Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 1:29:14 PM EDT
Always looking for options when it comes to hunting coyotes.  Just wondering if the 35gr. bullet will stabilize and be fairly accurate.  Any experiences?

TIA for any info.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never played with anything lighter than 50 grains. Your 1/9 is faster than needed by to stabilize by a large margin. 1/14 would be more than enough.

I have found 50 to 53 grain bullets to be outstanding performers on target. Accuracy is excellent no matter what twist rate you use them in. The 35's are designed for high velocity use on varmints. Post your results for public consumption. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never played with anything lighter than 50 grains. Your 1/9 is faster than needed by to stabilize by a large margin. 1/14 would be more than enough.

I have found 50 to 53 grain bullets to be outstanding performers on target. Accuracy is excellent no matter what twist rate you use them in. The 35's are designed for high velocity use on varmints. Post your results for public consumption. Thanks.
View Quote
I have not had much luck with 40 grain bullets in a 1:8 that I have.  The same bullets shoot a bit better in the 1:9 barrels, but not great.   I'd say you'd be really on the edge of a reliable bullet and barrel combo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have not had much luck with 40 grain bullets in a 1:8 that I have.  The same bullets shoot a bit better in the 1:9 barrels, but not great.   I'd say you'd be really on the edge of a reliable bullet and barrel combo.
View Quote
Try Sierra, Hornady or Nosler 52/53 grain bullets with a powder on the fast side of medium burn rates. H322, RE-10X, AA-2015, LT-32, VihtaVuori N133 and even H4198 will work great with these bullets. I rarely ever get larger than 1" groups using them once I get the charge weight dialed in.

I'm currently using 22.3 grains of LT-32 with Hornady 52 grain hpbt match bullets, Russian kvb-5,56m (magnum) primers with an OAL of 2.200".

20.6 grains of H4198 has been very accurate with these bullets but won't cycle every rifle gassed barrel I own. It works great in carbine systems. This is a maximum load in my rifles and creates 3177 fps from my Winchester bolt action. 3200 fps is considered tops in every reloading manual I have ever referenced. I'm close to 1.0 whole grain under their published maximum charge weight.

The OP should use one of the powders I referenced to drive his light bullets efficiently.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Try Sierra, Hornady or Nosler 52/53 grain bullets with a powder on the fast side of medium burn rates. H322, RE-10X, AA-2015, LT-32, VihtaVuori N133 and even H4198 will work great with these bullets. I rarely ever get larger than 1" groups using them once I get the charge weight dialed in.

I'm currently using 22.3 grains of LT-32 with Hornady 52 grain hpbt match bullets, Russian kvb-5,56m (magnum) primers with an OAL of 2.200".

20.6 grains of H4198 has been very accurate with these bullets but won't cycle every rifle gassed barrel I own. It works great in carbine systems. This is a maximum load in my rifles and creates 3177 fps from my Winchester bolt action. 3200 fps is considered tops in every reloading manual I have ever referenced. I'm close to 1.0 whole grain under their published maximum charge weight.

The OP should use one of the powders I referenced to drive his light bullets efficiently.
View Quote
Yep, once I go over 50gr I get much better results.  Actually bought some 52 gr match bullets to play with for that very reason.  Seems like the really light bullets are difficult to get to work well without a lot of load development.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, the 52 and 53 grain bullets have been great in my 1:9" RRA 16" carbine.  Just a few days ago I shot 100 yd. groups ranging from 5/8" to 1 1/8" using 25.5 grains of Varget pushing a Hornady 53 grain Match bullet.  Using 26 grains of H335 and Sierra 52 grain MatchKing bullets, my groups ran from 1" to 1 3/16".  My wife, using 26.0 grains of TAC pushing a Sierra 52 grain MK bullet, got her best group at 1 1/4", but I've seen her shoot some sub-1" groups on other days.

That said, between my findings and yours it probably proves that the 52-53 grain bullets aren't overly finicky about which powder we're using.  Keeping in mind that the 16" RRA carbine, while being a good shooting rifle, is not the most accurate AR I own (and my Leupold scope maxxed out at 4 power).

As far as posting results, I have not purchased any 35 grain bullets yet as I was going to use information from this thread to see if it is even a worthwhile cause or not to try them.  What I was hoping for was more posters that had actually tried them and what their results were.  I don't think I am going to try them, but if I change my mind and do so in the future, I will certainly post my results here.  I have never used bullets below 52 grains in any of my AR's and was amazed that there even was a bullet as light as 35 grains.

Thanks again for the posts I received.  I got enough information that I think I'll pass on buying the 35-grainers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I ended up with a box of the Hornady 35 gr VMax.  Funny little bullets, they are fairly blunt nosed, with a polymer tip.  Waste-not-want not, I loaded them up over 21.9 gr of 4198.  Shot them out of a 20" 1/8 barrel at 200 yards, and I'll be damned if they didn't shoot pretty amazing.   I think I shot some out of my 1/9 Middy too, with similar results.  My 1/9 AUG likes them too.   The little guys explode on contact with the back-board the target is on, but otherwise they cut paper like wad-cutters.  Cycling can be iffy, they worked for me, but didn't always bolt-lock.

In a 1/9, I imagine they would shoot great.  Just be aware these are really 22-hornet bullets, so try to keep the velocity mild.  I saved some of that ammo-for 3-gun, since recoil is pretty much non-existent with a mild load these things.

On a related note, Wideners was dumping the 40 gr Speer SP bullets a couple years ago for next to nothing (like, 4 cents a bullet).  So I bought a few.. thousand.  Those Speer 40gr bullets completely suck.  No matter what I do, they are 4-6 MOA bullets, or the occasional 2 MOA group, with a flyer to 4-6 MOA (meaning, they're 4-6 MOA).  I have to use that crap as 3-gun 15 yard ammo, as that's all it's good for.

But the Hornady 35 gr bullet?  That's actually a pretty great little bullet.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a non-lead core bullet, so it's probably more like a 50gr SP in length.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the 30 grain Barnes Varmint grenade in both my 1/8 24" AR and my gfs 1/8 18" AR with H335.

Accuracy was meh. Best 5 round group was .955" at 100 yards out of the 18" AR.

It would not cycle the AR at that charge weight though. At the high charge weights, the mid-length gas system worked ok.

It would not cycle my 24" rifle length gas system AR at all. Even at the highest charge. And, I guess the extra 6" of barrel was bad for accuracy because I seem to remember nothing better than 2" groups with that rifle and bullet.

I know its not your 35gr bullet, but I think 556 was meant for 50+ gr bullets. The 22 hornet needs 40- gr bullets.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know its not your 35gr bullet, but I think 556 was meant for 50+ gr bullets. The 22 hornet needs 40- gr bullets.
View Quote
I'll embarrassingly admit that when I saw the bullet in the Hornady catalog, it never crossed my mind that there are OTHER .224" calibers out there besides the 5.56/.223 Remington. Duh!!!  And I own a .22-250 for cryin' out loud.  I've been so locked into my .22 caliber AR's the past 3+ years, that my bolt-action rifles have been sitting in my safe collecting dust, except for a patch or two down the bores every now and then.

But yeah, I think I'll agree with you and the others that the less-than 50 grainers were intended for cases with less powder capacities such as the .22 Hornet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top