Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2017 4:01:25 AM EDT
I got this Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure, I know it is not the best, and I will be buying later a good one (redding), but for now, I still want to give it a shot and try to do my first reload with it.

I am loading a .223 with Hornady bullet with recommended Min. charge of 24.8 gr and my powder is CFE-223.

My problem is, as you know that PM has that paper showing different loads and appropriate disk size for each load, so since my powder is CFE-223 from Hodgon, I am looking at that data, but there is no CFE-223 powder in the provided table which came with this PM:

Now.. how would you recommend me to set up this disks to make the PM do the load I showed above?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
you will have to try different disc combinations to get close. you will also have to have the double disc kit and use two disc's to get enough for rifle powder. I use two #88 disc's with 8208XBR and get 24.0.  

I have found that the chart is off and you have to try disc's on either side of the ones called for to get even close.  The new Lee powder measure is alot better than the disc and infinitely adjustable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
get the adjustable charge bar and a decent scale

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Use the VMD here has a start point.
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

.06462   CFE 223

vol cc = gr * VMD,  so 24gr*.06462 = 1.551 cc   - as a start, as stated you may need to go up or down in vol to get what you want.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
i am confused, what I am using "cc" for? I know Volume cc = gr x VMD, but what is cc for in my case? If I am correct neither PM nor load data is in cc, or what am I missing?

Derek, I'll get that adjustable thingy from midway then, but, do I still need Lee Double Disk kit if I get that stuff?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:....Derek, I'll get that adjustable thingy from midway then, but, do I still need Lee Double Disk kit if I get that stuff?
View Quote
I don't think it would work, doubled up.  not sure.

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html

"  Adjustable between .28 cc and 1.6 cc "
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Through that chart away, it's pretty much useless.
Powder volume is going to change with the weather,

usually not much but it can be enough to cause problems.

Get a good scale, adjust disk sizes till you get close to what you want, and load away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i am confused, what I am using "cc" for? I know Volume cc = gr x VMD, but what is cc for in my case? If I am correct neither PM nor load data is in cc, or what am I missing?

Derek, I'll get that adjustable thingy from midway then, but, do I still need Lee Double Disk kit if I get that stuff?
View Quote
cc are the numbers marked on the Lee Disks !

So looking at a disk you see a mark that is 0.32  THATS 0.32 cc

So based on above, you look for 2 disks where the holes add up to 1.55cc, like a 0.80 + 0.75.

OR if you are using the other lee measure, you set the dial, or bar to 1.55 and try it.

Also when starting like this, I would in fact simply take the 2 disks, and a piece of cardstock on a flat table away from the ac.  Stack the disks, and fill the cavity with powder by hand.   Then remove the disks and let the power pile into clean cardstock.  Dump this into the pan and weigh it.  Use this to get 'close', then setup the measure and run 10 dumps, etc.

Keep Notes.  As many said the charts are off, soon you will be able to use your notes to get better at a starting guess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't think it would work, doubled up.  not sure.

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html

"  Adjustable between .28 cc and 1.6 cc "
View Quote
I have a bar, and I hate it.   Really for anything less than about 0.4 it is not repeatable.  Never tried a big load, but probably the same result.
It is not recommended for use in a double stack.

THe disks really are the simplest way.   Or the new one thats adjustable.  I have the old perfect powder measure and its pretty good once setup and wiped with anti-static.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd contact Lee to see if they have data for CFE-223 available.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Id just set it aside and buy an AutoDrum...  
They actually cost less than the disk version and work a heck of alot better and if I remember right, you can use most of the stuff from the disk on the drum like risers and such.

And honestly, the Lee drum probably throws as good charge as the Redding, so dont waste your money.  If you really want a steel powder drop, just buy a Hornady.  

There are reasons to buy Redding equipment, and the powder drop isnt one of them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you ever use a Redding measure?
View Quote
I dont need to.  My tuned and polished Hornady will hang right with a Redding all day long.  .05gr or less deviation on 10 and 20 throw tests is good enough with ball and short cut extruded powders.  I will safely say that the Lee when setup correctly can do that as well.

Polished with red rouge and waxed.  I will say the casting is probably not as nice as the Redding though.  But it is dead nuts accurate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They actually cost less than the disk version and work a heck of alot better and if I remember right, you can use most of the stuff from the disk on the drum like risers and such. ....
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like my Autodrum.  Once you get the tension screw set it is very repeatable with little to no leakage.  The autodisk is now gathering dust.  I need to get some extra drums and set them up for my favorite loads...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you never used a Redding, your comments are invalid.

I also have a polished Hornady PM. 
View Quote
I know you do.  In fact you're the guy that talked me into waxing my Hornady drop from some of your posts.

The reality is if they both smoothly throw with .05gr consistency, what's the real difference?  Absolutely nothing other than the price tag.  I'll admit the Redding probably has a nicer micrometer adjustment.  But I don't change mine very often as I don't build loads with a powder drop and I keep multiple inserts marked with certain loads that I load all the time.  I do own the Hornady micrometer adjustable inserts and while they work, they are simply just OK.

At this point, I'm going to politely disagree and step away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They actually cost less than the disk version and work a heck of alot better and if I remember right, you can use most of the stuff from the disk on the drum like risers and such. ....
+1
+2

I am really happy with my Autodrum.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]
what I do not quite get is.. do I need to buy Lee Double Disk Kit to experiment with 2 disks?

