Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:01:24 AM EDT
I kind of want to start reloading ammo but I'm not sure what the cost would be and if it would be worth it financially. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For plinking ammo, no.... for precision Ammo yes
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a difficult question to answer.

1. Do you have the time and $$ to invest in this setup?
2. Do you have the space needed for all the reloading components?
3. What do you wish to accomplish, match grade or precision loads? Or just range ammo?

Money, space, and time are the key factors. The more money for components ( press, brass tumbler, powder scale, de-crimper for mil brass, case trimmer, etc. ) the more space you need. But, the less time you will spend doing everything one by one. Think efficiency.

If you have $$, space, and time, and want to explore another side of the sport, by all means go for it!!

Or, you can buy all your ammo at SGAmmo.com and hit the easy button.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not counting the brass, I can reload for 13.5 cents a round.  That's with Hornady 55 gr sp, H335 and Winchester primers.

The initial investment is considerable, but the long term savings is also considerable.

I still reload on a single stage press that I've had for over twenty years.  It will take on average about 1 minute per round.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If we are talking blasting ammo and you place any value on your time.......NO. Different story on precision ammo.
I have the capabilities and plenty of supplies but have not loaded 55 gr FMJ in a long time.  Still nice to have that capability though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
With the case how much is the cost per round?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
For precision yes.

Can be for plinking too depending on volume that you shoot.  If you do USPSA or 3 gun it's needed
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with what everyone has said about price. But I would add there is quantitative enjoyment in doing it. 
So if you're the type that likes to do things just because you can or have a DYI side it's something to consider. 

I find that I get as much enjoyment out of finding the best deals on components and putting them together as I do the actual shooting. Mainly because I like building things. If you don't enjoy it for the sake of doing it, you may get bored with it quickly 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It'll takes a lot of time and many, many rounds to repay  the equipment investment with cost savings.  It's a long term proposition.  The real payback is building custom ammo for each gun.  I can build things I can't buy.  If you're just looking at cost savings for a range round in a single caliber it's  likely not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The last time I purchased LC brass it was $68 per thousand shipped.  All 2013 head stamp.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Another way to look at the equation, in a nut shell:

50-150 rounds at a reloading session will cost you about $ 700.00 for an entry-level set up.

500-750 rounds, about $ 1,100.00 for the set up.

1000-3000 rounds, about $ 3,500.00 - 5,000.00 ++ for the set up.

This is for all the tools you will need to be efficient and safe.
It does not include powder, brass, primers, or bullets. Also not included is storage. And don't forget the fire extinguisher.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
premium powder = 10 cents a round 24.2 grains of VihtaVuori N140
primer 3.5 cents each
surplus Lake City brass 7 cents each
match grade bullets on sale 8.5 to 20 cents each

Every time you reload the brass case your cost gets divided again. Reload it once and the case cost 3.5 cents. Reload it three times and it costs 2.33. I only reload them four times because it's too cheap to worry about after that. 1.75 cents on the forth reload.

40.5 cents each or $8.10 cents a box for 69 grain of 77 grain Sierra Match King bullets loaded specifically for best accuracy in your particular rifle. Federal Gold Medal Match is over $1.00 per round and it's not custom loaded for your rifle.

I purchase bullets in bulk to save more money and I take advantage of fantastic sales even when I don't need any bullets. Last week I purchased 1000 Berger 55 grain flat base varmint/match bullets from Widener's for $89.00 plus shipping. Last year I purchased a 6000 bullet box of Hornady 52 grain hpbt match bullets from them for $480.00, 8 cents per bullet or $8.00 per 100. Using those bullets I shot a 12 round 1" group at 100 yards with one called flyer. Had I not made that bad shot the group would have measured just 1/2" for eleven rounds.

8 cent 52 grain Hornady
3.5 cents primer
8 cents for powder - 22.3 grains of LT-32
3.5 cents brass case

.23 cents per round when using twice fired brass. 26.5 cents per round using once fired. That works out to $4.60 or $5.30 per box of 20 for custom loaded match ammo tuned for your rifle. This is labor intensive, I reload this time of year mainly because of the weather in Michigan. I can easily load thousands of rounds December through March and shoot all I like April through November. A lot of my equipment is over thirty years old and still works like new. In my lifetime I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds.

