Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 6:45:25 PM EDT
Since dogsplats thread got derailed lets try this again. What loads do you use in 10mm for bear defense?

This is not meant to be a hunting type thread but a self preservation one. I'm new to this caliber only obtaining
my G20 this past spring. The only powder I could get my hands on for this cartridge was Power Pistol for now.

Others on different boards have used/suggested 800X, Longshot, Blue Dot, AA#9 etc.

Backround on my personal roscoe-G20 with a 4.6 inch KKM barrel and a 23# RSA.

My worked up load--again, for now. We only have black bears in Pa. so really geared towards yotes.

Bullet-180gr Hornady XTP
Powder-Power Pistol---No grain weight as I'm using non-stock barrel and RSA.
Primer-CCI 350
Case-Virgin Starline---After firing it will be inspected and used for lower power plinkers or tossed for recycle.
Veolcity at 15 feet--1250 avg.

In the future I will work up a cast load also 1 for the 200gr XTP but this is what I have to work with for now.

Soooo  shoot.........
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
8.7 power pistol with 180 FMJ  goes 1150 from my Glock 20
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
When friend bought a 10mm a couple years ago, he researched it a bit and settled on Longshot powder which I happened to have on hand for 40sw. I was glad to get rid of it. In my G23, recoil was very uncomfortable. He likes it in his 10mm. But he is a bigger guy. Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
10gr longshot with 180gr xtp Hornady. New starline brass Winchester primer.

Warning this is above book max.

My G20 speaks with authority with that load.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Great! Thedave-what's your barrel length? I know my load would top out over 1300 with a hunting length barrel but for now
Pa won't let me use an auto. Btw mine is a bit over max that's why I'm not posting the charge weight.

Georgia-what for barrel you using? Stock? Aftermarket? Length? How is Longshot metering wise? I've read 800x is pretty much
not very meter friendly. Although max loads would be a one at a time thing cause-max lol.

Anyone cast for 10mm? What's your mold of choice? Trying to get as much info before I pull the trigger on one. Not new to casting
just no 10mm mold-yet.

Seems guys on an Alaska forum favor a 200+grain cast bullet. Some do like the 200gr XTP. That will be the load I work towards,
but at this moment I feel pretty good about my 180/1250/625ftlbs in Pa.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Stock barrel and long shot meters extremely well in my Dillon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank You Sir :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
800-X meters very poorly but if your willing to weigh each charge or have an auto dispensing scale that will do it for you it is an excellent heavy bullet 10mm powder.

My personally favorite is a Hornady 200gr XTP pushed by 9.0 gr of 800-X.  I chronod it at 1250fps from my S&W 610 6.5 barrel and I would be comfortable carrying it for bear protection.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Glock 40 with a KKM barrel.
I did some chrono work yesterday. 180 gr precision delta and 8.0 gr of Power Pistol gave me 1220 fps which is perfect for a fun practice load.
I tried some 180 gr rnfp cast bullets and they jammed terribly every two rounds,velocity was 1325-1350 fps. I have never had a problem with any other bullet from this pistol it has been totally reliable.
13.0 gr of AA#9 and a Double Tap 200gr hard cast gives me 1225 fps and shoots well.
14.2gr of AA#9 and a 180 gr XTP is good for 1325fps and is very accurate. The AA#9 gives me single digit SD as well.
I use Hornady's info and could push it higher but I don't need to.
The extra barrel and slide length and few ounces of weight make a difference in velocity and in taming recoil. I also load 45super in my G 21 and when shooting comperable powder charges and bullet weights the 40 is more pleasant  to shoot. I will try some 200gr XTP and maybe some 155's for fun as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to add this is producing an average FPS of 1319fps.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The only way to stop a bear that intends to maul/kill you before it can do you serious damage is to score a hit on it's central nervous system.  This means that penetration is far more important (you want penetration measured in feet, not inches) than expansion.   You want a bullet that will penetrate bone without deflecting.   Heavy, hard bullets with a wide flat nose work best.  Hollow points, especially those designed to expand at 40 S&W velocities are the last thing you want to try to stop a large angry bear with.  I carried 200 grain hard cast truncated cone bullets going close to 1200 fps in my 10mm for bears, but have since switched to a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 480 Ruger for a bear protection sidearm.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
To all who posted so far-Thanks! Me thinks this is what dogsplat intended. I've been given some excellent info to move forward
with BUT now want to add this:

If you're using a cast bullet what brand and type or if casting your own--mold type and company?

