Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 7:11:19 PM EDT
Got out of reloading 223 years ago because it was too time consuming and I sold off my 223 components, well here I am again this time with a 550.

What's an affordable trimmer?  I used to have a possum hollow but it appears they are no longer in business.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Lyman bench mounted trimmer for all of my reloading, came with all the case collets I would ever need and it is quick to use, picked it up for about 60 bucks and have been happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
WFT
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WFT
View Quote
+1 for affordable and quick. I would, however, spend a little more on either Giraud tri-way or Trim it (if planning to run multiple calibers). Those will save you time by leaving a cleaner cut.

I run a Dillon to save time and finger pain of holding each case but that is not "affordable" to most. Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1 for affordable and quick. I would, however, spend a little more on either Giraud tri-way or Trim it (if planning to run multiple calibers). Those will save you time by leaving a cleaner cut.

I run a Dillon to save time and finger pain of holding each case but that is not "affordable" to most. Good luck with your choice.
View Quote
I have a Giraud Tri-way trimmer for a $100 does a very good job. Only way faster is a Dillon trimmer on a 650 or 1050. I guess you could use a Dillon trimmer on your 550
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
just to throw this out there,if you use the RCBS X sizing die, and trim your brass to 1.74" for the first time, each subsequent resizing with the RCBS X is supposed.... supposed to keep your brass from growing.

so you don't have to trim every time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
RCBS 3-way trimmer

I have been using this for several months now and love it.

It goes on the end of your RCBS lathe trimmer, whether it's manual or power.

It's very economical.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Tri-Way.  Bought one and kicked myself for not having done so sooner.  Just purchased another for 308 prep  It's great trimming, chamferring and deburring at once.  Much better than using my Wilson case trimmer and chamferring and deburring by hand!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer. I use mine chucked in a small motor, and I will never use anything else!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm using the original Trim-It here. I have it powered by 1/4 hp motor I had and it trims brass fast. I chamfer and deburr on a RCBS case prep center.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I still rock the lee trimmer and cutter. Cheap as hell and goes pretty quick when i chuck it in a drill.

Although I've heard good things about the World's Cheapest Trimmer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the tri way in 223 and really need to order the 308 model.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer. I use mine chucked in a small motor, and I will never use anything else!
View Quote
Ditto.  
Sooooo easy to use in a 3/8" drill.
I use a Sinclair shell holder chucked in a QD drive I fabbed together.
It provides a full-hand grip as opposed to thumb & forefinger.

It might not be as 'fast', but its smooth and a lot easier on your hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top