Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 8:56:50 AM EDT
What powder are you guys using? I bought a Lyman and it was not consistent and fell apart and dumped powder everywhere.  I will be reloading rifle as well but I think that flake powder many be more problematic than ball powder.  I'm open to all recommendations, thank you!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Lee Classic Turret and use the Lee Auto Drum without any issues.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Powder measures provide best results with a consistent method of operation.  This is the human component, and frankly the biggest deterrent to getting consistent charges!  Slow down and look at your process!

And, the Lyman 55 is good powder measure.  And, to the OP if you had issues please contact Lyman.  They are good people!  Unless you tried red neck engineering with it?

Dryflash has a done detailing of cleaning and tuning up powder measures in the past with his "Funshow" finds!

I have had an RCBS Uniflow with both the large and small chambers (back when the sold them like that) a long time!
It works well for my purposes.  I used it with the Dillon and powder measure adapter, too.  

Redding powder measures are great!  Harrells a step above!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the lyman PM. It has never been consistent for me with pistol powders. Flake or ball. Even H110 did not meter well in my lyman.

It did however work very well with extruded powders for some reason. +-.1g usually.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm happy with my Redding's.

Also have a Harrell's.

Go Redding.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm happy with my Redding's.

Also have a Harrell's.

Go Redding.

Danny
View Quote
My two favorite MP's.

My Redding 3BR is smooth and consistent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased a Hornady PM a couple weeks ago.  Mine came with the large drum for rifle, which according to their site is good down to about 5gr of powder.  After degreasing it, I started throwing some Universal for 9mm.  My charge was 4.1gr, and I was checking every 10th round.  

For throwing less than the recommended amount of powder, i was very impressed.  Of course, I've been throwing powder and measuring on a beam scale for the last 14 years.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently bought the RCBS competition PM. It's been pretty decent so far. I've used it with h110, CFE pistol, CFE 223, H335, AA#9, Tightgroup and some others. I haven't done extensive testing, but with the ones I measure (usually 1 in 10) the variance has been about .1 gr or less.

With Varget and 3031 it wasn't great but for rifle loads I usually trickle up anyway. I did do some 30-30 loads with 3031 and didn't trickle. Didn't think a few 10ths would make much difference in the lever action 30-30.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Harrell - spend the money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Lyman 55 as well.

I completely disassembled and cleaned it before use. Used a dryer sheet to remove static as well.

One thing i noticed was the screw on the left side that holds the whole barrel together was loose as hell right out of the box.

After all of that, i threw 300 charges for .45acp using Bullseye checking every 10th charge. Never had a +/- at all.

Did the same tonight with 200 charges for .38spl using hp-38. Had a few +.1's here and there. (Not really a fan of that powder..)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For loading not done on my Dillon, I use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

It throws most powders just fine, a couple I will throw light and trickle up.
View Quote
I also really like the Lee PPM for stuff not done on my Dillons.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not needed for pistol powder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harrell - spend the money.
Not needed for pistol powder.
Not needed ever.  For the price it should beat everything hands down.  Reviews and testing have shown them to not be anymore accurate than any other rotary drop.  Use Google to find this info.  Just because its the most expensive doesnt mean its the best...

Buy a decent rotary drop, Hornady is my favorite, but the Reddings are very nice, but even the Lee rotary is good enough for pistol to be honest.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I went through 5 different measures before deciding on the Harrell.

I'm aware how Google works - my decision was based on first hand experience.

Quoted:

Not needed ever.  For the price it should beat everything hands down.  Reviews and testing have shown them to not be anymore accurate than any other rotary drop.  Use Google to find this info.  Just because its the most expensive doesnt mean its the best...

Buy a decent rotary drop, Hornady is my favorite, but the Reddings are very nice, but even the Lee rotary is good enough for pistol to be honest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went through 5 different measures before deciding on the Harrell.

I'm aware how Google works - my decision was based on first hand experience.
View Quote
Recommending a Harrell to throw pistol powder is foolish in my opinion.  My Hornady will drop W296, TG, CFE-P, PP, all day long at less than a .05gr variance tested numerous times on 10 and 20 charge drop weights with average.  Thats about the same accuracy as the Harrells get as well.

Even when throwing a stick powder the Harrell has to cut grains just like anything else, which makes it no more or less accurate than any other rotary drop.  At that point I would rather use my Chargemaster and spend less time banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my charge weights are +/- .1gr even though I spent a ton of money on a rotary drop.

I wont dispute this about the Harrell though, its is probably the most fine tuned, well built, most expensive measure out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top