Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2017 6:27:29 PM EDT
I recently bought a new house and it has a seperate "shed" behind the house with power, AC, drywall... the works.  I am debating how to setup this room for my needs and looking for suggestions.  I want to use the room for more than just reloading/working on guns so I'm trying to figure out the best way to maximize usable space.  I won't be storing any guns there just ammo, tools, etc.

Specs:

12'x12'  (approx)
Plenty of power (note the power panel in the pictures)
Floors appear to to be stained wood
AC/paddle fan
Doors have standard locks.
plenty of shelving above the walls.

Things I have already considered:

Humidity... I'm thinking I need a dedicated dehumidifier to keep rust a a minimum here in FL.  I found several with a dedicated drain hose that so that I won't have to go in there and empty is every few days.  There is a dedicated window unit AC, but I don't want to run that 24/7.
Locks... It didn't come with the most secure doors.  I'm considering some type of electric strike lock for the convenience factor.  I could also do a z-wave/zigbee.
Lighting... The fan lights are decent.  LEDs would probably better but with a high/steep ceilings my options seems somewhat limited.  I'm also considering using aluminum foil or something else to block the windows so you can't see in.  Not really worried about using natural light.
Flooring...  I need to do something else.  In the current state it would be very difficult to see little springs/screws if the feel on the floor.  I also do want gunpowder between the cracks.  They appear to have been calked at some point but has dried out.

I'm for sure running Ethernet from the main house and mounting a computer monitor on the wall.  I'll hook that up to docking station so I can bring my notebook in to look things/play music/etc.  I'm going to add at least 1 IP camera on or in this place to supplement the rest of the cameras on the main house.

Bench design

Not sure how to do this.  I currently have an XL650 with a strong mount.  A single stage RCBS, and a vice.  Previously, I had a 6' bench that I build in my garage.  The presses/vice were at each end so I only had about 3-4 feet of non-reloading workspace.  I will eventually get another 650 or 1050, maybe a Redding Turret press as well, so need more room for presses.

Questions?

Debating on if I want work benches on 1 or 2 walls.  In the future I'd like to add a drill press, maybe a small air compressor.  Not sure if I want to put my toolbox in here or the garage.

If you guys had this space, how would you lay it out?  Any and all ideas are welcome.  At this point all I'm doing right away is painting the walls and clearing out the stuff that is in there.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
To maximize the space use the middle.  My "bench" is a table in the middle of the room.  Can put a press on each side of the table.  I have 3.  I could mount my Rock Chucker there and have 4 if needed but the unused side is great as a little space to work on stuff

I have shelving and tables and such on the 4 walls

Can even store stuff under the table

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
1"x2" grided dry erase board
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Some general comments:

1) You need lots of light. I would keep the high window for some natural light. Aluminum foil is going to ruin the looks of the room, I would find another way to blackout the windows if you really must cover them. I personally would not.
2) You need some working room on the bench(es) to do setup work, etc. I have an area on my bench for gun cleaning/maintenance. It has a vice on that end as well, you will definitely need a vice for any kind of gun work. No matter how much bench space you think you need, DOUBLE IT! :)
3) You will need an area for brass prep, such as trimming, cleaning, etc.
4) Be careful with fans as the air flow can make electronic scales drift all over the place.
5) Consider a small separate table for your scales. This keeps them independent from all the bumping and flexing that is going to happen on the main bench.
6) Security is a must, but it sounds like you already know that.
7) I would build 2 benches if it were me. L-shaped designs are popular and that leaves you one wall for other benches/tables for brass prep, etc.
8) Be sure to consider storage, which means lots of shelves, both below and above the bench(es).
9) I am glad you mentioned the flooring. I cannot tell you how many dropped primers I have had to get down on my hands and knees to find. Find ways to keep things from rolling underneath benches. I am looking to design something for my benches as we speak. It really is a pain to try and find things that roll underneath, especially primers.

Good luck, that looks like a really sweet space! Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Just me but since it is finished out I would fill it with some cheap furniture and put it up on AirBNB so it could make me some more money for reloading 

for the windows try using some reflectix insulation cut slightly larger than the widow. Put grommets in the corners and use 3m command strip hooks to "black out". It should reflect some of the heat back out the window. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome info guys!  I knew you would mention something I didn't even think of.

I figured I would have the fan off when using the scales.  It looks small, but that thing moves some serious air.  Definitely too much for scales.

