Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2017 8:36:26 AM EDT
Loading for 3.6" 45ACP SD, would you use 185, 200, or 230 grain XTP? Why?

XTP is bullet that will be used, that's what I have easy access.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking (off the top of my head) that you are not going to get lots of velocity anyway so you might as well use the 200 or 230 . Really all of the above will work well.

Might come down to what load you shoot the best-never a bad way to choose

In self defense the only rounds that count are the ones you land more or less where you are aiming .
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
For me, self defense is the most important application for a firearm.  

What would I do as a reloader?

I'd start with a good quality 230 gr JHP bullet.  

Pick a primer.  I use Winchester.

Sort through your cases and pull a batch that are all the same length (+/- a few mils) or trim them to same length.  

Pull your barrel and measure the chamber depth and a maximum OAL for the bullet you will use.   Make sure you are headspacing on the case rim and not jamming the bullet into the lands.  

Set your crimp die to give a solid crimp but make sure you are still headspacing on the case mouth after crimping.

I'd load 5 at each of several increasingly large powder charges.

Shoot over a chronograph.

Based on your data, find a load that delivers 750 fps to 800 fps.  I think you will end up below 800 fps because of the shorter barrel (I wouldn't try to go to the MIL-SPEC 820 fps, I think you'll find it is too hot).

Load a bunch (50-100) of that recipe and test them at the range - feeding, extraction, ejection, muzzle velocity, accuracy.

Zero failures is allowed.  Failures require diagnosis and remedial action.  Then, a retest.

Consider a replacement spring (new and possibly stiffer) and a buffer.  If you make any changes whatsoever, do them before testing or a retest is needed.  

I've found these small 45's to be a bit finicky at first but are fine once you get them running (springs and load).  

Do not limp wrist the firearm.  It may not cycle properly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I love a lot of things about the XTP, accuracy has been great, but it would not be my first choice (or third) for self defense. Buy you some 230 grain gold dots for self defense reloading. Its worth it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Been loading for 3 in 45 acp and preferred the 230 jhp.  As mentioned, the first requirement is reliability, with the bullet expanding a bonus.  Xtp's expand pretty easy, but they don't expand much.  Speer also has short barrel 230 gdhp.  However gotten weary on loading plus p's and now trying out Missouri's 215 coated lswc with very large meplat.  Considering stop worrying so much about expansion from short barrels, and work on more controllable/less abusive load.

Even the newer jhp's are at edge of reliable expansion in the shorter 45 acp barrels (just an opinion)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady re-made the 230xtp several years back with a much larger hp cavity and is designed to expand at lower velocities. it was my go-to for my short barrel 45 (4") I also loaded it with vv N310 to reduce flash and blast and managed to get it in the 800's suprisingly.

that was what I chose. ymmv
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I would use whatever gives unfailing reliability, and would prefer it to be 230 gr.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an XDs 3.3 which is fed 230gr Hydrashocks. I distrust fast and light in a short barrel even if they do work as professed.
My (old guy?) thinking is a big, slow chunk of lead will cease hostilities quickly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everybody.

Picked up some 185 and 200 gr XTP,

now to get a pound of CFE Pistol and work up loads.

Also going to load some WSF, W231, and HS-6.

Should be able to find some good loads among all those powders.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you find any of those powders gives too much flash, give Ramshot Silhouette a try.

It a low flash powder suitable for 45 ACP.
View Quote
Yep, that's my Go To powder for full power 45ACP loads with 230gr bullets.

Fantastically accurate and controllable in some hard hitting loads.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Bill Wilson has some thoughts on this-

All the mechanical changes are important, but the biggest factor is ammunition selection because it affects both slide cycle speed and the magazine’s ability to lift the cartridge into position for proper feeding. Ammunition loaded with 230gr bullets generate more recoil impulse (especially +P loads) than 185gr loads, and 7 rounds of 185gr ammunition weighs 315gr less than 7 rounds of 230gr ammunition, making the column of ammunition easier for the magazine spring to lift. I hope you see where I’m going here? With modern hollow point bullets we have LOTS of bullet choices of 200gr or less that have proven to be VERY effective in regards to terminal performance.
Here are my personal ammunition choices for compact 1911s:
On The Range
200gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter (H&G #68 mold) loaded to 850fps
200gr Hornady HAP loaded to 850fps
Defense
160gr Barnes TAC TX loaded to 1050fps
185gr Barnes TAC TX loaded to 950fps
185gr Winchester Silvertip
185gr Remington Golden Sabre
200gr Hornady XTP
The ammunition you DO NOT want to shoot in compact 1911s is 230gr +P loads!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The ammunition you DO NOT want to shoot in compact 1911s is 230gr +P loads!
View Quote
This makes a lot of sense, even with heavy springs.

BTW- pistol I'm loading for is a EAA Witness Steel Compact.

Small enough to conceal, heavy enough to control.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Loading for 3.6" 45ACP SD, would you use 185, 200, or 230 grain XTP? Why?

XTP is bullet that will be used, that's what I have easy access.
View Quote

230gr, no contest. Pistol cartridges, especially low velocity auto loader cartridges, tend to perform best when using heavy for caliber bullets, within reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top