Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 6:17:16 PM EDT
I was looking to possibly get into wet tumbling.  What made you chose the tumbler you've been using?  Is there really one any better than the other? I mean they all just spin and tumble some water and brass and pins.  I did see RCBS is coming out with one that has a handle on the container, which is nice I think.  

The FA tumbler is around 180 it seems, and the Lyman is around 145ish.  Didn't know if there's something that makes the FA worth the extra or not.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This works great. Never had an issue. Pretty quiet and is powder coated in and out.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/reloading-products/package-kits/stm-complete-package-2.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
https://jet.com/product/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Series-Rotary-Tumbler-Kit/2c68e86ec82741a2ab74c37fe39c9e8b?jcmp=afl:link:VCSYInvXQp8:414385:1:10&siteID=VCSYInvXQp8-9R5vs4lno3l1IqbG3XItHA

$160.00 with 15% off your first three orders.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the FA, had it a little over a year. It's worked great, added the magnet for pin retrieval and recently got the FA media separator which works really well and speeds up the pin recovery.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Arfcom got me started on wet tumbling with the Harbor Freight tumbler. Use their %20 off coupon to save even more. The drums are smaller and but I can still tumble around 150 .223 or so.

Arfcom Wet Tumbing on the cheap

Harbor Freight Tumbler

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Find a Lyman and then used their mail in 25$ rebate program good this summer!

My Thumlers Model B has been going since the late 80's of course been through belts and a couple sets of rollers.........but she goes and goes!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two of the harbor freight ones. That way I can run some pistol and some rifle at the same time and not have to sorry about them getting stuck together. Or I can run a bunch of pistol stuff and not have to worry about that either.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Harbor Freight if you want to get in cheap.  Best mod Ive seen is putting a 4" PVC pipe on it to make it more useful.

FART tumbler.  A few more accessories than a Lyman if memory serves.

The STM or Thumbler if want something really nice that will last.

Roll your own.  I run dual 1.4 gallon drums on mine, and that means I can get alot of work done fast.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the FA . Added another 5 lbs of pins. Can do 8 lbs of 5.56 brass in 1:15 . While the pockets aren't spot less there more then clean enough.  Mine has done over 60 k now and still running. Knocks on wood.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I started with the Harbor Freight twin and upgraded to the Thumlers high speed.  Never looked back.  I still use the HF for small batches.  Do it.  I suspect anything that tumbles stuff will work better than not doing it at all.

At night, when I have insomnia, I mentally design a 10 or 15 gallon drum tumbler that uses a 5 hp three phase motor.  Puts me right to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the FART. I am not a high volume reloader so it offers plenty of capacity for me.

I am so happy I switched over from vibratory tumbling.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now I only wet tumble small batches of rifle brass and use the Harbor Freight duel with a 4" PVC pipe instead of the two drums it originally came with. For small batches this works great and is cheap but I hope to get a Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17 in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I cannot recommend the Rebel Extreme.

Good design, well built except for drive shaft mod only introduced after units were failing.

Truly lousy customer service which is unique in the industry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Background.  For the most part, I dedicate my rifle brass to one rifle for the life of the brass, and baby sit it.   My lot sizes are multiples of 500 (500 piece lots to 2000 piece lots).   I don't reload a lot until the entire  lot is empty.

Pistol:  For the most part, I reload it in the winter ... so by the end of the year I am staring at buckets of brass.

So.... I wanted something that could handle size.

Mine is a home made one, thanks to Biggdawg -  link to biggdawg DIY project

When I do have small batches .... I run them in the big tumbler = water is cheap.

Biggdawg tumbers
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the HF single for small batches and FA for large. I just decap and run. Pistol I don't even bother with pins they come out clean. I use dawn and lemishine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
F.A.R.T is what you seek. Works awesome.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Put the FART in your Amazon watch list.

Or go to camelcamelcamel.com and set a price alert.

I bought mine before Christmas for $148. They got down to $117 a couple weeks ago then shot back up.

Just have to keep an eye on it and pounce when the price goes down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top