Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
I wasn't paying attention and picked up a box (1,000) CCI 550 primers. Is there any real danger using them instead of regular (CCI 500) small pistol primers?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I read somewhere that the cci large pistol and large magnum pistol were the same primers. Maybe it's the same for the small?

I don't know, but tag for info.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I used some cci large pistol magnum primers for 45 acp during the primer drought. I didn't use them for any max loads, just moderate loads. I didn't notice any difference. If you work up you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#3]
What caliber did you buy them for ?

probably fine, if you are loading towards the middle of the min/max range

during the last 8 year shortage, I've used small magnum for 38 special, 40 ect.

if the book says min 4grs. max 6grs.  and you load them up with 5grs.  you'll fine.

Derek

....of course the correct answer is to buy an old 686,  some SJHP's and H110 magnum powder

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Load away.  No ill effects.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I make no distinction for small pistol primers when loading 9mm and 40..

Local FFL jacked 500's to 550 price,, and priced the 550 at previous 500 level, so I started buying 550,, took all my 500 stash and traded to a few that was afraid to use the 550 that they bought by "mistake"

Started grabbing onto the S&B at local Cabela, as they a good but less expensive, and better when on SALE

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wasn't paying attention and picked up a box (1,000) CCI 550 primers. Is there any real danger using them instead of regular (CCI 500) small pistol primers?
View Quote
No. May want to work up a new loading, if  current load is at maximum. 

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_mamotaip_200909/Link

See Link. 

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My normal 9mm load is with Remington 5 1/2's, supposedly that is Remington's magnum primer. Works great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This is good info
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input.  I rarely load to maximums, but I'll pay attention.  I bought them for everything from 9mm to .357 Magnum to .40 S&W. I think I'll load a few with 500s and a few with 550s and Chrony them to see what if any difference there is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input.  I rarely load to maximums, but I'll pay attention.  I bought them for everything from 9mm to .357 Magnum to .40 S&W. I think I'll load a few with 500s and a few with 550s and Chrony them to see what if any difference there is.
View Quote
Update with results if you can
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It's important to note that "magnum" in relation to primers has no standardized meaning.  None.  It could mean the primer produces a hotter flame, burns for a longer period of time, produces a flame that extends farther through the flash hole, or "other."  It depends on the brand.

In my experience with CCI's 500 and 550 primers, there is a little extra "oomph" in the 550s.  Totally objective, right?  I used 550s in wax bullet loads - .38 Special cases with enlarged flash holes, heated and pushed through blocks of canning wax and then primed.  There was a measurable increase in energy compared to standard primers; the canvas backstop behind my target moved quite a bit more with the 550 loads compared to the 500 loads.

"Magnum primers" are typically called out for "magnum powders" which are harder to ignite, or for some "ball" powders.  Powders like H110 (a ball/spherical powder) are reputed to require magnum primers in handgun loads, but (for me) H110 is essentially "the" powder for .30 Carbine, and I haven't found a manual that called for magnum small rifle primers for that powder in .30 Carbine...

I have just completed loading three batches of my old reliable .38 Special wadcutter load with Unique; one batch each with CCI 500s, with CCI 550s, and with Winchester WSPs.  Unfortunately because Mother Nature tried to melt Central Texas over the last few weeks, I haven't been able to try them out.  My plan is to chrono each batch and see if there is any velocity difference.  I will, of course, report my findings here.

Bottom line, to me anyway, is that unless you're going to use these primers in max loads, they're probably only going to make a trivial difference.  However, my inner Mr. Safety Man requires me to remind you that it wouldn't hurt to test the load you planned to use regular primers in - make up 10 or 20 and see if they behave any differently, or display any pressure signs - before you crank out a zillion of them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
During the great primer shortage several years ago that's all I could find, so I used them.