I could never afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't reload. The idea that I'm saving money is ridiculous. I spend all sorts of it. The difference is I get a lot more for every dollar that I spend.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
For plinking, no. Bulk is to cheap to pass up. After my time, it is not worth reloading.

For match, yes. I save 40 cpr.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not counting the brass, I can reload for 13.5 cents a round.  That's with Hornady 55 gr sp, H335 and Winchester primers.

The initial investment is considerable, but the long term savings is also considerable.

I still reload on a single stage press that I've had for over twenty years.  It will take on average about 1 minute per round.
View Quote
I think you mean 17.5 cpr
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
While I can't tell you exactly when, there should be an ROI at some point. If you subtract the equipment costs and assume a stash of once-fired (or new), the costs are then nominal. Bulk powder and 55gr bullets help make .223 one of the cheapest to reload for.

How much is your time worth?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
It's worth it to me.
Wolf Gold 55grain FMJ 4 cents.
25 Grains Acc 2230 6 Cents
CCI Primer 3 Cents
Range Pickup Brass Free.
So that's 13 Cents per round by my math.

And I enjoy reloading so it's totally worth it to me!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot depends on how much you shoot and what kind of shooting you do. If you shoot a lot and enjoy mag dumps or if you shoot competition it might be worth it. I did the math and for my kind of sport shooting SGAmmo is easily the answer. There are also those who consider it part of the sport and simply enjoy reloading.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
At several points in history, .223 or 5.56 ammo became very cost prohibitive and hard to find.  Having a reloader and skills alone were not enough.  At those time points, reloading dies became scarce, powder, and primers too.  It is easier to stockpile components and build high quality ammo in an economic manner when loaded ammo becomes scarce.   It actually got me into reloading rifle ammo after decades of loading pistol ammo.  

Do it. 

Also consider that if you buy the right equipment, it can usually be sold for the purchase price or more, essentially you use it rent free for the time you are loading ammo.  This may take a few years to play out, but time does fly. 

Loading cheap plinking ammo below market price with greater accuracy is part of MAGA!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#19]
90% of what I do is reload, I purchased a Lee kit for $119.00, a couple of dies and have been loading, it cuts my costs down quite a bit, it is about $0.13 cents to reload as opposed to $0.30 to purchase new ammo, so it pays off for me, if you have the space and time to devote to it, there is no reason to not do it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes it is, you just have to spend money upfront on equipment.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
With the case how much is the cost per round?
View Quote

Hard to say.  You keep using the cases over and over, trimming them back (they stretch).  They eventually get brittle and split at the neck.  You can get 6-10 reloads before that happens, depending on how mild or hot the load is.  You can stretch case life by re-annealing (heating) the case shoulder and neck, but I don't do tbat.

I use my once fired M855 LC cases for most reloading.  I use Lapua Match cases for my precision loads.

I'm reloading about a dozen different rifle and pistol calibers, so cost of equipment is spread out.  Initial investment gets recouped quick if you shoot a lot.  I've never looked at it as a way to save money over bulk plinking ammo, but rather a way to make better ammo with the hunting or target or tactical bullets I want to shoot.  If you have a stockpile of components it also lets you keep shooting if factory ammo gets scarce or spikes in price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I reload my plinking and precision ammo. Have had my XL650 since the early '90s. Its paid for itself many times over.

Brass and bullets are pretty easy to get fairly cheap on the Facebook reloading groups.  I've been getting once fired 5.56 for around $45 per 1000 if you look hard enough. Some of those guys get it by the 100's of 1000's for resale.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd have to disagree with this.

Match or precision, no question.

BUT

"plinking" ammo - Yes, you can get .223/5.56mm ammo for less than $0.25, but it's Tula or Wolf mediocre quality stuff.  With a little care and attention to detail, you can be making better quality, and more accurate, stuff for the same price.

I guess it depends on what you feel is the minimum acceptable accuracy out of your "plinking" ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I kind of want to start reloading ammo but I'm not sure what the cost would be and if it would be worth it financially. Thoughts?
View Quote

In my opinion, no.  If you're talking match ammo, it is certainly worth it - as FGMM is in the buck-a-round range.  Since blasting ammo is running ~30cpr, its not.  You can reload for maybe half of that, but then the intangibles kick in... like 223 SUCKS to reload - everything is soooooo teeny.  Maybe if you go whole hog and get a progressive press, but loading 223 with a single stage blows.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I am the same way, love it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll post this excerpt I just entered on another thread about 5.56/.223 barrel quality, accuracy, and ammo.  Reloading can bring a whole other level of knowledge and performance about your weapon in just about any rifle caliber.

