Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 11:40:33 AM EDT
Hello All

Subject line says it all. Some recommendations with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
primerhead
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Soft lead ball or cylinder (slug) slightly larger than anticipated bore size, lube, non-metallic rod and a mallet. Good caliper or micrometer to measure what comes out.

Lube lead slug, tuck it into the chamber throat and drive it through (or in a bit, and then back out) to take an impression of the lands and grooves.

Measure the major (between the grooves) and minor (between the lands) diameters of the slug after it's out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to measure a revolver, is it possible to drive in from the muzzle and not damage the crown?

primerhead
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
A plastic mallet to get it started then a wooden dowel rod to tap it through. Won't hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
When I did mt .357 revolver, I used a 5/16" wood dowel and tapped through a lead egg fishing sinker (sorry I don't remember the weight of the sinker) that I had lubed with resizing lube.

The lead was soft enough that it went through the bore fairly easily with some light taps with a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I did mt .357 revolver, I used a 5/16" wood dowel and tapped through a lead egg fishing sinker (sorry I don't remember the weight of the sinker) that I had lubed with resizing lube.

The lead was soft enough that it went through the bore fairly easily with some light taps with a rubber mallet.
View Quote
This is time proven way to do it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Brass still beats a wood rod.

I earned money over many years removing wood rods that split and jammed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Need to measure a revolver, is it possible to drive in from the muzzle and not damage the crown?

primerhead
View Quote
Don't bother slugging the barrel. If its a Smith, it'll be a 5 groove barrel, so unless you have a special V-Block, it'll be impossible to get an accurate measurement.

Instead what you want to do is measure each cylinder mouth. Ideally you want each cylinder mouth to be identical, and all of them to be .001-002" over bore size. It's better in a revolver to have a barrel fit the cylinder mouth properly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, just so happens it is a S&W Model 25 Classic 45LC.  I understand each cylinder mouth should be .001" to.002" larger than the bore.

This gets back to the question, then how is the bore size be determined?

Thanks
primerhead
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, just so happens it is a S&W Model 25 Classic 45LC.  I understand each cylinder mouth should be .001" to.002" larger than the bore.

This gets back to the question, then how is the bore size be determined?

Thanks
primerhead
View Quote
Your best bet is to remove the crane/cylinder, remove the cylinder, remove the extractor rod. Lay the cylinder face down on something flat, take a .45 sized lead ball, lightly hammer it down, then mic it.

It won't be exact. If you want exact, you will need a set of pin gauges.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not being a smart a$$. You need to get the technical details correct.

In a rifled barrel there are 2 different diameters.

1) The bore diameter This is the smaller of the two.

2) The groove diameter. This is the larger of the two.

Both of these are important but with a revolver the cylinder bore is also a major factor because if your cylinder bore is much smaller than the groove diameter there is little chance of getting decent results with lead bullets.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A plastic mallet to get it started then a wooden dowel rod to tap it through. Won't hurt a thing.
View Quote
A dead blow hammer is the best of all.

They are plastic but use lead shot to dampen the rebound from striking hard surfaces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top