Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 7:24:16 PM EDT
I have a question on the quality of Starline brass.  Is it as good as Remington/Winchester/Hornady brass, or is it "second tier" quality?

I'm preparing to reload for .357 Magnum.   I have very little once fired brass in my stockpile, and what I do have is a hodge podge of various headstamps.

I want to maintain consistent headstamps for this caliber, and was considering a couple bags of Starline .357 to provide my brass.

I happened to come across discussion on another reloading forum where at least some posters were saying once fired brass from a major manufacturer was superior to Starline.  Any truth to this, or simply people expressing opinion as "fact"?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Starline Brass quality?  Absolutely outstanding.  They're awesome.

I'm not good at "gushing," but really Starline is a go-to source for brass for a reason.

Somebody who thinks of Starline as "second tier" needs to rethink that.  Or they invested heavily in a bunch of brass from someone else and now they need to justify it to themselves....
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Starline exclusively for all my 10mm, .45 Colt and .454 Casull loads, as well as for my 9mm and .45 ACP SD loads...it's the best brass for straight wall pistol cartridges I've used.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullseye guys love it. Federal would be next. Everything else down the line.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I reload it in .357 and love it.  Plan to buy more of it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I also love Star Line brass, but this happened a few years ago.
.454 Casull.
I don't know when these things happened, I found them after I got home and started the "reloading part of the shooting".
Raging Bull (.454), new brass,  hand loaded, and the other 75 loads I shot were just fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had any problems with Starline brass.

I don't often get new brass but with the 500 S&W it's one of the rare occasions when buying new brass and loading it is cheaper than buying ammo. Especially when you don't want to shoot full power loads.

My new Starline 500 S&W brass seems as good as any of the other brands that I have.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Starline has always been top notch quality.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Starline is top notch. That's why the guys on 6.8 forum are cranked up now that Starline announced they are producing new 6.8 brass.
I use their 10mm and 45-70 and love it. I signed up for the "email me when in stock" notification on the 6.8 brass.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.  I trust this Reloading forum over all others, and I'm guessing there was some reason other than objective performance behind the comments that caused my question.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starline is top notch. That's why the guys on 6.8 forum are cranked up now that Starline announced they are producing new 6.8 brass.
I use their 10mm and 45-70 and love it. I signed up for the "email me when in stock" notification on the 6.8 brass.
View Quote
That's fantastic news about Starline and 6.8 brass.  I have been slowly growing my 6.8 brass stockpile with Federal and S&B cases.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind that most people love their straight cases but I have yet to read a bottleneck review. So, dont assume its "tops". Lapua is my tops there. Would love to see some reviews of their newer rifle cases....
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's fantastic news about Starline and 6.8 brass.  I have been slowly growing my 6.8 brass stockpile with Federal and S&B cases.
View Quote
Prvi just imported a bunch of loaded ammo in 110g BTHP and FMJ.  I ordered 5 20rd boxes of each from AIM last week to try out. Main reason was to have to the brass to reload and try out. I've reloaded their 7.5 Swiss with very good results, so I expect the same with the 6.8
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Why anyone would think less of starline pistol brass is unreal.
And, all OEM brass companies have bad batches escape their watchful eyes!

The problem is that WW and Remington at the height of slim pickens abandoned the reloaders.  So, now you have places popping up or expanding their offerings.
Some brass is priced out of sight, ie Nosler.

Other small vendors have good product but poor brand recognition.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
It is excellent and blows standard Winchester brass out of the water.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
When I got into .44 Mag, I got 1,000 Starline cases.  About 800 are still NIB.  Of the ones I've used, some have been loaded over 5 times with 23.5gr of 296 and a 240gr XTP.  They still load, look, and shoot like new.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Starline does pretty good discounts on bulk purchases, my LG club used to put in bulk orders through the LGS.

If you don't want to a 1K order, you could find someone to split a K with. At 135.50 shipped, it is a good investment. Especially if you're not going to hotrod the 357.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that most people love their straight cases but I have yet to read a bottleneck review. So, dont assume its "tops". Lapua is my tops there. Would love to see some reviews of their newer rifle cases....
View Quote
Same here.  Their pistol cases are top notch, decent price, and availability is good.  

I been thinking about buying some 308 brass, but I havent heard any reviews yet.  A buddy of mine with a 6.5 CM is stoked they have small primer brass.  Id like to see some 6.5 Grendel brass from them as well.

They could make a decent product that does 95% of what really good Lapua brass does for 1/2 the price, and it would sell like crazy.  They just need to get some reviews out there where people really look into it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a question on the quality of Starline brass.  Is it as good as Remington/Winchester/Hornady brass, or is it "second tier" quality?
I happened to come across discussion on another reloading forum where at least some posters were saying once fired brass from a major manufacturer was superior to Starline.  Any truth to this, or simply people expressing opinion as "fact"?
View Quote

I buy a box of cartridges to shoot out of a new gun so that if there is a problem, the gun's maker (or their attorney if it was really bad problem) can't blame my reloads.  After that, it is a matter of pride for me that all of the ammunition that goes through my guns has been assembled by me.  To make this possible, I buy both new and "previously fired" cases.  

The most "challenging" round I load is 5.7mm Johnson (aka 22 Spitfire) which is 30 Carbine brass necked down to 22.  The forming operation cold works the brass considerably, so for it I prefer new brass.  I have found Starline new brass superior to Norma new brass (the only new 30 Carbine brass I could get at the time) in this role as the Starline brass is less likely to 1) suffer mouth splits or 2) developing eccentricities due to inconsistent flow of the brass during the forming operation.  