Because, I already have several disks included with that Lee PM... so can't I stack them? I am actually looking at it now...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I understand that you can stack them.  No experience, been watching Youtube videos and reading and that is what it appears that you need to do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]
actually...from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OelxaGuAo&t=1s

it seems that I need some sort of a "wings" which go with it... so I think I'll have to buy that kit anyway... well it's ok... Also I figured I need a rifle charging die.. lol for some reason I thought when I bought Lee dies it was included there, but it isnt, it only has full length die, collet neck die, bullet seating die and crimp die...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
actually...from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OelxaGuAo&t=1s

it seems that I need some sort of a "wings" which go with it... so I think I'll have to buy that kit anyway... well it's ok... Also I figured I need a rifle charging die.. lol for some reason I thought when I bought Lee dies it was included there, but it isnt, it only has full length die, collet neck die, bullet seating die and crimp die...
View Quote
You could either buy the double disc kit, or spend a little more $ and get the Auto Drum.
My vote would be the auto drum.
Save the disc measure for pistol reloading.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#24]
So I just need to purchase Lee Auto Drum PM now? And I am all set to reload .223 with CFE-223?
Can you tell me what else would I need for Lee Auto Drum maybe? any other accessory needed?

Will that Auto drum PM fit in my 4 hole turret classic Lee press and make all procedures as a sequential operation?

Because if not... I would I guess add $140 and buy that Redding thingy maybe which dryflash3 suggested?

And then ill save my Auto Disk PM for pistol stuff on same press?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So I just need to purchase Lee Auto Drum PM now? And I am all set to reload .223 with CFE-223?
Can you tell me what else would I need for Lee Auto Drum maybe? any other accessory needed?

Will that Auto drum PM fit in my 4 hole turret classic Lee press and make all procedures as a sequential operation?

Because if not... I would I guess add $140 and buy that Redding thingy maybe which dryflash3 suggested?

View Quote
yep. just buy the autodrum and swap it with the auto disk.  you might need to readjust the drop tube though.  i use one drum now for 9/40/223 just by swapping it between turrets on my LM.  once you go auto drum i doubt you will go back to auto disk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]
OP......

Dude,if you want/need a double disc kit send me your address and I'll ship you one.No charge.

I no longer reload and have several auto disc units that I used on various presses.
IM or email me...
Dana
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
For loading .223 I use a "rifle charging die" by Lee in one of the stations.  Autodrum screws into that.  I resize cases seperately on a single stage then do all the case prep (trimming, primer pocket reaming/uniforming.  Tumble off the lube then run it through the turret to load.  I have an empty hole where you would put your resizing die if you didn't do it on a separate press.  So my stations are 1: emty hole to prime, 2:powder drop, 3:bullet seating, 4:factory crimp die very lightly (some loads I don't crimp).  95% of reloading for bottlenecked cases is in the prep.  Once that's out of the way it goes as fast as pistol rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, you'll want a Rifle Charging Die if you don't already have one.
Whether you use the auto drum OR auto disc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP......

Dude,if you want/need a double disc kit send me your address and I'll ship you one.No charge.

I no longer reload and have several auto disc units that I used on various presses.
IM or email me...
Dana
View Quote
Thanks brother, but its ok, Im about to put a list of things on order in midway, so I'll just include that too, thank you very much for offer though!

Alright guys, I guess Ill just do almost as Bronsonburner has it in his setup:

Press #1: Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press  This is used with unversal decapping die, to decap first before wet tumble

Press #2: Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press  Same press as in #1, but for use with Lee Full Length sizing die for .223

Press #3: Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press This will be used in configuration which Bronsonburner  has:

Does everything sound good?

I have now 2 questions:
1) Will press used in #1 for decapping also work for a Lee die for full length sizing?
2) Can I still somehow fit sizing die in Turret press and have it not to interfere with priming?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#32]
OP all of those things can be done with one press.  Take out the bar for rotating the turret and it will function as a single stage.  The turrets and bar pop right in and out.

You will probably need the charging dies, long and short, for the auto disk measure, I believe.  The die sets do not come with them.  I will probably get etxra for each turret so I can leave them in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
one more question then, let's say I loaded my Turret with charging die, bullet seating die, and crimp die, and press also has lee safety primer system attached, and now I need to remove that turret, when I remove that turret, the Lee Auto Drum is still on? so Lee auto drum and Lee safety priming systems are still on the press attached with corner bolts each , correct?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes.  You can just take it off unless you buy one for each turret.  If you don't want the turret to rotate you can move it by hand when you are ready for the next stage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
one more question then, let's say I loaded my Turret with charging die, bullet seating die, and crimp die, and press also has lee safety primer system attached, and now I need to remove that turret, when I remove that turret, the Lee Auto Drum is still on? so Lee auto drum and Lee safety priming systems are still on the press attached with corner bolts each , correct?
View Quote
When changing turrets I rotate my Auto Disk powder holder  to the "off" position (no more powder flow), then cycle a cartridge a couple of times to clear ou any remaining powder.  Then I simply remove the powder holder from the press.

General comment on your proposed setup - you're buying a lot of gear to load plinking ammo.  I use an Auto Disk to load plinking quality pistol rounds.  I don't think the disk system offers enough adjustability to load accurate rifle ammo unles you luck out and one of the powder charges obtainable happens to lie in an accuracy node.

You can do what you need with just a Lee Turret plus a better quality stand alone powder measure.  

1. Turret position  #1 to full length resize and cap.
2. Wet tumble brass.
3. Trim
4. Prime, either with hand primer or on press (open slot available on turret)
5. Charge off the press
6.  Turret #2 to seat bullet
7. Turret #3 factory crimp

This process would remove the auto index rod and run the press as a basic turret press indexing by hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top