Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 12:21:29 PM EDT
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2193453

Saw this the other day.  

I think it has potential.  Anyone tried it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is more chance to get comments if you post a hot link.
View Quote
It is on my iPhone.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a buddy gonna print one up for me over the weekend...looks worth trying out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Made it hot

Interesting, wish I had a 3D printer, or knew someone who did.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Made it hot

Interesting, wish I had a 3D printer, or knew someone who did.
View Quote
Our local library has one.  They charge $1 per HOUR.  I asked about the collator plate itself.  The librarian said it would take just under 4 hours to print.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Our local library has one.  They charge $1 per HOUR.  I asked about the collator plate itself.  The librarian said it would take just under 4 hours to print.
View Quote
That's still dirt cheap when you consider the cost of a Mr. Bulletfeeder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
When I get finished moving I'll make one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, got the files, looks like a total time of about 22hrs !
3 or 4 of the parts have to be done by themselves because they are so large (for a normal machine).

This, is to me, a typical non engineers approach, design a 3d printed thing which looks like a normal thing with no regard to print time, material usage or using something else in its place.   For example why not use a simple quart paint can as the container?  I never feel like waiting 6hrs for something to print.  But some guys like turning a machine on and letting it run for 24hrs straight....I dont, mine are still 'experimental', my luck I'd wake up at 2am to a fire.

I would simplify it myself to reduce print time, but he used OnShape the worst program ever, and I am not redrawing the thing.  I am already redrawing one onshape project that has fubared data files.  I would bet theres a better design out there that prints faster and works just as well. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats IF it comes out right the FIRST TIME.   So far with one chinese boxoparts machine and one homemade machine, I say figure on taking 3 tries to get 1 part right.
Some kid would bump the machine, filament might run out, the nozzle might jam, the part might warp, power might go out, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, got the files, looks like a total time of about 22hrs !
3 or 4 of the parts have to be done by themselves because they are so large (for a normal machine).

This, is to me, a typical non engineers approach, design a 3d printed thing which looks like a normal thing with no regard to print time, material usage or using something else in its place.   For example why not use a simple quart paint can as the container?  I never feel like waiting 6hrs for something to print.  But some guys like turning a machine on and letting it run for 24hrs straight....I dont, mine are still 'experimental', my luck I'd wake up at 2am to a fire.

I would simplify it myself to reduce print time, but he used OnShape the worst program ever, and I am not redrawing the thing.  I am already redrawing one onshape project that has fubared data files.  I would bet theres a better design out there that prints faster and works just as well. 
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing about using a can or flexible piece of plastic for the wall.  The ability to print the different collator plates looked awesome.

This was the first good looking setup that I've found.  If you find any other plans out there please share.   I don't mean this in a snarky way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was trying to teach OP how to do it himself, I could have made it hot.

But I know you mean well.
View Quote
When I made the original post, I did the link thing.  Obviously I didn't do it right, because it's not hot for everyone else, but on my phone and iPad it shows up in red, and when I click it, it takes me to thingiverse.com

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thats IF it comes out right the FIRST TIME.   So far with one chinese boxoparts machine and one homemade machine, I say figure on taking 3 tries to get 1 part right.
Some kid would bump the machine, filament might run out, the nozzle might jam, the part might warp, power might go out, etc, etc.
View Quote
Don't buy a cheap Chicom printer then.

I have two of these that I use for production parts.

http://www.prusa3d.com/
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a good project for Monday.  Thingiverse search feature has been a hit or miss for me lately.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep.  I'm going over to the library Monday and have them get started.  

Also on thingiverse are the live and spent primer chutes for the xl650.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Following! Just bought a 650.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Went to the library earlier today.  

Got this party started.  Between my work schedule and the library hours it'll be next week sometime before it's done.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't see why this wouldn't work well. Bullet collators are ludicrously overpriced for how simple they are, but they sure are nice to have.

I would like to see some 3d printed accessories for the MBF feeders, things like premade inserts for certain bullet profiles instead of having to fiddle with the shims.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't see why this wouldn't work well. Bullet collators are ludicrously overpriced for how simple they are, but they sure are nice to have.

