Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 7:15:51 PM EDT
Today I had a chance to hit the range to fire my first reloads.

.38 spl, Win cases, Win primers, 158 gr SWC from Xtreme, 1.460" COL over 3.5 gr Win 231 and a second set over 3.7 gr Win 231.

I based my load on jacketed data due to the Xtreme statement their plated bullets could be run up to mid level jacketed loads.  I don't plan to push these bullets fast, I simply want to find a reasonably accurate, reasonably cheap training/plinking load.

My goal was simply to load and then fire some low powered straight wall revolver cartridges.  It was a complete success.  All cartridges went bang and accuracy was on par with some factory 158 gr loads.

I wanted to say thanks to this forum.  I've spent a lot of time reading posts in here as well as reading some of the recommended manuals.  I really enjoyed spending time on the press, and now I need to set up a trimmer do I can try my hand at rifle reloads.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe everyone likes to encourage and support new hand loaders. My standard 158 grain lead SWC load for .38 Special is 3.85 grains (I throw ten charges and weigh them in total to arrive at this figure) and it achieves 850 fps from my 4" S&W revolvers.

Very accurate, easy shooting and safe load.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats and welcome to your new obsession

This is an awesome place comprised of mature and knowledgeable people.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats and welcome to your new obsession

This is an awesome place comprised of mature and knowledgeable people.
View Quote
With enough morons like myself thrown in to keep it fun..... 

Just remember to be boringly precise when you reload.... if in doubt, tear it down and double check....  never get in a hurry and never push limits and you will be A-ok  Congrats on your first batch! 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats OP. As mentioned, stay smart and safe and you'll have many enjoyable years ahead of you making great ammo

Have fun loading for rifle
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
So, tell me, what was going through your mind as the hammer started back on that first reloaded round?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, tell me, what was going through your mind as the hammer started back on that first reloaded round?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I discovered that I enjoy reloading as much as shooting. I am super careful and weigh every, single charge I put in a case. I developed a method that will eliminate the possibility of a double charge. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slight trepidation which quickly turned into amazement when it fired and a hole appeared in the target close to my POA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With enough morons like myself thrown in to keep it fun..... 

Just remember to be boringly precise when you reload.... if in doubt, tear it down and double check....  never get in a hurry and never push limits and you will be A-ok  Congrats on your first batch! 
View Quote
Absolutely.  This was actually me second test batch.  After I finished my first test batch I realized my balance beam scale wasn't properly zeroed so o had a chance to try out my impact puller then start over.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pic after the first five.  From now on I will load revolver ladders in multiples of six.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Slight trepidation which quickly turned into amazement when it fired and a hole appeared in the target close to my POA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got that feeling for the first few rounds of each new cartridge type I began loading.  

I've got all components to start loading 38/357 and 45 Colt, but haven't had time to make any yet.  It's gonna be fun!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I discovered that I enjoy reloading as much as shooting. I am super careful and weigh every, single charge I put in a case. I developed a method that will eliminate the possibility of a double charge. Enjoy.
View Quote
Once I started working with powder I was surprised at how little volume 3.5 grains of Win 231 occupies inside a .38 Special.  I could immediately understood how poor practices and lack of quality control could easily creare a dangerous situation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on your 1st successful batch of reloads ! Welcome to the club !

After 45 Colt, 38 Spcl is one of my favorite rounds to load and shoot. So easy even my caveman brother can do it.

4 friends, my brother, sister, G/F and I all shoot 3.4gr of HP-38/W231 under 158gr LSWC's, laser accurate out of any gun. With plated bullets you're right in that ballpark.

Your observation about how little room that charge takes up is right on the money. I advise all new loaders to ''Look in every case for powder and the correct amount before seating a bullet''. Including this step into your process will stop you from making double charges and squibs (no powder).

You're on to a great start, nice work.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Hand loading is definitely going to keep you busy in the evenings. Who needs TV anyway?
As others have said, reloading is half of the fun of shooting... lots to learn and lots to enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to the club and congrats!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it wrong that now I want to buy guns in specific calibers just so I can reload that cartridge?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is it wrong that now I want to buy guns in specific calibers just so I can reload that cartridge?
View Quote
 lol .. no it's not wrong, and is part of the "normal" path to addiction ... which at some point also leads to a conditional change FROM reloading to have ammo to shoot TO shooting to create brass to reload.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:18:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just bought a S&W 69 in order to play around reloading.44mag.  What a versatile round!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats OP. I loaded rifle for a few years before I got into pistol, and I was quite amazed at how little powder was in the case as well. Not to mention how little variance there is from min to max on some loads. That really makes you want to take your time and do everything right. I started out with .38 Special as well. It's an awesome little round. 

ETA: On the topic of buying guns just to reload that caliber, yeah. I've done it. Some times playing around with load development is fun. Other times it's frustrating. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top