Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2017 8:41:16 PM EDT
Just starting reload, just finished my bench, getting supplies now.  I just shoot ARs and will be reloading for 6.5 Grendel and 5.56.  Should I go with the CCI No. 41 or are the CCI 400 ok?  Something else.  Primary focus is on precision.  Going to start with CFE 223 and go from there.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
CCI 400's are the only small rifle primers I use and have zero issue with them.

I regularly shoot my 223/5.56s out to 600 yards and my Grendel out to 800 yards and both are sub-MOA if I do my part.

XBR 8208 is my go to powder for the Grendel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
While the 400's will work, I've found they flatten out at lower charge weights than the 450's or 41's. I've been using the 450's for many years now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, was wondering on the primers as I have heard they are harder and thus better for ARs with the floating firing pins.  Didn't know if that was true or not?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the 41s.  Some say/imply they are more on the match/magnum side but I really have no idea.

Yes, the cups are supposed to be a little harder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always used 450's. Used with varget, 748, and cfe. Currently using TAC with 5.56 and Grendel with no issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends how hot you plan to load things.  400's will flatten out, and peirce at a point sooner then 41's or 450's will.

If you don't already have a bunch, and are buying new, I'd get the 450's- they don't carry the price premium, but have a thicker cup than the 400.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I always refer to this post about which to use in an AR:        primers
They recommend CCI 450, BR4, RP 2 1/2, CCI 41's for AR's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the 400's will work, I've found they flatten out at lower charge weights than the 450's or 41's. I've been using the 450's for many years now.
View Quote
This. I only use them for my lighter charge weight loads.

If you're looking for precision, you want the BR's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know what primers Hornady uses?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on my personal use and reports from others I rank the following primers in groups:

Original Winchester nickel plated small rifle primers
Remington 7.5's
CC-BR4's
CCI-450
CCI-#41's
Russian kvb-5,56m (5.56mm magnum)
Russian kvb-223m (.223 magnum)

All of the above are excellent primers and my first picks when available. The CCI-450's are the go to primer for 6.5x47mm Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor small rifle primed brass.

New (past ten+ years) Winchester copper colored small rifle primers
CCI-400

These two work, but are known to behave badly with 5.56mm level loads. Not everyone has problems, of the two the CCI-400's are a better choice.

Never use Remington 6.5's or Russian kvb-223 (standard small rifle primers)

I only use Federal Gold Medal Match (210M) in large rifle variety. I have zero personal experience loading the small rifle primers. I will not use their large primers in semi-auto rifles because they have been linked to slam fires.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, picked up a couple thousand CCI #41.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of CCI 400 I got in anticipation, not knowing the potential issues, not to mention large rifle primers and now have sold all my 308 weapons.  Any market for unused primers?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually any and all good reloading components are always easy to sell. The problem with primers is shipping them.

Selling an or offering to sell anything on this "reloading" forum is strictly prohibited.

I'd suggest either sale them locally or post them on the "EE"

BTW: I did take time and read all of the replies. There's surly nothing wrong with the #41s but for far many more people than not there's really nothing wrong with the 400s either.

It's very often surprising how 2 or more people can read the exact same advice and come up with totally different conclusions.  

I would definitely use the 400s. Maybe not in your higher pressure loads but for the .223/5.56 with plinking loads if nothing else.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, picked up a couple thousand CCI #41.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of CCI 400 I got in anticipation, not knowing the potential issues, not to mention large rifle primers and now have sold all my 308 weapons.  Any market for unused primers?
View Quote
There are no issues with using the 400's. The 400 is only SR primer I use and I never have had one issue.

I use them in everything from my 75 grain precision loads to the load I developed for the M855A1 bullet. My 75gr load is 2850FPS and the M855A1 load is over 3000FPS. I'm quoting speeds due to the fact people claim the 400's flatten easy. That is not true in my experience. I have reload and fired thousands of rounds using the 400 primer have not had one slam fire.

You can do as you like but if you already own the primers then use them, if you have a properly functioning rifle you will not have any problems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
As has been stated, and may have been missed.    "The key is seating primers .002 to .003 below flush"  ... and I will add, regardless of the primer.   In other words, including the 450's and "insert primer name here".

I am a happy, CCI 400 using, precision shooter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends how hot you plan to load things.  400's will flatten out, and peirce at a point sooner then 41's or 450's will.

If you don't already have a bunch, and are buying new, I'd get the 450's- they don't carry the price premium, but have a thicker cup than the 400.
View Quote
Same as my experience. 400s showed pressure signs sometimes well below book loads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same as my experience. 400s showed pressure signs sometimes well below book loads.
View Quote
It's very common for light loads to show false pressure signs such as flattened primers.

It's because the casing is being held forward first by the firing pin then by the expanded casing holding onto the chamber wall.

This allows the primer to back out of the primer pocket and expand. Then often the pressure gets high enough to break the hold and the casing slams back against the bolt face with the backed out and expanded primer trapped in between.

So what you end up with is a primer that "looks" over flattened when in fact it was caused by a under pressure load.

I did a side by side load work up using CCI-400s and CCI-450s using identical loads and bullets and all LC-11 brass.

I saw no significant difference between the primers during the testing and after the testing was done and the casings mixed together there was absolutely no way of telling which were which.

I believe most of the difference people claim to see is specific firearm related and not component related.

I used 1500 Remington 6 1/2s in my VTR-15 without a single issue (before I found the warning) which I was alerted to by someone on this forum after posting about a different rifle having piercing them.  

Same load different rifle different results.  

Motor
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are no issues with using the 400's. The 400 is only SR primer I use and I never have had one issue.

I use them in everything from my 75 grain precision loads to the load I developed for the M855A1 bullet. My 75gr load is 2850FPS and the M855A1 load is over 3000FPS. I'm quoting speeds due to the fact people claim the 400's flatten easy. That is not true in my experience. I have reload and fired thousands of rounds using the 400 primer have not had one slam fire.

You can do as you like but if you already own the primers then use them, if you have a properly functioning rifle you will not have any problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only add to this by saying , make sure they are seated correctly and you will have no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top