I would like to see some 3d printed accessories for the MBF feeders, things like premade inserts for certain bullet profiles instead of having to fiddle with the shims.
View Quote
Actually, when you look at it from the commercial perspective, they aren't overpriced at all.  How much more would your store bought ammo cost if they needed a person at every press inserting bullets into every case?  The fact that you find use in a commercial product for your private use is great.  Just realize it's not priced for you, but for a commercial enterprise.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually, when you look at it from the commercial perspective, they aren't overpriced at all. How much more would your store bought ammo cost if they needed a person at every press inserting bullets into every case? The fact that you find use in a commercial product for your private use is great. Just realize it's not priced for you, but for a commercial enterprise.
View Quote
You might as well apply the same logic to case feeders, or primer feeders/collators, or anything else. There's a lot more clever engineering in my RF100 primer tube filler than there is in my MBF despite it costing much less, and the early MBFs and KISS bullet feeders looked like hobby projects even when sold on the open market. I don't doubt one bit that a 3d printed version could look just as professional as my newer model MBF. It's literally a low power motor, a rotating plate, a ramp, shims to make finer adjustments for bullet size, and a spring loaded finger to knock away misfeeds. The funny thing is that my (now long gone) GSI feeder was much more complicated but much less effective and limited in designs it could accommodate.

My MBF was money well spent for the bullet feeding dies, not so much the collator. Had I realized how extremely simple the collator was, I would have just made it myself (as many others have, out of spare motors and buckets). However, the MBF dies are far superior to the other available options, like the hornady dies with their collets, and are worth every cent.

I am happy to see innovation in the reloading marketplace, especially when it comes to relatively simple devices like this. I still wonder about how narrow the patent has to be for something like the MBF, because they issued a C&D in fairly quick fashion when EntirelyCrimson starting making his kits.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#24]
It's been removed from Thingiverse.. Dammit, I knew I should have snagged it when it was available.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's been removed from Thingiverse.. Dammit, I knew I should have snagged it when it was available.
View Quote
Probably got threatened by a lawyer from DAA...

It wasnt Rick (The Mr in Mr BulletFeeder) that cracked down on Crimson...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please tell me someone down loaded these files.

I just got back from the library and they only had the one collater plate done.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the files, PM me your mail adress and I'll pass it along.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PM sent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PM sent.
I have them also stashed safely away.

Anyone can PM me for the link.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you Mortenr for the files! 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone try printing it out yet?

I printed out several of the pieces at the local library.   The collator plates didn't turn out very well.   Maybe it's the printer?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Could be lots of stuff.

Whats the printer?  Filament?   What slicer did you use?

What looks poor about the parts?  Pics?

I have not printed this project, I dont have the patience for big multihour prints and I dont trust the machines to not overheat after 5 hours, so i do little stuffs !
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Could be lots of stuff.

Whats the printer?  Filament?   What slicer did you use?

What looks poor about the parts?  Pics?

I have not printed this project, I dont have the patience for big multihour prints and I dont trust the machines to not overheat after 5 hours, so i do little stuffs !
View Quote
Sorry.  Its a makerbot but other than that I don't really know much about it.  

Usually I just go in an tell the librarian what I want And she starts the printer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
The files are back on Thingiverse again.
Bullet Feeder
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Not the same feeder, but it will work to :-)
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
How much filament, or whatever its called would be used? I got some powder adjustment knobs made from a guy that used a 3D printer but those were pretty small and they were cheap. I'm afraid to ask if it's going to take a ton of hours and supplies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How much filament, or whatever its called would be used? I got some powder adjustment knobs made from a guy that used a 3D printer but those were pretty small and they were cheap. I'm afraid to ask if it's going to take a ton of hours and supplies.
View Quote
The plastic spool at the library seems to last a long time.  Ask him what he'd charge you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:00:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
On my Ultimaker 2+ printer ( quit fast) the bullet hopper alone will take about 13 hours to print, and use about 270 grams of plastic (0,59lb)The plastic spools are normaly 1 Kg.

The bullet plate will take about 6 hours to print, and use 125 grams (0,27lb) of plastic

These are calculated numbers by the software, simplify3D, and should be about right.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#40]
For anyone who printed the original feeder, what motor did you use?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Special thanks to mortenr for sending me the files! Just an fyi if you do not have access to a 3d printer you can send the files out to 3d printing shop and have them print and ship it to you. Just looking around it seems that printing the entire bullet feeder from the cheapest plastic (PLA) should be less than 100$ shipped to your door.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have an update on printing this?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I printed out some of the pieces most look good but not having any luck with the base.

Also there is another collator on thingiverse right now.    

Maybe it's a better design, idk.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone have an update on printing this?
View Quote
Just got mine all printed out except the mounting bracket and walls. I need to get get some screws and order the motor to put the whole thing together. I do have some part warping so we will see what happens. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just got mine all printed out except the mounting bracket and walls. I need to get get some screws and order the motor to put the whole thing together. I do have some part warping so we will see what happens. 
View Quote
Keep us updated if you can! Any pictures if possible. :) 

Still wanting to know if its worth it to print this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I do like the concept of the new version bulletfeeder on thingivers

Base plate option for 3 different motors

The guy is updating the project on regular bases

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2504314
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top