Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 10:37:24 AM EDT
I have been doing a lot of load development and could really use a powder dispensing scale.  When you are only loading 5 or 10rd of each charge as you work up loads setting the powder bar or using a powder trickler is getting old.  So what is the latest and greatest powder dispensing scale going.  What features should I be looking for?  Are there any good online compassion articles I can read?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
RCBS Chargemaster

There are others, but they are all compared against the CM for a reason.  

Unless of course you have crazy money for something like a Prometheus.  

I check mine vs my 505 on a regular basis, and its right on, all the time.

Edit:  I use mine for load workups as well, even for pistol with fine ball powder.  It will save you alot of time.  I use this on my progressive so I can use it for load workups and cut alot of steps
Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Powder Funnel Die
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been doing a lot of load development and could really use a powder dispensing scale.  When you are only loading 5 or 10rd of each charge as you work up loads setting the powder bar or using a powder trickler is getting old.  So what is the latest and greatest powder dispensing scale going.  What features should I be looking for?  Are there any good online compassion articles I can read?  Thanks!
View Quote
I agree, load development (especially with extruded powders) is a pain to manually trickle.

I just purchased a Chargemaster 1500 after years of putting it off.  Everything I read points to this as the one to buy.  

I have very little experience with it so far, but it seems to work really well.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
RCBS Chargemaster.  I don't use mine very often, but I'd go buy another one immediately if mine broke today.  It's such a great tool for working up new loads and getting precise charges.

Do the mods listed here and you'll have great results:  
Reloading Tips - Reprogram your RCBS Chargemaster 1500, Straw Modification
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You asked for the latest and greatest . . . well, the latest (<1 year old) isn't the greatest (ie Promethius), but it's dam close and costs some $2200 less lol.

The scale is an A&D FX120i and the automated trickler you connect to the scale is called the Autotrickler (just google that). The combined price is about $800. You might scan through the following thread for the impression it has made on a pretty tough community including the sources to buy from and comparison to all the other brand name throwers: Turn your FX120i into a Promethius.

The scale is a mag force restoration scale which means it is unaffected by RF transmission and other noise that causes strain gauge scales (ie all scales under ~$500) to flutter and lose zero. Also unlike many scales programmed to hold tight to zero to avoid flutter (eg Gempro 250), it is sensitive to the drop of a single particle of powder.

The trickler receives the current weight on the scale hundreds of times a second and adjusts the speed of the throw to produce accuracy +/- one kernel of whatever powder you are throwing. If you want tighter than +/- one kernel, you simply scoop out a small quantity of powder and the dispenser runs to target again . . . rinse/repeat and you can easily get to within +/-/0.02gr (edited, left out an important zero) with most throws of most powders (depends on how heavy each particle is and how much they vary from each other) dead on target.

The A&D FX120i became my 7th and last scale.

Among the rest, the RCBS is consistently rated the best of that lot. After weighing ~1,000 Chargemaster throws on my FX120i I found mine to be no more consistent than a powder measure using "easy to throw" powders (eg H335) and short sticks (eg IMR4064) being ~85% within +/-0.06gr of target (edited, left out an important zero), but better than my Hornady PM on long sticks (eg IMR4350). The Chargemaster is, however, much quicker to adjust the target charge lol. The accuracy issue is primarily related to the limitations of the scale which includes undetected overthrows.

(Deleted erroneous, gratuitous comparison). As you shoot 300yds or more SD becomes a major factor and it's comforting to know that all your charges are +/- one kernel . . . or better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I use and RCBS Chargemaster to their charges 1 grain short if my desired load, I then trickle up on a Gempro 250. The Chargemaster weighs within 1 grain of the target load in my experience. Without using the Gempro I was getting ES of 23 in my 260 which isnt bad, I just want to be able your weigh to .02 grains which the Gempro does.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.autotrickler.com/

This will be my next powder measure purchase. The accuracy of a Prometheus at a fraction of the cost. However, if that's out of the budget the Chargemaster is about as good as it gets right now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
1,000 Chargemaster throws on my FX120i I found mine to be no more consistent than a powder measure using "easy to throw" powders (eg H335) and short sticks (eg IMR4064) being ~85% within +/-0.6gr of target, but better than my Hornady PM on long sticks (eg IMR4350).
View Quote
Is there another zero missing there? I own and use a Chargemaster and I'd find that completely unacceptable.

Drops from the Chargemaster are checked regularly using an RCBS 10-10 beam scale and both scales are checked using calibrated check weights on the rare occasion they disagree.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there another zero missing there? I own and use a Chargemaster and I'd find that completely unacceptable.

Drops from the Chargemaster are checked regularly using an RCBS 10-10 beam scale and both scales are checked using calibrated check weights on the rare occasion they disagree.
View Quote
YES - I'm an idoiot! Corrected one, will go back and correct any others.

The 85% +/- is 0.06gr.

ETA: Thanks Redbirdxx :)
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont agree on the single kernel theory...

Secrets of the Houston Warehouse – Lessons In Extreme Rifle Accuracy

Case prep and bullet seating are far more important than a kernal or two of powder.  Go read the article, its really good, and eye opening.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Lyman Gen 5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top