Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 1:47:58 PM EDT
I can't get through to speer by phone, so here goes...

I've got a quantity of speer deep curl bullets (250 gr.) to load up for 45 colt.

the speer #14 manual shows load data only for the gold dot bullets in this weight.

am I correct in thinking the gold dot and deep curl bullets are the same, just different names?

thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Deep curl are Speers' 'magnum' line. Meant to expand at higher velocities.

You are fine to load them at the Gold Dot loadings, but if you want them for hunting, you'll likely have to push them harder to get expansion.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
even though they don't look the same they must share the same characteristics.

both of them have the same part #  4484.

when I finally got through to a speer tech he warned me NOT to go below the starting load.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The Deep Curl were originally labeled as Gold Dots. I believe Speer made them hardier, specifically 44 and 45, and possibly heavy .357 so they would be more suitable for hunting over self defense. Likely due to lawyers and potential problems, they changed them from Gold Dots to Deep Curl, but just didn't change the product number.

From Speer Website:

"TOUGH BULLETS FOR DEEP PENETRATION. For those who seek challenges, try taking your next trophy with a handgun and make sure to load DeepCurl™, the newest hunting bullet line from Speer® Bullets. Formerly known as Gold Dot® Handgun Hunting, we use the same bonding technology we always have in these outstanding handgun bullets. They give you an excellent product at an affordable price."
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
understood.

these bullets will shot out of a freedom arms model 83 45 colt 6" barrel.

load data was taken for this type of firearm.

will monitor performance with a Labradar chronograph, which I can't recommend highly enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I may be mistaken, but I think Deep Curl bullets were made for rifle cartridges only. They've been out of production for a couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top