Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 1:08:05 PM EDT
I have a LOT of .308 to load.
Has anyone put hydraulics on a rock chucker press? Details?

Thanks!

cap
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quick look at Corbin presses. From what I saw, they are $9,000+

I don't think so. That buys a lot of factory rounds!

cap
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not invest in a Lee Classic Turret, Hornady LNL AP, or Dillon 1050?

Both will increase your output by an order of magnitude compared to a Rockchucker.  

After getting pissed at the time investment of processing .223 brass, I finally invested in a progressive press with a case feeder and bullet feeder.  I plan on getting a Dillon trimmer to replace my Giraud.  At that point, the biggest time killer for me will be crimped primer pockets.  Not sure if I plan to swage on press, cut the crimp out, or simply stop buying mil brass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course, you'll need a controller to operate the hydraulics on the press.  Then, there's software development.  Safety issues come to mind, too.

Just buy commercial brass and a fully equipped Dillon S1050, instead.  Sell your military brass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I already own a Dillon 550 press. The Dillon people tell me that the amount of effort would be the same on the 1050 as it is on the 550, which is similar to the rock chucker.

It's the amount of effort needed to bring the ram up on the rockchucker. Same problem with the Dillon. It's not the speed of the process that is my problem.

cap
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If you try to automate anything, be sure you guard or 2-hand tie-down it properly.
Otherwise one late night slip-up might turn into something more serious.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
OUCH!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a picture, I really didn't need to see!  God come on guys!

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
After nearly decapping my finger a couple times, including once sinking a decapping pin right to the bone, NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I DO AN AUTOMATIC PNEUMATIC/HYDRAULIC/ELECTRIC COMPOUND LEVERAGE ANYTHING...

Mere thought of it makes my sphincter pucker.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you try to automate anything, be sure you guard or 2-hand tie-down it properly.
Otherwise one late night slip-up might turn into something more serious.

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/e/e5/e516b9b8_1489294_653082874733512_1182670203_n.jpeg
View Quote
<removed> dryflash3

Cannot be unseen.

Posted before I saw that....

But yeah...   that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a home made case ejector and can get a good rhythm going with both hands feeding cases and pulling the lever.  There have been a couple of times that I put the decap pin into my finger because I was a split second off.  I don't want to think of doing this with something that has more power.

At what point do you realize you pushed the case all the way through your finger?  I'd like to think it wouldn't go further than the neck because of all the pain your brain is screaming about, just wondering.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Would love to automate for bullet sizing. Kind of odd no one has marketed one yet but I am guessing lawyers and liability is stalling progress again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would love to automate for bullet sizing. Kind of odd no one has marketed one yet but I am guessing lawyers and liability is stalling progress again.
View Quote
I think the same people who make the Ballistcast automated casting machine also make an automated bullet sizer with a collator (aka a casefeeder/bullet feeder type mechanism)

EDIT:

I think Spolar is stilk in business with their Spolar Gold progressive shotgun shell reloader.  IIRC, it is pneumatic and it has at least one  foot pedal.  I think you have to feed the shell into the machine by hand....say with your left hand....and you feed the machine wads with your right hand.

EDIT#2:  loaded shells drop through the table top into the drawer
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Ammobot if you've got some $ laying around...

https://www.ammobot.us/

AmmoBot® Running 40 S&W at Full Speed
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#18]
OP you know there are company's that will prep your brass for you.  

"Don’t have time or equipment needed to process your own .223/5.56 brass. Look no further we will do it for you. We will full length resize, deprime, trim to spec, swage the primer pockets, then tumble them in stainless steel media."  $60 / 1000 pcs.

I'm not sure this is an offer or just a quote, but selling a service is not allowed outside of the EE, Equipment Exchange. dryflash3
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always wanted to try hydraulic or pneumatic retro fitted to a Hollywood turret I got sitting around doing nothing with.  Problem is, I don't think I could stand to listen to an air compressor or hydraulic power unit blazing away while I'm trying to concentrate on not breaking something.

In the video above, his get-up is no faster than pulling the handle.  If he had an auto ejector pushing the cases into a funnel it made be worth the trouble.

Still too noisy for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top