Just work up your loads and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:02:50 AM EDT
[#14]
" Small Magnum primers are all I use since I loaded some H110 in .357 with standard primers and the manual I used made no mention of magnum primers. I stared in utter disbelief when the primer alone pushed the 125 gr. jacked bullet about 2" down the barrel and did not ignite the powder!"
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

" Small Magnum primers are all I use since I loaded some H110 in .357 with standard primers and the manual I used made no mention of magnum primers. I stared in utter disbelief when the primer alone pushed the 125 gr. jacked bullet about 2" down the barrel and did not ignite the powder!"
View Quote
I'm quoting to point out that primers, all by themselves, are VERY robust.  

I once discharged a small rifle primer into a .30 Carbine into a paint can with the muzzle about a foot outside the can.  It made a huge dent in the bottom of the can, making the paint can bounce up off the floor about 6".  That was a standard small rifle primer, which is not much different from a standard small pistol primer.  

DO NOT underestimate the amount of power in "just a primer."
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I used some magnum SPP during the drought for my powderpuff 40 minor load. There was a slight increase in FPS over the chrono, but I can't say with 100% certainty that it was primers that caused it. My splits were the same.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
During the drought, I used CCI small magnum in my 9mm loads. I saw a 10fps average velocity increase, over the standard primers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I did some testing back during the 2012 primer drought using Winchester, Federal, and CCI SP and SP Magnum primers in mostly 9mm and.38 Special loads. I have the results in a spreadsheet at home but my general findings were that the magnum primers bumped velocities up about 5% all other factors being equal. No overpressure signs or any other issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
DO NOT duplicate this!!!!  I have about 3K winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers, so I decided to see if they would work in my CZP10c.  Load was 6.5gr Herco, 124gr BBI coated bullets, Winchester cases.  I found out that I can make major power factor out of a 4" barrel....1350 fps.

FWIF the load was accurate @ 50yds and cases/primers did not look unusual.

My conclusion is that the primers do make a difference @ top-end loads, and I don't intend to "make major 9mm" again.... and that the CZP10c is one stout pistol!

I've used this load with jacketed 124gr bullets and standard primers w/o a problem, for about 1250 fps (+P level).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot has to do with the particular powder you're using,

some powders react nicer with magnums, some don't like mags at all.

Personal experience: Winchester WSF is awesome with CCI magnum primers,

Silhouette didn't seem to notice a difference.

I've switched to CCI Magnum primers for all pistol loads, all calibers.

Get a better burn efficiency, which means less powder fouling in pistols.

BTW- the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum primer is the same as CCI 400 Small Rifle primer,

I use them interchangeably and get exactly same results from both in identical loads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A lot has to do with the particular powder you're using,

some powders react nicer with magnums, some don't like mags at all.

Personal experience: Winchester WSF is awesome with CCI magnum primers,

Silhouette didn't seem to notice a difference.

I've switched to CCI Magnum primers for all pistol loads, all calibers.

Get a better burn efficiency, which means less powder fouling in pistols.

BTW- the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum primer is the same as CCI 400 Small Rifle primer,

I use them interchangeably and get exactly same results from both in identical loads.
View Quote
If I read that correctly,  CCI 400 will set off powder that specifically calls for SPM primers?  Reason I ask, I have a jug of h110 and know it calls for SPM primers to ignite. Unfortunately around here,  SPM primers are hard to get, but SP primers are a short drive away.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I read that correctly,  CCI 400 will set off powder that specifically calls for SPM primers?  Reason I ask, I have a jug of h110 and know it calls for SPM primers to ignite. Unfortunately around here,  SPM primers are hard to get, but SP primers are a short drive away.  Interesting...
View Quote
Yes, CCI 400s WILL set off H110.  I've done it plenty in 300 Blackout.  The issue is often volume versus powder charge, so with rifle cartridges, particularly 300 Blackout and .30 Carbine, the volume versus volume of powder seems to be close to optimum.

WITH THAT SAID, pistol loads may be substantially different, enough so that a pistol round (.357 Magnum, for example) MAY NOT work well with a CCI 400 primer.  I have read enough about substituting 400s for 500s or 550s, and even if CCI says they are identical, it would be foolish not to test each specific load, particularly since H110 is one of the more finicky powders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top