Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 5:10:39 PM EDT
I decided to give the walnut tumble before sizing a try. I must be doing something wrong as the brass comes out a bit dusty and seems like I still need to clean that off before lubing and sizing.

It's not a lot so not sure if I need to worry about it or not. Do you worry about the little bit of dust? If so, how do you clean it off? I've been rolling it around in a damp towel, but I still find the occasional chunk of walnut.

I am using a home brew media mix. It's the reptile tank stuff. Fairly low dust but not zero. Since I'm just trying to get any dirt off before sizing, I didn't think I needed a full polish. Still works pretty well to polish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not have that problem but I do not use the pet store stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What if you rinse the walnut pieces first and let dry?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you adding any polish to the media?  

Frankfort Arsenal Polish

I use it with corncob media for pistol brass, and it works fine for me.  Without it, the brass comes out quite dusty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a blower attachment from my air compressor to knock of any of the extra dust. Works good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If they feel a little dusty, I use a towel and move it like cleaning a bowling ball.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you using Lyman red death media?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No. Just lizard tank stuff from the pet store. Obviously not meant for this, but I figure walnut is walnut. I could add some polish to the media or rinse like suggested above. It's not all that dusty. Just feel kind of gritty after removing.

Quoted:
If they feel a little dusty, I use a towel and move it like cleaning a bowling ball.
That's what I've been doing with a damp towel. It still leaves a little bit behind including some inside the cases that manages to fall out when using the home brew lube in box method.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Toss a couple used dryer sheets in there while it's running as well. It collects a lot of the dust.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Add a couple of caps of NuFinish, and an equal amount of mineral spirits to the running tumbler 10-15 minutes before adding your brass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I made the mistake of trying that stuff. I'm still cleaning it out of my tumbler.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
With no brass in the tumbler.

Cut up 4 dryer sheets into large squares, like 3 X 3 inches.

Soak the squares in tumbler media polish, or if you have none use rubbing alcohol.

Run tumbler with top off, place squares in one at a time, put top on, and run for 30 minutes.

Repeat if necessary.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
If the walnut or any media is really dusty, along with some used(or new) cut dryer sheets, I use a cap full or so of odorless mineral spirits. I dribble in the mineral spirits, once the media is not clumping, toss in the cut up dryer sheets. let it run until the media looks even in color, if it still looks dry in color(light) add a little more mineral spirits. I know I've added enough mineral spirits once the walnut media has a slight dark color and moist look, but is not WET. remove and toss the dryer sheets, they should be DIRTY!!

I then dribble in a little Nu-finish if I'm polishing. Let that run a few minutes and toss in the cases.

Since I started wet tumbling, I don't really use the dry media any more for cleaning prior to sizing. I do use dry media for removing case lube...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I tumble in a small cement mixer, because I do a lot of.50 BMG.
I also use a Dillon vibratory tumbler.

I found that if it tumbled outside without a lid a few times almost all of the dust blew out.
When it was new it made quite a cloud of dust.
It's clean now, and the brass only needs a small wipe before sizing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I agitate with one hand while blowing the dust off with a compressor. Brass comes out pretty much dust free. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the same pet store lizard litter stuff and throw a couple Bounce unscented dryer sheets in with every load.  They soak up a good bit of media dust.

After tumbling I pull the sheets out first and throw them away then hold the tumbler about 2 feet above the separator and dump the contents letting the drop sift dust out.  after running the separator I remove the brass then hold the separator tub a couple feet above the tumbler and pour the media back into the tumbler again letting the drop sift dust out of the media.

I do this outside and make sure I'm up wind.  Definitely don't want that dust inside or in your lungs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the ideas and tips. Since everyone seems to be dealing with the same issue I guess I'm not really doing it wrong. I'll try the dryer sheets, polish, etc. and see what works, but ultimately I still envision some of the dust and debris hanging on. So far, it hasn't seemed much of an issue so guess I'll just do what I can to minimize it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Walnut media I bought at Harbor Freight.  Mine feel dusty but I have wiped them and I am not wiping off any noticeable amount of debris, so I don't worry about it.  I have also stopped adding any chemicals to the media.  I put used dryer sheet pieces in because they help keep the media clean.  When I am done cleaning the brass, I will throw some fresh dryer sheet pieces and just let them run through the media for about 5 minutes.  I do this three or four times, adding or replacing dryer sheets as needed.  The first batch or two can come out pretty black.  After that, they come out light gray and I call it good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]
My recommendation is ditch the walnut and buy a tub of the green Lyman stuff off Amazon.

I tried it a while back and it's great. Almost no dust, does a great job and seems to last a long time.

I used walnut exactly once. Never again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I already wet tumble. I was just experimenting with dry tumbling before sizing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Find someone with a Grainger account and check out their polishing media...It's been awhile since I bought walnut or corncob but I think it was around $25 for a 40 lb. bag. Comes in different grades also (bigger/smaller) particles...That and used dryer sheets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Walnut media needs a little mineral spirits mixed in.

Before adding brass to the media, turn on the tumbler and pour about a capful of mineral spirits into the media.  

Let that mix for a minute or two before adding your brass.  Don't add the brass until the mineral spirits are uniformly distributed.

Eventually, the mineral spirits will evaporate.  When it does, just add another capful.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My recommendation is ditch the walnut and buy a tub of the green Lyman stuff off Amazon.

I tried it a while back and it's great. Almost no dust, does a great job and seems to last a long time.

I used walnut exactly once. Never again.
View Quote
I'll second this. I've tried the pet store stuff, and it's just too dusty for what we want to use it for, and yes I've tried all the tricks. Corncob is the way to go, and it does just a good a job. My other advice is to stay away from car waxes. There is plenty of better products meant for tumbling. I've been having good results with Flitz.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This stuff is like red death.
I'm finishing up my last bit of it.
I just toss the brass into an old pillow case and toss it around a bit.
Works nicely.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I use walnut media with some Nu finish and mineral spirits. The cases sometimes come out with a little dust on them, but I have never worried about it. My 9mm Dillon dies have loaded over 20k cases so far and don't show the slightest hint of scratching the cases. The inside still looks like glass. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I use lizard bedding ($6 from Amazon for 13lbs), airsoft pellets (recommended in another thread), and NuFinish car wax.  It is slightly dusty, but not horrendous like the red death.  Dryer sheets work best, but since I don't have anymore, I've been using the blue shop towels.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
What do the airsoft pellets do?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top