Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
Bought this new Rossi 92 in 357 mag:

Fired it today, no hiccups, every round fired.

Never shot 357 mag before so is this normal?

This is Perfecta 158gr FPMJ.

Two casings to the left is Perfecta factory and 2 casings to the right are my reloads, 16gr Lil gun (starting load) Bullet to the left of the casings is a Hornady XTP 158gr shot into the wet dirt.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow

Mine doesn't do that.

even with hot H-110 loads

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifles, guys!

Measure the unfired cases and the fired cases.

If the fired cases are still within the SAAMI specification limits for the chamber, there's probably no complaint with the rifle's chamber.

If the unfired cases are below SAAMI minimum spec for the cartridge, your complaint should be against the ammunition.

If the unfired cases are to the low side of spec and the fired cases are to the high of spec, you have an unfortunate but acceptable situation.

Honestly, even if it's in spec, I don't like it.  Almost certainly, you are going to get very short case life.

Go make some measurements and we can compare dimensions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifles, guys!

If the fired cases are still within the SAAMI specification limits for the chamber, there's probably no complaint with the rifle's chamber.

If the unfired cases are below SAAMI minimum spec for the cartridge, your complaint should be against the ammunition.

If the unfired cases are to the low side of spec and the fired cases are to the high of spec, you have an unfortunate but acceptable situation.

Honestly, even if it's in spec, I don't like it.  Almost certainly, you are going to get very short case life.

View Quote

Will do, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice rifles, guys!

View Quote

I shot 4 different types of brass.

Perfecta was the only factory. I used Winchester, Federal and Remington brass all full length sized in my Lee carbide die set.  All of them did this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Make the measurements.  Post the data.  

Let's compare numbers.

Sometimes photographs can exaggerate or under-state the problems.  Good data does not lie.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice rifles, guys!

View Quote

Measured the Perfecta cases

The web of SAAMI is .379-.3809

Perfecta is .376.

Rim thickness SAAMI is .06", Perfecta brass is .054"

Rim diameter SAAMI is .440-.444" Perfecta is .434.

So, the Perfecta is undersized. No problem. I can shoot other stuff. However my reloads from various manufactures all show bulges too.

So the chamber is on the large side and I got a sloppy chamber.

Now I've read online that Rossi/Braztech when they get guns back they often oversized the chamber.

This gun was new from my FFL. They offer a lifetime warranty with any gun you buy from them.

What should I do? I don't want a rifle that will destroy my brass, the whole point was to reload and save $. Especially with Cali ammo laws going down the pipeline I need to conserve my gun materials.

Should I return it? The action is smooooooth. Functioned great but it's a fat chamber.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Measured the web of the fired case:

.389" !!!

.009" too big.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If all brass shows that bulge, I would be calling the manufacturer.

Hopefully they will have you send it in and change the barrel.
View Quote

38 special brass does not show the bulge, just 357 brass?

Will take it the gun shop I purchased it from tomorrow.

They have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Looking at the SAAMI book spec appears to be .3809"+.004. So I believe max is closer to .3849".  Regardless there is probably some spring back in the brass, and out of spec is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Gave it to the FFL I bought it from, they are shipping it back to Rossi.

Hopefully Rossi will slap on a new barrel and send it back.....before 2018.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top