The reloading element may allow you to achieve much better results, sometimes even to a surprising degree. I've been putzing with bullets from 55g to 75g for my 5.56/.223 guns for a bit now with various powders and amounts while using a chrono and target comparison. For my guns I came upon a 68g HPBT using a given amount of Varget that shoots extremely well across all my 5.56/.223 semiautos in 9.25, 10.5, 11.5, 14.5, 16, 18, 20, and 24 inch barrels. Frankly I'm a little shocked that this particular load does as well as it does across so many varied weapons. Now, that's not to say I haven't found a bullet/load to perform in one of these specific guns to a higher level. As an example, my 5.56 Tavor likes the 75g bullet/load a little better for 100 yard accuracy even though I'm sure the gun was more optimized for 55-62g stuff as designed. Still...it's pretty neat that when you reload you can come up with a darned good all-around bullet that will work across a wide range of weapons...but it takes a fair amount of testing to get there most of the time...but that can be half the fun.

On the high dollar barrel pursuit?...nothing wrong with that. However, while doing this reloading effort with 5.56/.223 ammo, I found some amazing results with some pretty cheap barrels. As some others here have already stated, you'll probably get ahead better with good ammo than with a very expensive barrel...at least a cheap barrel that's within some level of reason, of course. My 20" AR15 that I use as my test mule for chrono and target testing most of the time is a $140 416R SS 1:8 barrel setup. It's a 1 MOA gun with the right ammo. I was highly disappointed with this barrel when I first sighted in the gun with 55g XM193 Federal American Eagle. I got 2-4 MOA with no real consistency in 5-shot groups. As soon as I started using it for chrono/target testing for my reloads...20" barrels are usually the standard length for AR15 reloading data...it was very apparent that it liked higher quality, heavier bullets. I was almost ready to chuck this barrel for nothing other than chrono comparisons to reloading manual data. The lesson learned...don't toss your barrel because of 55g FMJ bulk ammo performance...unless...that's all you will ever shoot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Tula and Wolf ammo uses a bi-metal bullets that burns though barrel life at twice the speed of common USA lead core copper jacket types. Anyone buying that crap thinking they are saving money will end up buying a new barrel in the process. An AR-15 barrel can easily survive 10,000+ rounds of M193 or M855 manufactured in the United States or by one of out NATO allies. Most endurance testing with Tula/Wolf smokes barrels between 4000 to 5000 rounds fired.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Reloading .223 does not save money if you factor in the cost of equipment and account for the time it takes. Leaving out the cost of the equipment and writing off the time is not honest math for a strictly financial analysis.

Very accurate factory ammo can be had for $.40-.60 per round (American Eagle 50 grain varmint tips, Blacks Hills re-manufactured 75 grain match ammo, ADI, Privi match, etc.) . My materials cost for my best handloads are right about $.40-.60 (77 grain tipped Matchkings push $.40 shipped for just the bullet.). It's break-even for me on materials. It's a loss after you factor in equipment and time.

I reload when I can squeeze more accuracy out of my rifles than I can with any factory ammo. I've got one rifle that I have a load for that shoots a little over 1 moa. This rifle won't shoot any factory load inside of 2 moa. I always keep some of these loads around for when I need accuracy out of that rifle. I have a precision AR that I can load short-range (200 yards and in) loads for that do about .3 moa better than any factory load I've found. I've yet to materially beat Black Hills with my handloads for medium range (600 yards), so I buy Black Hills for that.

Reloading is a great way to learn more about shooting and your rifles. I would encourage anyone to get a minimalist set-up and try it. But don't do it to save money.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I say roll your own.  Even the using cheap pulled bullets (that have pull marks on them) I bought in the 2012 panic my reloads held slightly better groups than American Eagle 223 type ammo.

I am now at about $175/k with free brass using 55gr Hornady.  I am able to pick up at least several hundred rounds of 1x fired 223 every time I hit the range.  I only use 1x for 3gun matches and training classes.

