Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 5:11:53 PM EDT
Last week I ordered a pound of powder then went around town finding all the stuff needed to powdercoat bullets. Got tired of the mess from lubing and seeing all of your nice looking boolits, wanted to have some of my own.

I've been paying attention to what all of you have been saying about what's needed, how to do it, etc.

My powder arrived today and got right into it. They turned out pretty good.

" />

I bought Artic Cat Green from All Powder Paints, a quart sized white #5 round bowl with clear lid that snaps on real tight from the $ store, it's about twice the size of a CoolWhip bowl, couldn't find the black BB's but decided to try a small batch without them.
I put a teaspoon of powder in the bowl along with 42 of my freshly cast Lee 312-155gr 2R boolits for 7.62x39 and swirled 'em around a little then shook the crap out of them up and down till my arms hurt. Looked at them through the lid and they were covered really heavy. Scooped them out with a spoon into a CoolWhip bowl, put the lid on and shook them some more.

They had a nice even coat on them now so I placed them in neat little rows on the NS foil and put them in the toaster oven for 10 minutes @ 400 degrees, pre-heated. When the timer went off I took them out to cool. After they were cool I smashed one with a hammer and the coating stayed put, stuck on like glue, GTG !

There's a few that have small marks on them from the needle-nosed pliers but they'll be OK. Not too bad for a 1st try. I can't wait to see what they look like loaded.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking to forward to trying this once I get me reloading crap set up. I want to make all mine KTM orange!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome looking bullets. I see you gave it the hammer test too. Very nice !!!!

Motor
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Mark me down for titty pink.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. And thanks to all of those who perfected this before I came along.

1 question...the directions say ''Cure time= 400F/10 min @ PMT''. What does PMT mean ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job!  It's time like this that I wish we had a Like button.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!

<meme removed from technical forum> dryflash3
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! I need one of those molds for 7.62x54r.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job!

I started using some fine-tip tweezers to pick up the boolits in the lube groove. Fewer marks that way.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. And thanks to all of those who perfected this before I came along.

1 question...the directions say ''Cure time= 400F/10 min @ PMT''. What does PMT mean ?
View Quote
Part Metal Temperature.  Means 10 minutes from the time the bullets heat soak enough to reach 400 degrees. 
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, so I can cook them longer than the 10 min I did.

I only cooked them for 10 minutes and they turned out good, but I wouldn't have time to get another batch ready that fast. Knowing I can cook them longer will come in handy.

Thanks

ETA: I'm going to fire up the toaster oven and cook up the rest of these 200 or so boolits, I think I'll put GC's on some of them to test out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice! I need one of those molds for 7.62x54r.
View Quote
That's 1 of the reasons I bought it. And to use in 7.62x39 and 30-06.

I sized them in the Lee Push-Through sizer last night and they came out at .312''. Perfect !
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Great job!

One suggestion I have is to pick up an oven thermometer, they're around $5 at Wal-mart. Toaster ovens temperature knobs are rarely accurate. For example, on mine the oven hits 400* about 1/8" past the 350* mark, I used a silver sharpie to mark where the dial needs to be.

Are you going to gascheck those bullets?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
EDIT: Question removed (I hadn't seen the text below the picture).
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great job!

One suggestion I have is to pick up an oven thermometer, they're around $5 at Wal-mart. Toaster ovens temperature knobs are rarely accurate. For example, on mine the oven hits 400* about 1/8" past the 350* mark, I used a silver sharpie to mark where the dial needs to be.

Are you going to gascheck those bullets?
View Quote
Way ahead of ya, brother. I got that el-cheapo thermometer at Walmart when I got the $20 toaster oven. Mine hits 400F just before the 450F mark. And I marked it with a silver marker too.

I'm going to shoot some with and without GC's. I plan on using these for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R and 30-06. I'll try some both ways in each caliber and find out what works best, then apply that knowledge to powdercoated 50 BMG bullets.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Those green bullets will be perfect for zombies.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those green bullets will be perfect for zombies.
View Quote
That's a good one !
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010909_zpsghyy5sv0.jpg

With the 2R bullet, I have found it shoots much better with a gas check than bare. Notice they all are checked in the pic.

