Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 9:46:05 PM EDT
Love the hobby and am always looking to expand my knowledge. Anyone subscribe to the magazine? Looks like you can get it for under $20 a year
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been reading it for about 5 years now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad gets it and then gives them to me.

I read every article. Some fascinating information in there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Got them for about 5 years. After the fifth 22-250 and third 45-70 and countless 30-06 features, I figured I'd just recycle them off the bottom of the stack and read them again. I look at them in the grocery store but rarely buy them any more. Great magazine though. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I find most of the content obscure and doesn't pertain to my reloading. It's a good magazine, and I buy it when I see articles in that interest me, but I wouldn't buy a subscription to it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a complete set of back issues.

VERY useful if you ever need to get an older odd caliber working again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I've only seen a couple issues, it seems like pretty much hunting crap that don't interest me.

What could I learn from it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just started a subscription earlier this year, and just received my second issue today. I find it useful and informative.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been getting it for ~10 years now. I thinks it's one of the better gun mags out there and read it cover to cover. They do provide useful information unlike a lot of the other gun rags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
By all means subscribe. You won't be disappointed. They do a good job of covering all aspects of reloading.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How to hunt something besides paper? 

I subscribe, and have for years. I love that magazine. 
View Quote
No interest in paper, I hunt stationary steel plates at varying distance to near subsonic ranges 

But seriously, do they do testing, quality experiments, outside the loading manual stuff or is it the same old shit? "we tried the new soft point on mountain sheep", "revolver load for bear", " great new prairie dog cartridge", " breath new life into your .30-30", etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I always try to get the PDF version when It comes out.
Once in a while there will be an article that interests me.
The June Handloader has an article about annealing that is kind of interesting.
The best part of the magazine is the advertising.
Wolfe Publishing also does Rifle magazine, it is worth getting in PDF
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I find most of the content obscure and doesn't pertain to my reloading. It's a good magazine, and I buy it when I see articles in that interest me, but I wouldn't buy a subscription to it.
View Quote
This is my experiance as well.  It's essentially a vehicle for ads.

I have a subscription because my wife got it for me and thinks that I love it.  I don't have the heart to tell her she's wasting $20 a year so I always act excited when it comes in.

It's good toilet reading, at least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The only gun rag am subscribed to, and have been for quite awhile.  Keeping them provides excellent reference material.  Likely like some others , also have the Ken Waters compilations.   Course over the years, some of the authors are kinda repetitive, like how many ways the "duke" can repeat writing about loading 45 lc, 45 acp, 9mm lead target loads.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been reading it since about 1993--IIRC.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  Wet tumbling for instance (albeit without the stainless steel pins), that is all the rage now, I remember reading about in one of my first issues, and I've been doing it off and on ever since.  (In a homemade case tumbler that my father built that just happened to be built from a water tight container that rotated on its axis)  It's the only magazine I read in its entirety.  I cut out the articles I want and keep them in 3-ring binders, since I don't need 20+ years of the same adds. Their website has PDFs of some of the articles in each issue, so give them a try.  I recommend it (and have no ties to the magazine or anyone involved with it).
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Been reading it since the '90's. It's absolutely the only magazine of its kind. The thing I appreciate the most is their reloading data as it's "real world" velocities rather than those measured in an universal receiver in an underground ballistics lab.

I consider Brian Pearce the Elmer Keith of today and his articles on handguns and reloading for them are fascinating. Likewise John Barsness writes some very good articles on the intricacies of handloading and accuracy in rifles as well as articles that touch on hunting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll still occasionally buy a hl magazine if one catches my eye on the way by the mag rack.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see you like to dabble in Morse code...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, I've only seen a couple issues, it seems like pretty much hunting crap that don't interest me.

What could I learn from it?
View Quote
Nothing with that attitude Mr Smartypants.

I will subscribe for a year or two, let it lapse and start it again a few years later.
Plenty of ads, some good stuff, some okay stuff, some irrelevant stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top