Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2017 11:58:44 AM EDT
Hello,

I have been loading for 9mm and .45 ACP for a few years. I recently accquired two USGI carbines and am now in love with them.
Last night I loaded my first dummy round for it. The round chambered and extracted in both guns without issues. My round seems to have slightly more crimp than the factory round next to it. Will this be an issue. Case neck was 3.30 on the factory round and 3.32 on mine. Like I said, it loaded and extracted without issue with the dummy round. I guess I just need to load some live rounds and test them.

I welcome all comments and help.

All loading done with a single stage Lee press and dies.

Cases trimmed to 1.285
110gr FMJ
CCI SRP
13.5gr IMR 2447
OAL 1.68

My reload has the gold colored bullet.

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a lot of crimp.  Your accuracy might suffer a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for info
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats a lot of crimp.  Your accuracy might suffer a little bit.
View Quote
Why is there a crimp at all? You shouldn't be roll crimping unless there is a crimp groove.

Doesn't look like there is any crimp on the factory round, which there shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You're fine. Proceed to the live ammo tests. I always crimped 30 carbine for carbines to avoid the risk of bullet set back in the feeding cycle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That doesn't look like crimp, it looks like you chamfered the outside of the case mouth. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Your right.  Might just be the chamfer looking like a healthy crimp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks fine.  I handload 30 Carbine also and as the case is slightly tapered you'll find that even with a carbide resizing die, it's easier if you lube them first. To save a bit of $$, you may want to try some plated bullets.  I've had good luck with both Berry's and X-Treme 110 grn plated bullets.  Just be careful when crimping that you don't overdo it as you can actually loosen up the bullets in the case (brass case springs back a bit while the lead in the bullet doesn't) or cut through the plating.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That doesn't look like crimp, it looks like you chamfered the outside of the case mouth. 
View Quote
Bingo. That was the only piece of brass that I trimmed in which the timmer chamfered the outside. That is not the crimp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top