Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 8:47:14 PM EDT
Suggestions for good quality bench top priming tool.  Will be used for rifle cases only on precision and bench rest applications.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013R85BU?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I have the press mounted version of the item above. Have been using it for more than 20 years. I got the strip loader as well. IF I had it do over again I would have gotten the bench version. Both work very well. I am still using the original primer strips from back in the day, along with some purchased recently so that I could have more loading and less refilling. Personally just not a fan of the hand held primer tools out there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend the RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted tool. I have the standard tool with primer tubes. Only thing I'd recommend is to buy extra shellholders so you can use one in the primer and have another in your press. Great feel, just the right leverage, and the automatic placement of a primer in the cup from the tube is practically flawless. I've seen this tool on sale at a couple places just in the last few days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Semi hijack..........for the guys using the RCBS gen 2 tool what do you feel is the optimum mounting position?

Like pictured above with the handle parallel to the bench edge or would a 45 degree angle (handle overhanging the edge of the bench) be more comfortable?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of people poopoo the Lee but I love it.

Use it for .223 and recently 9mm. Works perfect for the last several thousand rounds.

The main thing I've experienced is the feeding system, it gets built up with a coating of brass residue(kind of a film) clean that once and awhile with Hornady one-shot cleaner and lube, it runs great.

I honestly wasn't expecting much for $30/shipped but I like it so much better than my Hornady lnl press mounted system.

The Lee gives good feedback through the handle too on hard or too easy seating.

I'll buy another if mine ever died.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Not bench mount but the lee hand press.
Can do much more than just prime. Cheap too
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of people poopoo the Lee but I love it.

Use it for .223 and recently 9mm. Works perfect for the last several thousand rounds.

The main thing I've experienced is the feeding system, it gets built up with a coating of brass residue(kind of a film) clean that once and awhile with Hornady one-shot cleaner and lube, it runs great.

I honestly wasn't expecting much for $30/shipped but I like it so much better than my Hornady lnl press mounted system.

The Lee gives good feedback through the handle too on hard or too easy seating.

I'll buy another if mine ever died.
View Quote
I also have the Lee Bench Mount Primer and mine works great.

Before I used it the first time I took it apart and lubed all the moving parts. You don't have to but it made it run smooth as glass.

Yes, it does give good feedback on easy/hard seating primers. I have mine mounted sideways like dryflash has his RCBS mounted.

It's fast and the handle makes it easy on the hands and provides a lot of leverage, so much that I only use half of it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Lee Bench Mount.

Honestly dont know what could possibly be improved on it.
It takes soo little effort to seat them, and gives good feedback on pressure.  
Its quick, easy, and cheap.

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Our first experience with the Lee bench tool was not so positive.

We're having a lot of feeding issues with small primers. They are dropping into position sideways then of course get crushed if not caught.

We tried using the similar Lee press priming trays as well as a RCBS primer tray (which is nearly identical to the Lee press tray) but haven't really worked out the bugs yet.

Any suggestions?

Motor
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our first experience with the Lee bench tool was not so positive.

We're having a lot of feeding issues with small primers. They are dropping into position sideways then of course get crushed if not caught.

We tried using the similar Lee press priming trays as well as a RCBS primer tray (which is nearly identical to the Lee press tray) but haven't really worked out the bugs yet.

Any suggestions?

Motor
View Quote
I'll get them once and awhile, biggest thing I've found is to keep the tray, and guide area leading to the ram clean. Hornady one-shot clean and lube is what I use because I have it on hand for my press. I wouldn't be afraid to use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll get them once and awhile, biggest thing I've found is to keep the tray, and guide area leading to the ram clean. Hornady one-shot clean and lube is what I use because I have it on hand for my press. I wouldn't be afraid to use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
View Quote
Thanks but I can't understand how it could be "not clean" this is fresh from the box brand spanking new.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok second use of tbe Lee last night this time with large pistol primers. (45acp)

The first 100 went ok but with an occasional hiccup. I read something on another forum about removing the "0" ring. If you zoom in on the photo posted above you can see it.

This "0" ring obsorbs some of the free play in the system. The unit actually works better without it. Letting the handle rebound on it's own without the "0" ring dampening it's movement gives the unit a little shake if you will and helps primer feeding.

The "0" ring also seems to slow down the rebound of the mechanism which leads to more hiccups.

The biggest problem with this thing is primer feeding. Unlike the hand primer you can't give it a little shake so you must purposely rattle this thing while using it to keep it running good.

I am getting to like this thing more. If you have tired working hands that hurt and tend to fall asleep this thing is well worth the cost.

I have 2 other hand priming tools and yes I'll still use them (one old style Lee and one RCBS that uses press shell holders) but if I am going to do a hundred or more I'll definitely be using the Lee bench mounted primer tool.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok second use of tbe Lee last night this time with large pistol primers. (45acp)

The first 100 went ok but with an occasional hiccup. I read something on another forum about removing the "0" ring. If you zoom in on the photo posted above you can see it.

This "0" ring obsorbs some of the free play in the system. The unit actually works better without it. Letting the handle rebound on it's own without the "0" ring dampening it's movement gives the unit a little shake if you will and helps primer feeding.

The "0" ring also seems to slow down the rebound of the mechanism which leads to more hiccups.

The biggest problem with this thing is primer feeding. Unlike the hand primer you can't give it a little shake so you must purposely rattle this thing while using it to keep it running good.

I am getting to like this thing more. If you have tired working hands that hurt and tend to fall asleep this thing is well worth the cost.

I have 2 other hand priming tools and yes I'll still use them (one old style Lee and one RCBS that uses press shell holders) but if I am going to do a hundred or more I'll definitely be using the Lee bench mounted primer tool.

Motor
View Quote
I didn't mention the primers not always dropping down, mine does this too. I just tap the tray every 4-5 rounds to keep them moving.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Primed 300 9mms with the Lee bench mounted primer tonight. I only had a couple stoppages and only seated one sideways which could have been avoided.

I think this thing is going to work out just fine.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I am thinking that the RCBS APS (strip system) looks enticing, but the reviews on Midway are not so great (lots of 1 star ratings), which worries me. Are there any other RCBS APS Priming System users around here that care to comment on the negative reviews? Are these user error problems?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have both, the APS Bench mount and the Press Mount.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tools/P1010801_zps363e77dc.jpg

RCBS 2nd generation. Has auto primer feed and this tool is fast and works well.

Both tools give good feel when priming.

That's the RCBS tools, someone else will have to cover the Lee and other tools.
View Quote
I used to have one of those and loved it. When I finally switched from single stage reloading to all progressive I didn't have a use for it any more and sold it.

The factory primer feed tubes only held like 80 or so not 100 but you can use the Dillon primer feed tubes
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top