Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 11:30:18 PM EDT
I'm just now getting into 6.5Creedmoor. The goal is long range precision, well over 1000 yards.

Should I go small or large rifle primer pockets on the brass?

I'm sure there are a ton of threads but I just came across a more than stellar deal on brass and have to move quick. Feel free to give me pointers in here too:)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lapua brass has small rifle primer pockets. CCI-450 primers are highly recommended by everyone shooting this round in competition. I used both developing loads this week and am very happy with the results.

39.5 to 40.5 grains of H4350 hammered at 100 yards using Norma 130 grain Golden Target bullets seated .010" off the rifling. OAL was 2.835" in my rifle.

I will do more testing, but for the first time out that powder charge range produced 5/8" to 3/4" five shot groups.

Lapua brass is as good as it gets. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Well damn this is music! The deal im getting is on small rifle primer brass. It's starline brass.

I am all about the Lapua but the deal I'm getting I just can't pass up. Like .40/brass
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a reminder that Creedmoor from Starline in the small primer pocket comes with a standard flash hole 0.080".
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a reminder that Creedmoor from Starline in the small primer pocket comes with a standard flash hole 0.080".
View Quote
What's the impact of a .080 fh?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that small rifle primers give lower SD and ES than large rifle primers in the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. 6.5x47 Lapua and 6x47 Lapua, (which, alongside 6.5 Creedmoor and 6MM Creedmoor, as the top ranking cartridges in the Precision Rifle Series) have a small primer pocket, as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I was trying to get good loads out of my 1x fired Hornady brass. After tons of testing, I was only getting OK results.

I finally found 300 pieces of new Lapua brass and was able to find a great load very quickly. The 6.5 guys loaded Lapua brass many times, and had great results also.

I figure I will anneal my brass every third loading. Hoping to get at least 15 loads out of each case, if not 20.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Flash hole size make impact accuracy potential.
Lapua
PPC and BR brass comes with the 0.062 flash hole and small primer pocket
As does their 6.5x47, 308 Palma, and 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flash hole size make impact accuracy potential.
Lapua
PPC and BR brass comes with the 0.062 flash hole and small primer pocket
As does their 6.5x47, 308 Palma, and 6.5 Creedmoor
View Quote
Yeah I was going to make a fast purchase when I made this thread but been doing research since and basically what you just said is what I found out.

Now I need to find Lapua brass. Evidently it's sold out everywhere. Lapua is one of those companies that doesn't really what ya to call them so after digging up their USA number on Snipers Hide, I got ahold of a human at Lapua and he told me soon they'll have more in the stores soon but "can't give me dates or details"

If anyone knows where to find any, let me know!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top