Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 4:49:39 AM EDT
From what I could understand from the manuals so far, one needs to resize the case and prime using the Lee Safety Prime system mounted on  a press with that corner bolt, am I right?
what if after full length resizing I want to trim/debur/chamfer? Well... as I can guess, then I do not prime it right after sizing, but rather remove the round.. and it will be non-rotating operation of the Turret. Then, after I sized and then manually (with rotary tool) deburred/trimmed/chamfered cases, I put them in again for priming...

But then my question is...for priming, I again press the case going up for resizing....and I do not want it, correct? cuz the case was already resized and trimmed...

so what is the proper sequence of actions in case of my equipment? (Lee 4 hole Turret classic press + Lee safety prime + Lee dies + Giraud tri-way trim tool)

To all, OP is asking a lot of questions. If you don't wish to help him, don't post.

After 2 indicents I have a short fuse and will freely give warnings and possibly lock you out of the Reloading Forum if you violate the Conduct Code of a Technical Forum. dryflash3
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You only need to raise the ram just high enough to allow the priming arm to move into the ram's primer slot.

Alternatively, prime off-press with a hand primer and skip that step on the press or remove the decap/sizing die form the turret.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
When doing rifle brass on my Lee turret, I used two separate turrets:

Turret one:
Sizing die only, index rod removed so the turret will not rotate.  I size and then remove the case lube.  Trim, chamfer, debur, and remove primer crimp as needed.  Consider investing in an RCBS X-Die as they are designed to limit case stretching during sizing.

If you load for the other rifle calibers, you can put those sizing dies in there.  

Turret two:
Empty Space and prime, powder charge, seat, crimp, index rod installed.

Check out Inline Fabrication - they sell a gizmo that will eject the case after four rotations of the turret.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ok good replies,

strat81, so you say that in turret #2 you have empty space and prime, then my question is, why you are using two turret presses?
Would it be possible for you to do it the way FB41 described, use primer on a same place with sizing die, but lift the ram only high enough to prime and not to size again?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok good replies,

strat81, so you say that in turret #2 you have empty space and prime, then my question is, why you are using two turret presses?
Would it be possible for you to do it the way FB41 described, use primer on a same place with sizing die, but lift the ram only high enough to prime and not to size again?
View Quote
Not two turret presses, two turrets.  

My priming system requires the ram to be at the top of the stroke to place a primer on the seating stem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was loading with a turret press I primed off the press and I loaded rifle cases on a single stage for quite a while.

Move slowly and you'll get it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Think of reloading rifle rounds as a two-part process.  This is because with bottlenecked cases you must first resize then likely trim the brass (not usually necessary with straight-walled cases).  So if I had to do it on your press I would:

1.  Tumble the brass to get it clean.
2.  Lube then resize/deprime with the index rod removed.  You don't have to remove it but it will save you some handle strokes.  Use the press as a single stage.

3.  Clean off the lube (I tumble the brass for about thirty minutes).

4.  Trim to length, ream out any primer crimps, chamfer/deburr the mouth.

5. Either remove the resizing die for priming OR use a separate hand primer to reprime.  This is why for rifle rounds I use a separate press just for resizing/depriming. I actually like to use the turret to prime.

6.  Now you can just replace the index rod and run the rounds through. Reprime at station one (if you have pulled the resizing die), charge with powder at station two, seat bullet at station three, crimp (if desired) at station four.

Sounds confusing at first but it works for me.  A cheap single stage press really helps simplify things.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Good advice so far.

For pistol, you can prime right after sizing and keep going. Not rifle (except in certain circumstances we wont get into).

I rarely size off press even when I had my lee. The lee safety priming system is fantastic. If it's not working for you, call lee or ask for help. Likely you are doing it wrong or its not adjusted right. I gave mine to a friend. It worked great for me. Never an issue. He complained about it until he got rythm right.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was loading with a turret press I primed off the press and I loaded rifle cases on a single stage for quite a while.

Move slowly and you'll get it.
View Quote
This is what I do, unless I have been ambitious and prepped a lot of brass a head of time.  Then I just load them all on the turret. My plinking loads anyway. My precision or hunting loads all get loaded on single stage and every load measured.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a Lee Turret and simply remove the the T-shaped priming arm as I Prime off the press.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top