Like I've mentioned before-it's J-words for now but eventually it will be my own cast boolits just like for my other handguns.
10mm is my 'New kid on the block'  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't recommend a specific mould but I can tell you that if you fallow "Wirebrush's" advice, which I totally agree with, look at moulds that are called truncated cone.

Then cast these with alloy in the 18BHN (18 brenell hardness) area. At 18BHN you I doubt you would need to gas check them and if you powder coat them I would almost guarantee you wouldn't need to.  

I've shot 18BHN 210gr (plain cast lubed bullets without gas checks) from my 41mag using W-296 (yes I know it's not a 10mm but damn close) into concrete blocks and recovered bullets that were pretty much in tact.

If they will withstand this they will withstand bear bones.  

Motor
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Motor1. I do have some harder alloy on the lead pile which I used for 357 and 44 mag casting.
Still trying to decide a mold. Something on the order of Double Tap or Beartooth. For right now I just might as well
get some from one of those lads.

Ask and you shall receive-This place delivers
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks Motor1. I do have some harder alloy on the lead pile which I used for 357 and 44 mag casting.
Still trying to decide a mold. Something on the order of Double Tap or Beartooth. For right now I just might as well
get some from one of those lads.

Ask and you shall receive-This place delivers
View Quote
Double Tap sources 200 WFNGC bullets from Beartooth, or at least they used to.  That bullet has a .330" meplat which should feed out of glock mags, but you might have to seat it a little deeper.  I like a .300" meplat better.

I have an Accurate 4 cavity mold that I can't say enough good things about.  All of my future mold purchases will be from Tom.  They aren't cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I load a 200 gr WFN plain base powder coated bullet
           Starline case
           CCI 300
           13.2 gr AA#9
           1.250 OAL

This is 1.4 gr over book max, but no pressure signs, even in my stock G20 barrel.
Averages 1220 fps from stock glock barrel and 1275 fps from a 5.2" KKM barrel
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the heads up on those 200gr WFNGC bullets molar. I seem to see AA#9 pop up quite a bit on a lot of forums,
Really gotta get me some. Will see what Accurate has in the way of molds. Gas check designs would be fine. I have an old Lyman
450 which has done very well (FIL gave it to me when he got out of casting, now I do it all lol).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Rather than deal with hard cast lead bullets why not use a tough FMJ?  I have not tried this for the purpose but I have shoot thousands of the follow bullet in my 10mm as a slower competition load.  If I was going for maximum penetration with my 10mm I would just take my 200gr XTP load and substitute a Montana Gold CMJ 200gr bullet.  It's a flat point round shoulder bullet.  Montana Gold use a brass rather than copper jacket that is thicker than most other jackets and the bottom is closed off with a cap so no expose lead to deal with.  It is a very tough bullet and would not deform when hitting bone.  Just an idea, I would test it before relying on it...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rather than deal with hard cast lead bullets why not use a tough FMJ?  I have not tried this for the purpose but I have shoot thousands of the follow bullet in my 10mm as a slower competition load.  If I was going for maximum penetration with my 10mm I would just take my 200gr XTP load and substitute a Montana Gold CMJ 200gr bullet.  It's a flat point round shoulder bullet.  Montana Gold use a brass rather than copper jacket that is thicker than most other jackets and the bottom is closed off with a cap so no expose lead to deal with.  It is a very tough bullet and would not deform when hitting bone.  Just an idea, I would test it before relying on it...
View Quote
Most FMJ bullets have a core around 5-6 BHN. whereas hardcast bullets are 18+ BHN.  A FMJ bullet will not penetrate as deep as a hardcast bullet plain and simple.

