Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 9:57:29 PM EDT
(  EDITED to attempt to replace dead photobucket pics with IMGUR pics )

I've had this LEE 310gr 44mag GasCheck FlatPoint mold for years.

Since I'm powder coating bullets, the GasCheck isn't really needed, so I thought, why not get rid of it.

I posted this idea/question on the castboolits forum, and a member offered to mill  .110" off the top of my mold.

Now, it's a 275gr Flat Base.

cooking

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.  I wish I had the time to get into casting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
are you sizing these boolits...

prior to PC'ing?

or

after PC'ing?

or not at all?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you want a lighter weight bullet, or just lose the gascheck?

If the latter, why not just mill the gascheck ridge off the mold?

Looks good either way!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Run them thru a LEE push thru sizer after coating

Much quicker than my old luberasizer

I wanted a bit lighter bullet also

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/lube-and-sizing-kit/

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a Sweet bullet!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there any way possible to recover some of those bullets after they've been shot???? It would be interesting to see how much compression the bullet's base/grease groove has.

I tried heavy bullets in the 44mag/spl, didn't really care for them. Gravitated to 265gr to 270gr bullet for heavies in the 44cal's, they tend to preform a lot better down range (100yds+).
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010995_zps6i3zmgvb.jpg

That looks great, what crimping grove are you using?
View Quote
I loaded them long when it was a 310gr

I was thinking last night, it might be fun to load them up with some UNIQUE a bit milder then H110.

I'd probably load those shorter,  I've got some experimenting to do

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Milling the mould to remove the gas check is the easy way. Plus it makes your bullets lighter obviously.

I'd rather set the mould up in a vertical mill and indicate in and bore the gas check diameter so it's the same size as the rest of the bullet. This way there is no weight loss and no re-tapping for the spure plate.

This of course takes a little more precision but if you don't want a lighter bullet it's the way to go.

Personally the gas check diameter doesn't bother me. I shoot powder coated cast bullets without the gas check all the time from pistols and they shoot great.

In fact the 440gr 500's will darn near shoot one hole groups at 50 yards and hold a standard defense silhouette at 200 yards.

Motor
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
That 310gr Lee bullet is a beast.     Good thread OP.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Loaded some Long with Win296

.....and some short with 9grs win231

I've read the original 310gr doesn't shoot well unless it's fast, we shall see how it flies about 1000fps at 277gr.
( I've only loaded it with 296/110 before now)

(EDITED to replace broken photobucket pics with IMGUR pics )

here are some more taken from the same day, right off my iphone...

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tttttttttttttttttttttoooooooooooooooooooooooo mmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccchhhhhhhhhh
crip
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tttttttttttttttttttttoooooooooooooooooooooooo mmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccchhhhhhhhhh
crip
View Quote
I've been loading magnum revolver since the 1980's

H110/W296 especially, requires a firm roll crimp

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't go as far as 3221 but I don't think you could go any more without buckling the casing. I'd say that's a maximum crimp.

Motor
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've been loading magnum revolver since the 1980's

H110/W296 especially, requires a firm roll crimp

View Quote
Since the 80's, wow good for you!!!!

The bullet your using always did have what I considered a "small crimp groove. The bullet relied on neck tension to hold it in place with it's lllloooooonnnnnng body. Your picture of a traditional lubed vs pc'd lee bullet from your mold. Note the slope on the traditional lubed bullet below the crimp groove that isn't there anymore from the pc coating.

Your picture again, this time traditional/crimped.

Now your picture of the pc'd/crimped bullet. Huge difference.

Personally I never did like the lee 310 bullet when it was pc'd. It started out life with a small/narrow/short crimp groove and the pc coating really doesn't help any. A picture of 3 different 44cal bullets:
h&g #142 left
lee 310 center
mihec 503 clone right

All of them have 1 coat of pc & the lee only has 1/2 the crimp groove.

Anyway, if you're happy then I'm happy.
Good luck with your newly designed bullet & hopefully you will post some pictures of recovered bullets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I used a maximum roll crimp for a few reasons

H110/win296 needs a firm crimp for good ignition

hot magnum loads, heavy lead, and a somewhat light 5.5" gun can unseat bullets and drive them forward,
locking up the cylinder

like an inertia bullet pulled hammer

recovered bullets will be
teeny tiny slivers under that steel ram across the valley and up the hill

let's please keep this thread civil

stretched out words and multiple exclamation points implies shouting

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry if you thought I was shouting at you. For some odd reason I thought using ALL CAPS implied shouting. A least that's how it used to be but I've only been on the net since 1992.
Heck who knows, I'm not good at the new match either.

Thank you for explaining about a "crimp" for the 44mag and why.

We used to reload/use/shoot/hunt with the 44mags when I lived in the everglades in the late 70's/early 80's. Hunted hogs with a ruger semi-auto 44mag. Used a lot of mag ammo in the 80's shooting silhouettes with a blackhawk & a contender. Then it was cowboy action with the blackhawk & a marlin lever action in the 90's along with bowling pins with a 4" and 8 3/8" s&w.

Don't shoot the 44mags like I used to but I still own a contender (10" bbl) and a 629 classic with a 6 1/2" bbl. Sold off most of my molds along with 3 different sets of swaging dies. I do sill have 2 different sets of swaging dies for the 44cal's. I did keep the custom molds and the hollow based molds for the 44cal's. I still tinker with the 44mag, designed these swaged jacketed hp's for hunting deer with the 44mag. Took several tries to test/retest/re-design the hp shape/depth to get it to stay intact. Did testing @25yds to simulate 100yd hits (1400fps @ the muzzle/1100fps @ 75yds/hit @ 100yds).

