC Dealer price is ~$1150 according to some info Kel-Tec posted a few months back.  I can't find that info to verify, but the price those two RFB's sold for in your experience would add credibility to that number.

1187.98 Dealer

$1880.00 MSRP

According to the video below of a Kel Tec Rep at SHOT Show 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4K_PPe5Rnk
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Styme, can you please post a full profile pic of your RFB with that ACOG?  I just ordered a TA55A and now I'm wondering if it's going to look huge on the gun.

Also, what is that you are using for a cheek-pad?

"brute force and ignorance always conquer elegance and charisma."

I'll try to get a full profile pic later this week...

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1242925528

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245430936

I have a Caldwell Steady Rest NXT shooting platform. It has a black, stick-on, cushioned pad on the base of the forward assembly. The pad employs a rather aggressive adhesive & is quite flexible, conforming to the contours of the steel upper receiver of the RFB carbine, btw. NO trimming is req'd; it's the perfect shape & size. Just clean the upper with alcohol, rub dry, peel the backing & stick the pad on. Looks great & is quite comfortable while the rest of the gun is HOT.    

-Front base pad part #309-655 for product #548-664 "Steady Rest NXT"    
www.caldwellshooting.com   877 509-9160    
(((((((((((((((((((((((($3ea for the pad + shipping))))))))))))))))))))))))))  

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Stymie, your rifle is identical almost to what mine is going to look like. Only difference is that I am running a tango down stubby vertical grip and I'm going with the 7.62SD instead of the cyclone since I want to quickly switch it between several weapons.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a sweet AccuPoint & the german #4 reticle is superb. Take a look at the 1 - 4x AccuPoint variant with the 30mm tube; light gathering properties are wonderful! The yellow reticle lasts a LONG time, but tends to wash the target; I'd suggest the green. I opted for the 6x MGO ACOG. Got my can the other day, an AAC Cyclone...

http://i34.tinypic.com/24vlcvk.jpg

TWITCH....Drooooool......

Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

MadDog

Bill Hicks & Co dealer price is $1,293.75  but have yet to have one in stock so I am sure your local gun store bought them some where else, and for a lower price.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Thought of buying one but they sure are taking their sweet time producing in numbers where I can FIND one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thought of buying one but they sure are taking their sweet time producing in numbers where I can FIND one.

Yep, I went to a few places in my area to check out prices on one of the new HK45C but was really hoping by some miracle that i'd run into an RFB. No luck but I did buy the HK45C  

One of the places I went to didn't even know what an RFB was. "Um.....we got a Kel Tec .223 carbine for $499?'' and I said "Um... no thanks"
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool.... just saw a write-up on this in Rifleman mag... didn't realize it was actually in stores... going to have to flip a few pages back to see some people's I geuss
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Just read over on KTOG that heat is a bit of a problem.  I wonder what Kel-Tec will do to remedy it?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top