I plan on building the bench(es) so that I can have the height, depth, hangover that I want.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know if the AC works but if it does you will not need a de-humidifier. They are virtually the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know if the AC works but if it does you will not need a de-humidifier. They are virtually the same thing.
View Quote
It does work, but I don't want to leave it running all the time.  I was considering a DE-humidier think is more energy efficient to keep the moisture down while I'm not in there.  Any input here would be great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO the best way to set up a multi-purpose (ie reloading, firearm cleaning, other crafts) shop, especially with multiple presses (and other tools) involves a 6' to 8' by 30" bench on which NO presses are permanently mounted.

Use Inline Fabrication's Quick Change system with one (or two) Flush Mount plates routed into the bench. When no press is in use, the whole bench is available for any other purpose. Store the presses (and other tools) elsewhere on Storage Docks until one is needed.

Alternatively, use one of the Ultramounts if you must have your press(es) elevated when in use at the cost of dedicating that portion of your bench to reloading.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It does work, but I don't want to leave it running all the time.  I was considering a DE-humidier think is more energy efficient to keep the moisture down while I'm not in there.  Any input here would be great.
View Quote
Keeping ac on low is better than running a dehumidifier... Dehumidifiers throw off a lot of heat. Just run AC at like 78-80 deg... Mush better off IMO.

I have a split-mini in my reloading space in hot Texas. Leave it running all year long on just a trickle. Electric hasnt been too bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd put 3 benches in a square U shape, tied directly to the walls. Shelf space along the wall beside the door.

For the floor, I would lay heavy vinyl in a reflective color to maximize light or use a garage floor paint on it to seal all cracks and seams.

I would also put in a ceiling to make a smaller area to cool and to "grow" some overhead storage space.

With regard to A/C or dehumidifier- the dehumidifier will cost more in electricity and won't keep the room at a temperature that's conducive to long powder and primer life.
Running the A/C will keep the humidity down and keep the room at a constant temp.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Great suggestions guys.  Keep them coming.  I was wondering about the heat generated by the de-humidifier.  That makes a lot of sense.

I like the idea of building the benches into the wall.  They will be nice and sturdy that way.  Is there a specific design/instructions for doing that?

The Dillon is the only one that really needs to be dedicated to bench.  So I like the idea of using a quick detach type system for the less frequently used ones.

The vinyl floor seems like the best idea yet.  I tried getting those rubber puzzle type tiles but they were too thick and poor quality.

I'll be painting the walls in the next week or so as well as cleaning out some of the existing stuff in there to start working on this...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow!  Nice "shed"!!

For my bench, I used a simple torsion beam out front to make anything I mount rock steady without having to spend a mint in materials.  The torsion beam provides the anti-twist you only get otherwise by adding cross pieces every 12 or 16 inches.  The additional plus is it doesn't matter where you mount......it's all the same.....5" bolts required tho.  Sturdy it is!  One more plus.....you only need one layer of 3/4 plywood for the top.

Went ahead years ago and made a how-to thread with parts/cutting list to make an 8' bench which Dryflash3 made "sticky" to show how its done.

Torsion Beam Bench HowTo Thread

My bench legs are made by adding 2 more 2X4's and 3/4"quarter-round in the corners  (detail below)
Top is just Formica with a 3/4" hardwood trim.  I put Formica below the trim only because it was left over and I didn't have any 1/4" hardwood plywood to match the trim .... that's a "get around to it" project put off a few years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info on the bench design.  So far I've ordered the following:

- (2) Honeywell 4' LED shop lights - Since several suggested I need really good lighting.
- A zigbee temp/humidity sensor to see what the air is like and how much running the AC will benefit.  I'm also going measure the amperage of the AC to see get an idea of the $$ it will cost to run monthly.
- A sample of 12" x 12" adhesive vinyl tiles for the floor.

I think I'm set on using the inline fabrication mounts for the presses as well.  That way I won't need quite as much bench space since It won't be dedicated.

Still thinking on the doors/locks situation, but I'm getting closer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
First thing I would do is figure out which way you are going to expand it in the future.  12x12 is a nice start, but in no time you are going to want 24x12, and then larger...........

Then the next thing you will need is running water for the bathroom and fridge.......and cot when the wife tells you, you might as well sleep out there to........

My current room is 20 x12 and it needs to be twice that size.  On the plus side, I said to hell with a cot and have a 7 foot couch, cable TV, full size refrigerator...........