Thank you for explaining about what a crimp does for the 44mag when using 296 powder. Back when the heavy bullets first started coming out we'd test them with 2400 then go to 296 when we found hot/max loads with 2400. The 296 had to at least 85% fill because of it's serial ignition properties. But I'm sure you already know all this since you've been reloading since the 80's. Along with how loads of 296 are position sensitive since your have a range that goes up hill for long shots.

Have fun and enjoy your new bullet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No more of those stretched out words in your posts please, yes it's screaming also. (even if you don't think it is)

If you can't express your opinions in a polite manner, then please post elsewhere.

You normally have informative posts and not the heavy satire like the above post.

You may indeed know it all, but if you can't express it in a positive narrative it's unwanted. dryflash3
View Quote
All's I can say is wow.

I absolutely will never ever again put a stretched word in any post, EVER!
Used stretched words as a learning tool for 20+ years. It not only helped young people to spell words out. It helped people to remember something that is important. I will not bother putting up links to stretched words/learning aids. But anyone can do a simple search looking up stretched words and not only why they are used, they can read the benefits of them if they so desire. The stretched words were not there for the benefit of the op. He's been reloading a long time. Pictures are worth a 1000 words, I simply wanted other people with less experience to have a picture with a thought.

Last I knew this was a place to share idea's and help each other. I guess some people look at stretched words as someone that is swearing/dis-respecting someone. It's been a learning tool for 20+ years in the teaching community. Go figure!!! And that ain't satire. that's the truth.

Know it all?
Not hardly!
I will say that I've:
Bought/installed custom bbl's on 44cal firearms. Along with honing/reaming cylinders and cutting chambers an throating bbl's, cutting new/custom/bullet specific forcing cones.
Made my own swaging dies/nose profiles. Hollow/bt/gc/bb posts for swaging bases of lead bullets. Made dies to swage my own jackets to swage jacketed bullets for the 44cals. Made my own swaging dies & bump dies for specific firearms for the 44cals. And yes I make my gas check makers for the 44cal's along with every caliber I cast for.
Owned 100+ molds for the 44cal's at 1 time along with several different sizing/lubing platforms to lube/size bullets for specific firearms along with making my own lube/custom sizing dies for the 44cal's. And yes custom nose punches were a must.
Never really shot a bunch of 44mags, around 50,000+, shot well over 100,000+ 44spl's. Still shoot more 44spl's to this day.

I'm sure there's a bunch of people that have reloaded/shot countless 1000's of 44mag rounds in several different firearms on this forum. I'm also sure that you'll be hard pressed to find 5 people on this website that has worked on firearms to put customs bbl's/chambers/throats/sights/triggers on them. Then made there own bullets for that specific firearm from dies that they made to use in that custom firearm.

Satire? No
Know it all? No

But I do bring a pretty good wealth of knowledge to the table from decades of gunsmithing & custom die making along with casting bullets for the 44cal's from some of the best molds produced for 80+ years.

How about a hint>
Post a picture of a recovered bullet to look at the base of that bullet. That's the "money" shot. That's the 3rd time I've posted that same thing.

Have a great day
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it bad that I am now looking at all my gas check molds, and wondering if I should shorten them a touch?  

What do I do with all the wax and alox?  PC'd is a revolution....  

OP, thanks for the pics.  The one with the red boolits and heavy crimp- that looks almost crushed a hair.  There is a ring visible on the case below the crimp?

ETA: crimp already addressed.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I really want to get into cast every time I see one of these pop up in here.

The the pc makes me think what colors could I use for each caliber I reload for and then for type of powder etc...

I love this place!

Thank you everyone for sharing these things with us all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got one of the molds incoming, and plan on shaving it to just the top of the GC section to leave some of the base taper for easy loading into the case/to mirror the lee 358-158-rf bullet design.
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90303-01.jpg

So with H110/296 and the bullet being around 280gr with PC, looks like somewhere around 20gr should put me about 1175fps with PC coating out of a 8" barrel with a little more head room is needed, but did you find another powder that may be better suited for longer yardages instead?
View Quote
I loaded some with H110/296 and some with a mild load of win231/HP38

Haven't tried anything else.

open to suggestions.

I like that LEE 358-158-rf too.

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, the Lee 358-158 is an excellent bullet. I would not mind seeing Lee do as similar a bullet as they could in 44.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting.  I own the same mold and considered milling off the gas checks but have never considered making it shorter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#29]
...Trust me, if lee offered a mold in the FP design 240gr (mirror of the 38 mold I listed above, but in 430-240-FP), would be all over it like a fat kid on a chocolate bar isntead.
View Quote
Yep

me too.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd like to take this time,  and apologize to  @3221

I took offense to your comment about too much crimp, and reacted poorly

I've been sitting next to my wife most of this year, playing on ar15.com, on my tablet....way too much time surfing ARFCOM, and not enough time shooting.

After 14 years, her breast cancer came back. I spend my days off sitting in the chemo center, worried and with little to do but read a book or play on ARFCOM.    Complications from the reconstruction surgery, have resulted in 4 infections, and she is tired of this, and wants to be done with it.

I'm not sharing this with you to cry on your shoulder, but to try to explain my short fuse.

that LEE does have a shallow crimp groove, and perhaps is was too much crimp.

3221, I appreciate your posts,  and hope you continue to show us the cool stuff you are doing . . . like making spent brass into bullet jackets.

Have a good Holiday
Derek

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yep

me too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...Trust me, if lee offered a mold in the FP design 240gr (mirror of the 38 mold I listed above, but in 430-240-FP), would be all over it like a fat kid on a chocolate bar isntead.
Yep

me too.

I think you can draw up spec for a mold you want and put together a group buy from Lee. Apparently that's why they switched their 358-125 mold design some time back. Guys on some forum drew up what they wanted and made a group buy. Lee liked the design so much they switched to it. That's what I read anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top