Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
I just bought some Lapua .223 brass cases (at great expense here in the UK...) and was wondering if I should first resize, and even trim if necessary afterwards?  Brand new they check out fine in my Wilson gauge, so it got me wondering whether I just go straight to loading them.  Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I'm just building my skills on loading for my special build AR.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually neck size for neck tension and trim to uniform length.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you bought Lapau brass, the case prep is done.

Check for proper neck tension, then load.
View Quote

This.. people that will tell you to size and trim first probably have never bought Lapua brass.

I have never bought 223 but I have a few hundred 338 Lapua and about 700 Grendel. I case gauged and measured many of them before I loaded. They were sized and trimmed more uniform than I could have done. Why make it worse.

This doesn't hold for Hornady and Norma brass which have both been a disappointment to me. Dented necks, etc..
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:01:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If the neck size is to your liking, you don't need to do any more since the shoulder datum is already within specs.

When and if the necks are not where you want them, or if there are dented necks, I have had lots of luck with .30 and .223 by straightening and adjusting the factory sizing with a Lee Collet Die.

The taper on the mandrel will straighten and round out the worst of dents, and then the collet will size them without case stretch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
At a minimum with Lapua brass, you need to neck size or use an expand iron mandrel to uniform the case necks.  The brass takes a beating traveling from Finland to US then to distributors then to dealers and finally to you.
It seems that with the transition from the cardboard boxes to the blue plastic several years ago the cases take more a beating.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses guys.  I contacted Lapua on their web site and got a prompt and friendly reply - on a Sunday afternoon as well!  They say they are pre-prepared and I'm ok to go straight to loading them.  Tomorrow I'll just plop one or two in the breach to be totally sure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I will try to put some numbers to this question a little later. I shot some reloads today with untouched Lapua 223 brass straight out of the box, a string with trimmed but unsized and a string with resized and trimmed. Made a big difference in neck tension, you could feel it seating bullets, and extreme spreads were impacted significantly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I always chamfer the case mouth and use a expander mandrel in the first station on my press before seating the bullet in order to uniform neck tension.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At a minimum with Lapua brass, you need to neck size or use an expand iron mandrel to uniform the case necks.  The brass takes a beating traveling from Finland to US then to distributors then to dealers and finally to you.
It seems that with the transition from the cardboard boxes to the blue plastic several years ago the cases take more a beating.
View Quote

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.  Any new brass, neck size or use a mandrel to iron out the necks.  The can and do get damaged during shipping.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Unprepped
ES=42 fps
Ave = 2759
SD = 17.84

Trimmed
ES=21fps
Ave=2763
SD=7.69

Sized and trimmed
ES= 13
Ave=2768
SD=5.40

Neck tension writ large.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a very intriguing exercise, many thanks for doing that.   SD = spread or standard deviation?  Does resizing tighten necks then?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You can adjust neck tension by using bushing dies with interchangeable bushings of different  diameters.

If done with an expander ball or mandrel, you can actually decrease neck tension, consistency is important. Some non bushing dies will run up to 0.004 (brass thickness will affect this.).  Lately, I have been trending toward less neck tension in bolt action. Autoloaders still need about 0.002 to keep bullets from pushing back into the neck.

With new brass, a little neck lube, graphite, motor mica or the like is a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Snip
A word of caution, Lapua brass comes from the factory with way too much neck tension. You will either need to neck size new Lapua brass or run an expander mandrel (Sinclair International) or Expandiron (K&M) to get something closer to .002" to .003" of neck tension. Bolt actions only need .001" of neck tension. Anything higher than .003" of neck tension is detrimental to accuracy.
View Quote

This guy is worth listening to, this is taken from a thread on duplicating FGGM 308
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top