Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 7:27:44 AM EDT
There seems to be a shortage of standard pulled ball rounds for the 50BMG, I was wondering if anyone has tried to cast and powder coat bullets for their 50cal.

I looked through the first 20 pages of molds at midwayusa and didn't see anything associated with casting/sizing 50 cal bullets. It doesn't seem like a dumb idea to me so I'm sure someone has done this.

I didn't see anything about it in the 50 Cal Forum, since this is the Reloading Forum, I figured if anybody has done this they would post here.

They would only be for short range, low power loads just for cheap, blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
There isn't any decent BMG compatible moulds.

I looked for a decent mold for my 510 Whisper and came up with about zilch.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Just have to know where to look. People shoot cast in 50bmg, I have no personal experience with either 50bmg or casting bullets that large. I have cast 600's for Beowulf subs.

NOE .512 diameter molds

I recall someone having a mold cut to mimic the 850grn amax

Also lots of designs available here

Accurate molds
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just have to know where to look. People shoot cast in 50bmg, I have no personal experience with either 50bmg or casting bullets that large. I have cast 600's for Beowulf subs.

NOE .512 diameter molds

Also lots of designs available here

Accurate molds
View Quote
I didn't know where to look, obviously.

That's exactly the info I needed to get started. Thank you, Jupiter7.

I like the NOE 513-580-SP 4 cavity plain based mold. Since they will be PC'ed I wouldn't think they would need GC's.

Another question: They'll probably come out of the mold at .513-.514, sized to .512 then PC'ed, they would be about .514 again. They would need to be sized again to .512?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whole different ball game if you are pushing the 50BMG long ranges.

In the terms of say a 600 nitro round that is on the slower slide and more of just lobbed down range, something like a cast and coated bullet will work fine for way target practice (not going to work for game that you need to drive long into before the round starts to expand if at all), but with the 50BMG that is being pushed a long ways quickly instead, your not going to have the accuracy of a jacketed bullet since it not going to be as clean spinning in flight (think in the terms of 300blk that increases the MOA amount double when you go from jacket to cast).

So if all you want to do is thump refrigerators around at 200 yards, casted bullet with gas check would be fine, since you should be able to keep them in a 6" group at that yardage.

Again, what every you are getting for accuracy now from a jacket bullet, double it for what your going to end up with a cast gas checked PC bullet pushed to around the same speeds.
View Quote
For the most part I agree. BUT, with lots of alloying trial, heat treating trial and weight sorting, Moa or better is possible. Lots of work though. Only caliber I've gotten those results out of with PC/GC was 30-30, 1.1MOA at 2100fps.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn't know where to look, obviously.

That's exactly the info I needed to get started. Thank you, Jupiter7.

I like the NOE 513-580-SP 4 cavity plain based mold. Since they will be PC'ed I wouldn't think they would need GC's.

Another question: They'll probably come out of the mold at .513-.514, sized to .512 then PC'ed, they would be about .514 again. They would need to be sized again to .512?
View Quote
I only size once. But that much of lead swaging may be better done in 2 stages with lube(case lube) on the PC.

ETA: I would seriously look to gas checks if trying to replicate full bore 50bmg, even with PC. If I was opting for plain base mold, I'd err on the heavy side of bullet weight to keep velocity down and retain energy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Plinker loads are exactly what they would be for.

My OP says, short range, low power, cheap blasting ammo. Blasting 1 gallon milk jugs, watermelons, pumpkins and any other fruits and veggies that get in the way at 50- 200yrds. I have 2 farms (friends) where I've built shooting ranges, they like to shoot the gun but know how much ammo for it is, so they take 1 shot and say that's enough. I'd like them to be able to shoot it more and not feel guilty about wasting a lot of money. $2.50 to blast a milk jug into oblivion is a little high.

I've read a lot about making reduced power loads for rifles and will be doing so with 30-06, x54R and x39 cast bullets and PC. I have the time to experiment and develop a good load for the .50 so my friends and I can shoot a little more cheaply.
They would NOT be for long range, super accurate, competition work. I have other components for that.

Maybe I should just wait and see how the 30-06 goes then use that info for the fifty.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it were me, I would ask here, Link

The Coatings and Alternative (powder coat bullets) forum over at Cast Boolits.

They spell boolits funny, but they are good folks.
View Quote
I've spent almost all day today reading that post.

I read the first 15 pages then skipped to the last and started going back. I figured the last posts would have up to date info, they do. Got a lot of info there.

According to what I've learned so far I think I'll get a GC mold, try a few without, if it doesn't work well then put GC's on them and try again. I think it'll work.

If I don't find anything specific to the 50 then I'll ask.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would like to track down an AMAX clone, but stick with something in the 700-750 gn weight range.

Most all the moulds I could find were for black powder guns.  The only "BMG-ish" bullet I could find was way too heavy at 850+ gns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top