Also if you PC first, the gas check won't fit (Hornady gas check) on the bullet unless you flare the gas check before attempting to slit it on. (used a steel ball bearing and a hammer before I learned better)
Your mold could be different than mine (I have 3 two gang molds and recently upgraded to the 6 gang.
They all need the GC installed before PC )

Since flaring is a pita, it's 2 trips through the sizer. First installs gas check, PC bullet, and size to desired diameter. This is my present method.

I size to .310 for 300 blk and .312 for 7.62x39.

I have found the Lee sizing dies are undersized from the marking on the die. Measure a sized bullet diameter with a caliper to determine the true diameter.

I open up my sizing dies with a dowel wrapped with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper turned with a drill to get the
 diameter of the bullet to match what is stamped on the die.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010979_zps41k4h2ml.jpg

Also get a Lyman M die ($20) to expand the neck. If you scrape the PC off, there goes accuracy and you may get some leading.

After seating a light crimp with a Lee FCD will take out the flare of the mouth.
View Quote
Darn, now ya tell me...I just got done putting GC's on 100 of them AFTER they were coated.

Yes, they were a major PITA !! Here's some of them along with a little problem I ran into.

" />

The 2 nose-down on the board have dents in the bottom of the GC's from the pointy bullet below as it goes into the Lee sizer die. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but the dents aren't in the exact center so it'll throw the accuracy off.

I did 10 like that before I noticed it. I solved it by a PITA method of putting the GC on and pushing it into the die, then using a 2'' blunted tip framing nail with a head a little smaller than the bullet diameter into the die and raising the ram so the blunt tip was on the pusher and pushed the bullet up and out of the die. Did the next 90 like that .

I'll put GC's on first from now on then PC as you do. My dia is .312, even though mine says it's a .311 sizer but that works for me.

Are you saying yours says .312 but sizes at .311 ?

Even after all the trouble it was getting GC's on they look pretty good. That was the second and third batch. For the 4th batch I used airsoft BB's my nephew gave me. They are 12g. light green. They worked OK. I didn't notice any difference in the coating before or after.

Thanks for the info Dryflash, I'll use it next time for sure.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't know about that load but I do know about ''The Load'' with Red Dot which I can't find any of locally. I haven't seen any 2400 but will keep looking for either.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]
What has worked for me in regards to picking up the powder coated bullets is to get a latex glove and rub some powder coat on it. Get it good and dusty.

Pick up the powder coated bullets with the powder coated glove and the PC on the bullets will not come off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Darn, now ya tell me...I just got done putting GC's on 100 of them AFTER they were coated.

Yes, they were a major PITA !! Here's some of them along with a little problem I ran into.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/PirateBill666/179A.jpg" target="_blank">https://http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/PirateBill666/179A.jpg

The 2 nose-down on the board have dents in the bottom of the GC's from the pointy bullet below as it goes into the Lee sizer die. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but the dents aren't in the exact center so it'll throw the accuracy off.

I did 10 like that before I noticed it. I solved it by a PITA method of putting the GC on and pushing it into the die, then using a 2'' blunted tip framing nail with a head a little smaller than the bullet diameter into the die and raising the ram so the blunt tip was on the pusher and pushed the bullet up and out of the die. Did the next 90 like that .

I'll put GC's on first from now on then PC as you do. My dia is .312, even though mine says it's a .311 sizer but that works for me.

Are you saying yours says .312 but sizes at .311 ?

Even after all the trouble it was getting GC's on they look pretty good. That was the second and third batch. For the 4th batch I used airsoft BB's my nephew gave me. They are 12g. light green. They worked OK. I didn't notice any difference in the coating before or after.

Thanks for the info Dryflash, I'll use it next time for sure.
View Quote
Those boolits look pretty damn nice...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice first attempt, actually awesome!!!!

I have all the things to do this except the time.

Thank you for sharing,

Danny
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Another trick for the gas checks is to put a little powder coat in the gas check as you snap it into the cast bullet. That way when you powder coat the bullet+GC the PC between the bullet and GC will stick better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top