Most FMJ bullets also have a much smaller meplat, even if it is a flatpoint profile.  The WFN hardcast bullets tend not to deflect as much when encountering bone and track straighter than a FMJ bullet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Most FMJ bullets have a core around 5-6 BHN. whereas hardcast bullets are 18+ BHN.  A FMJ bullet will not penetrate as deep as a hardcast bullet plain and simple.

Most FMJ bullets also have a much smaller meplat, even if it is a flatpoint profile.  The WFN hardcast bullets tend not to deflect as much when encountering bone and track straighter than a FMJ bullet.
View Quote
Yeah normally I agree but not all FMJ are the same.  I have recovered many Montana Gold CMJ from berms and even blocks of wood that were still completely intact except for the marks left by the barrel.  The thick brass jacket make for a bullet that I would argue is as hard to deform as any hard-cast lead.   Each to his own...
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#23]
As posted in the locked thread, Underwood 10mm ammo loaded with Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator will go through 1-1/4" lexan. I  don't believe a grizzly's skull will be harder than this.  For this reason, I ordered some of these bullets to work up my own  loads. I'll try with Longshot first.
10mm vs. lexan
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As posted in the locked thread, Underwood 10mm ammo loaded with Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator will go through 1-1/4" lexan. I  don't believe a grizzly's skull will be harder than this.  For this reason, I ordered some of these bullets to work up my own  loads. I'll try with Longshot first.
10mm vs. lexan
View Quote
Bingo.  That bullet is the deal.  Their factory loads are hot, accurate, and can penetrate 2" bullet proof glass....every time.  That's what's in my G20.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only way to stop a bear that intends to maul/kill you before it can do you serious damage is to score a hit on it's central nervous system.  This means that penetration is far more important (you want penetration measured in feet, not inches) than expansion.   You want a bullet that will penetrate bone without deflecting.   Heavy, hard bullets with a wide flat nose work best.  Hollow points, especially those designed to expand at 40 S&W velocities are the last thing you want to try to stop a large angry bear with.  I carried 200 grain hard cast truncated cone bullets going close to 1200 fps in my 10mm for bears, but have since switched to a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 480 Ruger for a bear protection sidearm.
View Quote
This

I carry FMJ in the woods.   Need massive penetration for bear.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
10mm vs. lexan
View Quote
10-7LEO where did you get just the bullets from? I checked the Lehigh site and didn't see any handgun bullets offered.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Right now, they are in stock. Midway
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Double Tap sources 200 WFNGC bullets from Beartooth, or at least they used to.  That bullet has a .330" meplat which should feed out of glock mags, but you might have to seat it a little deeper.  I like a .300" meplat better.

I have an Accurate 4 cavity mold that I can't say enough good things about.  All of my future mold purchases will be from Tom.  They aren't cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I load a 200 gr WFN plain base powder coated bullet
           Starline case
           CCI 300
           13.2 gr AA#9
           1.250 OAL

This is 1.4 gr over book max, but no pressure signs, even in my stock G20 barrel.
Averages 1220 fps from stock glock barrel and 1275 fps from a 5.2" KKM barrel
View Quote
That's really cool you mould your own, I have thought about getting into casting myself at some point. I read somewhere else as well that Double Tap got them from Beartooth. I guess their direct wait time can be months. I got my DT 200gr wngc  from Graf and Son but you can get them from DT directory. I loaded them to 1.255 and they fed just fine in my stock and my KKM barrel. Interestingly the ACME180 gr lead wnfp with a slightly smaller meplat than the DT 200 gr jammed like crazy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

10-7LEO where did you get just the bullets from? I checked the Lehigh site and didn't see any handgun bullets offered.
View Quote
My goof. Looked up Lehigh Bullets should have been Lehigh DEFENSE. Two seperate businesses in Quakertown offering bullets.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree with this...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top