Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
Alright, I'm brand new to reloading, but my brother-in-law and I have been offered a like new kit (used for about 200 rounds so far) that I think is a steal.  I really need some feedback on:
1. Does this kit have everything we need to get started?
2. Is it worth what it's being offered for?

Kit Includes (used for about 200 rounds):
- Dillon 550B Progressive Reloader
- Electronic Scale
- Case Tumbler
- Case/Media Separator
- Case Trimmer Kit
- Digital Caliper
- .30 cal Die Set
- .45 cal Die Set
- .223 cal Die Set
- Caliber Conversion Kit
- Three Tool Heads
- Bullet Puller
- Case Gauge
- About $500 in powder and primers thrown in with everything

The guy is offering all of this to my brother-in-law for $500 total.

Should my brother-in-law jump on this?

Thank you for any input on this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
electronic scale is probably crap. If you don't know much about reloading, you will learn from some of the best here. It's a good starter press but you may need other equipment as you go. Will need something to trim brass, etc.

I would buy if I was new.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Jump on it! Well over $1000 without the powder/primers in there probably
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
electronic scale is probably crap. If you don't know much about reloading, you will learn from some of the best here. It's a good starter press but you may need other equipment as you go. Will need something to trim brass, etc.

I would buy if I was new.
View Quote
Thank you!  There is a Case Trimmer kit included in the list, so it's got that.

My brother-in-law and I are both new to this.  We'd split it, so I'm looking at $250 for access to all of this to start reloading.  Is it worth it for reloading plinking rounds, or are ammo prices such that reloading doesn't save you much anymore?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jump on it! Well over $1000 without the powder/primers in there probably
View Quote
That's what I thought!  The offer of the extra $500 in powder and primers was a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it's a great deal. You'll need dies, conversion kit, possibly a different powder measure and components for whatever you plan to load and several reference sources for your data. Build a bench, read up on loading and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy it, if you don't, then tell me where it is and I will!

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes it's a great deal. You'll need dies, conversion kit, possibly a different powder measure and components for whatever you plan to load and several reference sources for your data. Build a bench, read up on loading and enjoy.
View Quote
Three sets of dies, a conversion kit, case trimmer is all included, it one of the better buys I have seen for a while for a complete reloading kit.

You can always add to things, but for starting out, that way more than many of us started out with!

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Three sets of dies, a conversion kit, case trimmer is all included, it one of the better buys I have seen for a while for a complete reloading kit.

You can always add to things, but for starting out, that way more than many of us started out with!

View Quote
Awesome, that's what I was thinking!  My brother-in-law is the king of falling in to things like this.  He's about the nicest and most helpful guy you'll ever meet, so he usually deserves it.

Asked if I wanted to go in half and half with him, and he's been helping this guy out so I think the guy feels good giving him a good deal.

I'm going to give him the thumbs up...Now it's time to start doing some reading up on reloading!

Any great all-in-one basics site/book you recommend reading?

Thank you for the quick responses, everyone!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Like everything, there are many options for trimming cases. If you plan to shoot a ton, "the trim kit" probably won't be a great option. However, it will get you started. $250 each is fantastic. Welcome to the reloading forum! Dont be afraid to ask questions here. No question is stupid except the ones you dont ask.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like everything, there are many options for trimming cases. If you plan to shoot a ton, "the trim kit" probably won't be a great option. However, it will get you started. $250 each is fantastic. Welcome to the reloading forum! Dont be afraid to ask questions here. No question is stupid except the ones you dont ask.

Good luck!
View Quote
Thank you, sir!

Just curious...if one of us decided to just grab it up on our own, do you feel the same way about $500 for everything?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If in fact there is $500 worth of powder and primers (16 pounds and 5000 primers) how could you possibly lose?

Dillon will rebuild the 550 if anything is wrong with it for next to nothing.

He will need a real trimmer, meaning something that uses power and cuts all three angles in one pass. He may need a balance beam scale instead of the electronic, depending on it's quality. Cheap electronic scales are not trustworthy IMO. I prefer standard calipers to electronics unless it's made by Mitutoyo or Starrett.

This will be a great reloading outfit and will last him the rest of his life with minimal maintenance.

I would wager that the original owner didn't set it up properly to begin with or he wouldn't be selling it now. All die stings are suspect and need to be double checked. 200 rounds loaded isn't even one hours use.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm really pumped about this!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I would not touch any open powder just like I wouldn't shoot anyone else's reloads.    Further, you don't list brand names and individual condition of each component.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]
curious what exactly is the case trim kit that came as part of this deal, thx
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]
It is a great deal OP. Jump on it.

Read, Read, Read...

Youtube and this subforum taught me so much. My Lyman book taught me a ton as well.

Do not trust anything the seller has set up. Do not trust the adjustment of the dies set on the tool heads. Do not trust trimmer setting on the trimmer. Do not trust the powder if it has been opened and used. Do not trust that scale unless you have check weights to verify accuracy, if it wanders, it is toast.

Read, Read, Read...

Double check your numbers and enjoy the thousands of rounds that press will get you for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#17]
If you or your family have any interest in reloading then this is a screaming deal.

So, yes Yes YES rip the wallet out of your pants and buy this!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
1) Shut up, buy it and enjoy easy cheap ammo for the rest of your life.
2) Read the RCBS reloading manual.
3) This forum. There's some serious talent here.
4) YouTube. There's some serious talent on there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Buy it all- don't hesitate.

2. Get the book "The ABC's of Reloading". Read it cover to cover.

3. Watch Brian Enos' videos on YouTube.

4. Get Load Books for each caliber, They are caliber-specific and contain data from across the manufacturing spectrum.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

4. Get Load Books for each caliber, They are caliber-specific and contain data from across the manufacturing spectrum.
View Quote
Thank you everyone!  He picked it up today!

Question about the load book...I didn't see a 5.56...does the .223 book speak to 5.56 loads?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Question about the load book...I didn't see a 5.56...does the .223 book speak to 5.56 loads?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the data in the .223 Load Book references 5.56.

For all practical purposes, use .223 data. You don't really gain much with 5.56 loads.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Jump on that now.

The 550b has been retired due to an upgrade to the pivot pins that allows the user to grease without disassembly.  The basic model sells for $459.00.  

You have over $1000 in accessories and other reloading tools.

I've loaded on a 550b since 1994 and have produced hundreds of thousands of rounds with no issues.  Dillon Precision did a complete overhaul at no charge in 2005.  As far as you I'm concerned the 550 is the Cadillac of loaders due to its versatility and ease of caliber change.

Buy it and don't look back.  If not, IM me the guys info and I'll give him $750 for all of it.  I would still be getting a deal and I want a second machine.  That's how good of a deal this is.

ETA:  overlooked that you bought it.  Congrats and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Got the stuff yesterday!  My brother-in-law and a cousin who wants to get in to reloading all ended up splitting it, so $166 for each of us.

Came with hundreds of .223 & .45 brass, as well as around 100 Nosler hollow point .45 bullets and over 1000 new PRVI .224 SP bullets.

Now it's time to get learn-ed on reloading.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got the stuff yesterday!  My brother-in-law and a cousin who wants to get in to reloading all ended up splitting it, so $166 for each of us.

Came with hundreds of .223 & .45 brass, as well as around 100 Nosler hollow point .45 bullets and over 1000 new PRVI .224 SP bullets.

Now it's time to get learn-ed on reloading.

Thanks everyone!
View Quote
Ask lots of questions. We don't mind.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top