My experiences are limited to one caliber of Starline brass, but at least in this one instance, it has certainly been the equal of the "major manufacturers".
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Starline brass is better than my old favorite, Winchester brass.
And Winchester brass is very good.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm preparing to reload for .357 Magnum.   I have very little once fired brass in my stockpile, and what I do have is a hodge podge of various headstamps.

I want to maintain consistent headstamps for this caliber, and was considering a couple bags of Starline .357 to provide my brass.

View Quote

I consider Starline to be top notch.  I use their 357 brass.  It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's hard to beat Lapua's brass.  But when I've saved enough pennies, I'm going to be buying Starline .223, .308 and 300 Blackout cases.  Because the one thing you can beat about Lapua is the price...  As you say, though, t
Starline's bottleneck cases have yet to prove themselves over a range of calibers.  I'm hoping that they do prove themselves.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I started reloading 44 Mag for a friend's rifle and he bought 100 new Starlines for me.. Maybe it was a bad batch, but upwards of 30% were under the trim-to length even after sizing.  I went with between 1.274-1.2755 as my target and trimmed a few, pulled most without trimming and worked up a good load with them.  Haven't seen what effect using a 1.272 case has whether it will shoot where the others do.  I'm using a pretty heavy crimp (Lee FCD), maybe I need to load a few of the shorties and give it a try.  Other than that the Starline brass seems to hold up well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I started reloading 44 Mag for a friend's rifle and he bought 100 new Starlines for me.. Maybe it was a bad batch, but upwards of 30% were under the trim-to length even after sizing.  I went with between 1.274-1.2755 as my target and trimmed a few, pulled most without trimming and worked up a good load with them.  Haven't seen what effect using a 1.272 case has whether it will shoot where the others do.  I'm using a pretty heavy crimp (Lee FCD), maybe I need to load a few of the shorties and give it a try.  Other than that the Starline brass seems to hold up well.
View Quote
I have found some of their oddball calibers to be a bit short of trim length (tokarev comes to mind). I assumed they kept short because most probably dont trim it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]
It's good brass and they are single-handedly keeping a lot of older, more interesting firearms in the game.

So I give them my dollars.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Starline is the only new brass I buy, at least as far as handgun cartridges go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Bertram Brass got my .50-70 up and running again.

I purchased my first 100 cases by mailing them $20 bills to Australia and them mailing me back brass.

It now uses Starline.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Starline is my go to for 357, 41, and 44 magnums, 50AE as well.  Fine brass to work with, lasts a long time when taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been happy so far with the .38 Special brass I ordered from them to load up a bunch of wadcutter ammo.  I found ordering direct from them to be cheaper than Midway USA pricing, when you factor in shipping costs.

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Starline makes the best brass.  I use 9mm, .38 spl, 45 Colt exclusively.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I discovered something interesting.  The person in my first post who was describing Starline brass as being inferior to factory brass happens to run a side business selling once fired brass from an indoor shooting range.  I think this would explain pushing once fired big name brass as the "best". <emo removed>please read the "read before you post" forum rules. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#35]
They are the only game in town for 458 SOCOM, but the stuff is absolutely outstanding.

The more I get into precision the more I appreciate quality...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish they would make some .455 Webley brass.

That said, getting an order of new Starline brass will cause you to make sounds like Smegal in the Lord of the Rings.

So shiny.

My PRECIOUS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This
View Quote
Same here my favorite quality brass....
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Starline is THE brass for pistol rounds.

I use them for earth shattering .357 & 44 magnum loads through Ruger revolvers,

and now for 10mm in a modified Glock 20SF.

Won't give my load data, but Starline cases have held up through 4 loadings of 240gr XTP moving 1500fps+ in 44 magnum and look good for several more loadings.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't reload anymore but I like the Starline brass that's Ducta-Bright 7a plated from Underwood.

Empties have been going into the range bucket but I'll start picking them up.  Somebody here would want them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Their 45-70 brass is top notch. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow   6.8spc brass

Excellent news

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bertram Brass got my .50-70 up and running again.

I purchased my first 100 cases by mailing them $20 bills to Australia and them mailing me back brass.

It now uses Starline.
View Quote
Did you have an import permit and they an export permit?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been very pleased with my Starline brass.  Just recieved 400 .44 mag I ordered on sale.  I do however run them through the tumbler for a bit before loading them.  They are too sticky otherwise.  I guess from being so clean.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's good brass and they are single-handedly keeping a lot of older, more interesting firearms in the game.

So I give them my dollars.
View Quote
That's a really good point. Makes you wonder what cartridges would be non existent if they didn't produce brass
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been very pleased with my Starline brass.  Just recieved 400 .44 mag I ordered on sale.  I do however run them through the tumbler for a bit before loading them.  They are too sticky otherwise.  I guess from being so clean.
View Quote
This is an issue with wet tumbled brass as well.  The dust from the tumbler functions almost like lube, and makes sizing operations easier.  Before I load wet tumbled pistol cases, I give mine a light squirt of OneShot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is an issue with wet tumbled brass as well.  The dust from the tumbler functions almost like lube, and makes sizing operations easier.  Before I load wet tumbled pistol cases, I give mine a light squirt of OneShot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, that's it.  Wet tumbling, particularly with LemiShine, changes the surface of the brass.  It's not "sticky" as such, but it galls and drags like crazy, even with good lubrication.  I've had some "interesting" experiences with both rifle and pistol cases, particularly dealing with inside case mouth/neck sizing because of this.

Brand new brass may also have the same sort of surface issues.  It has to do with the chemical treatment done to the brass to keep it from tarnishing.  The "old style" method was to clean the brass with a mix of hot nitric and sulfuric acids, and then rinse with an alkaline solution to neutralize the acid.  It sure got the lube from forming those cases off, and it also "passivated" the brass, which changes the surface layer of the alloy, making it highly resistant to tarnish and corrosion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top