Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
Bought some new 6.5 Creedmoor cases recently. Today I started to do some work with the cases and the second or third case would not fit properly in the shell holder on both my Co-Ax and RCBS. After looking closely at the case I noticed a sort of burr or gouge in the top of the case rim that pushes material into the extractor groove.

I started checking more cases and it seems +80% have enough displaced material to cause some level of binding problems in the RCBS shell holder, ranging from minor friction to inability to insert the case. If I force the case in and twist 'em it seems to knock the burr down and allows the case to spin freely, but they aren't totally smooth.

I plan on contacting the manufacturer tomorrow, but would like to know if anybody else has had experience with this.

Thoughts on if this will cause extraction problems?

Picture attached shows the left and middle cases with larger gouging (won't go in the shell holder without force or twisting) and the right case with what appears to just be a rough finish (slight friction and binding in the shell holder).

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thoughts on if this will cause extraction problems?
View Quote

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Go and try it.  Try to feed and chamber them in your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My brass does not show those gouge marks, but I have the same problem with once-fired LC 5.56 cases fitting in my RCBS shell holder.  I have resorted to using the Lee shell holder I happened to have because a large portion of my brass was getting stuck in the RCBS shell holder.  The weird thing is, I can't see any gouges or distortion.  It is almost as if the rim itself spread out during firing, so the increased and oblong diameter is what prevents smooth insertion, as I can sometimes spin it and it will go in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
lake city ,year 13 does the same in my presses. what brand was the creedmoor?  I will be ordering some soon and would like the heads up on possible  problems
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Dings and burrs are not uncommon on fired brass from autoloading firearms.

If you have a small file remove the burrs. Removing "raised metal" only is not going to change the strength of the rim any more than what it already is.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This technique won't help burrs inside the rim (where extractor claw goes in), but may help with out-of-round and burrs on edge of rim.   Put the rim in the top part of a drop-in case gauge for the caliber:  that is, put it in backwards/upside down a bit.   Turn the case case rim inside the top of the gauge a few times back and forth to see if it knocks off/reforms some material and makes the rim more round.   Helps to wear some kind of rubber or rubber-coated gloves to get a grip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, not sure from the post, I assume that work with the cases means you loaded and fired them?  In an AR?  Did they come from the vendor that way?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
To clarify these are brand new never fired cases. I pulled them from the factory packaging and those marks were present.

These will be going through a bolt gun in the future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To clarify these are brand new never fired cases. I pulled them from the factory packaging and those marks were present.

These will be going through a bolt gun in the future.
View Quote

Well that changes everything. New brass should not have burrs on it like that. I would be contacting who you got them from and or the manufacturer. That's unacceptable.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Right, no excuses for factory new cases that will not fit into a normal shell holder.  They owe you new good quality brass within specs, or a refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top