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Think tumblers:  If I had the room, I would make a closet in one corner, insulate the walls and door, and put shelves inside above a countertop (or two) long enough to put two dry tumblers (one for clean corncob to delube your sized brass) and a wet tumbler or two....where they can make noise while you play and not run you out of the man cave, while they do their jobs!  Heck why not two tumbler counter tops one above the other starting maybe a foot off the floor....to save space (smaller closet).  Home depot has countertops by the foot for that.

No Noise Air:  I use a CO2 bottle and hose, for blowing my press's shell plate area clean.  Quiet, and takes up minimal room.....and I don't need a noisy air compressor.  I fill it once every year or so.  (or you can just use canned air if you are flush) Benchtops get brushed off.

From Zoro:

Floor:  12X12 self adhesive tiles don't always stick for long.....especially if the floor you have now was waxed.  Be sure to strip the existing of wax and for a sure thing spread "real" adhesive on the floor to stick your self-stick tile down.  I like the 12x12's okay, but I like vinyl wood planks even better......but budget comes first.  (building contractor here of 40+ years experience with these types of things)

A Comfy Option:  You might have noticed in my bench picture posted above, that I have those foam floor panels from Home Depot on my concrete floor.  They last forever everywhere except in the traffic areas.....those need replaced every few years as they stretch from compression and bubble a bit. I like them because they are easy on my old body, not to mention they raise the temperature in my loading room converted garage in the winter by 10 degrees.  I'm barefoot in there and comfy.....often.  (If you can't stomach the colors, upside down they are grey.)  I buy a bundle every other year for replacements.... you wouldn't have to replace your existing floor....and when stuff gets knocked off the bench they don't dent or break.

Doors:  The double door entrance is hardest to secure.  If making a single door out of it is not an option, be sure to bolt half of it to the floor and head with sliding bolts and install 1 or 2 dead bolts to the side you want to swing open most often.  Glass is never that secure, but it's necessary unless you want to work in a vault with "prison" lighting.  If you are in high crime area, you might want to add wrought iron bars to the windows bolted clear through the walls and eliminate the windows in the doors.......and make the doors solid wood or better steel with no lights.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info again.  Yea the double doors are a pain, but short of putting in a 48" door I'll probably just try my best to lock/anchor the doors well.  Thinking of just "frosting" the windows with the white film so you can't see in, but it will still let in some defused light.

I was thinking the same thing about the adhesive on the vinyl tiles.  Especially in FL here.  I did like the softness of those foam tiles.  My daughter has some in her play room.  The only thing I don't like about the is how thick they are.

An unfortunately, there is no room to expand this room.  I like the idea of the couch and closet, etc.  But I already have an office in the house with a futon.  The tumbling is still going to happen in the garage.  I have a sink in there, so it will work well for dealing with the wet tumbler.  The reloading room is only a short walk down the side of the house.

I'll take a video of this room in the next few days so everyone can see this better.  The pictures I took pretty much suck.  Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I also highly recommend dedicated light fixtures especially with progressive reloading. It makes it easier to visualize cases as they proceed on the shell plate. Checking for primer issues, crinkled brass necks, incorrect powder charge, etc...

I stand when I reload. Anti fatigue rubber mats on the floor would be appreciated. The mats will also protect tools from damage when dropped.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I also highly recommend dedicated light fixtures especially with progressive reloading. It makes it easier to visualize cases as they proceed on the shell plate. Checking for primer issues, crinkled brass necks, incorrect powder charge, etc...

I stand when I reload. Anti fatigue rubber mats on the floor would be appreciated. The mats will also protect tools from damage when dropped.
View Quote
Yes, I'm going to get some type of sky light for the Dillon.  In my last house, all this stuff was in one corner of the garage and I had to stand as well because the 650 was on a strong mount so I know you're saying.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm almost finished painting the walls.... I've bought some wood to start making a bench.  With the walls a little short of 12' I'm not sure if I want to do an 8' or 10' bench.  I like the idea of having 10 feet, but that leaves about 1' 9" of unused space.  Enough to fit a small trash can I guess.  I still have enough room to make a 2nd bench on the other side.  I will build this against 2 walls so I guess at some point I could add more making it an L shaped bench.

Suggestions on 8' vs. 10' with a little under 12' feet usable?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Suggestions on 8' vs. 10' with a little under 12' feet usable?
View Quote
The longer the better IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top