For plinking I use whatever that holds a primer and isn't damaged.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tula and Wolf ammo uses a bi-metal bullets that burns though barrel life at twice the speed of common USA lead core copper jacket types. Anyone buying that crap thinking they are saving money will end up buying a new barrel in the process. An AR-15 barrel can easily survive 10,000+ rounds of M193 or M855 manufactured in the United States or by one of out NATO allies. Most endurance testing with Tula/Wolf smokes barrels between 4000 to 5000 rounds fired.
View Quote

And if you do the math, you're still saving a shit ton of money by shooting bi-metal and replacing your rack grade barrel more often. Bi-metal steel case ammo saves you about $.10 per round. You get a "free" rack grade barrel every 1,500 rounds with your ammo cost savings. At a 5,000 round barrel life differential, you've paid for three barrels by shooting bi-metal steel case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#31]
If you use it as a starting point for other calibers you will end up saving money a lot quicker. For example, green box Remington 06, 308, 270, 243, etc etc are right around $1 a round. You can load a much better round for right around half that probably less. The return on .223 is a lot longer because you are only saving .10 or so a round.

For those saying what is your time worth I usually respond what do you get paid to watch TV at night? Are you going to be reloading instead of working? All my time reloading is at night or on my off days when I don't  have anything else important going on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#32]
With prices so low I've started buying plinking ammo. I still reload hunting/precision ammo. You can same a good bit on premium ammo if you buy projectiles in bulk from some vendors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Being retired, I can sit and reload all day long and it does not really cost me all that much, in fact, I come out a head because I still get a retirement check every single month, so it is like getting paid to do it!

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
~
For those saying what is your time worth I usually respond what do you get paid to watch TV at night? Are you going to be reloading instead of working? All my time reloading is at night or on my off days when I don't  have anything else important going on.
View Quote

+1

How many rounds can you buy for one hour of the wages earned at your place of employment ?

How many rounds can you reload for the the same one hour of wages earned at your place of employment ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Worth is an opinion. I still buy m193 equivalent ammo. If I'm going to reload, it'll be "match" quality or at least very consistent. Takes no more time to load highly accurate ammo than it does standard loads.

I also have the components to reload every caliber I own, nobody controls availability but me. I remember a couple years ago after Sandy Hook, you couldn't find a loaded round of most anything of service caliber use. I never missed a beat or range session. I also cast and have casting stuff for the same reason. Stocked up on powder, primers and brass and I'm set. Survival in a drought requires preparations before it starts.

fwiw, my m193 equivalent is much more accurate than any I've ever bought.

I don't actually enjoy reloading all that much, it requires work and some days that's exactly what it feels like. Simply a means to an end.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How many rounds can you reload for the the same one hour of wages earned at your place of employment ?
View Quote

This argument would assume that you take time off of work to reload.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#37]
If you like to actually shoot your guns and not just hit the range once ever couple months then it is well worth the investment. I reload a lot of different calibers for both my pistols and rifles. Reloading has without a doubt paid for my initial investment and now I can shoot quality ammo for half the price you pay for cheap bulk. As for the time investment, I love to reload and will choose that over television every time as others have stated. There is also a sense of pride and accomplishment in being able to manufacture your own ammo!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:38:31 AM EDT
[#38]
If you don't cheap out on brass prep and cleaning stuff - in other words, you get stuff that's fast and easy to use, even though it costs 2-5x as much- you can save a lot of money on precision ammo with nice projectiles.   You have to match your equipment to your level of patience and available time.    

You will have to put in a decent chunk of money up front to stock up on components.   If you run out of your particular powders and projectiles and can't get any, you are SOL and will have to spend time and money working up a new load.   I had to have my on-hand powders last me for years when supplies got unreliable.

You will not save as much on plinking ammo, but your plinking ammo will shoot much, much better than cheap factory ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

This argument would assume that you take time off of work to reload.  
View Quote

No, not an argument but since we are talking about it

Aan example of another way to break the costs down. You can scale it to match your wages and circumstances.

Lets use a student clearing $10 an hour flipping burgers part time and shopping at Cabelas.
I know we can do better than Cabelas for ammo and components but we'll just use their web prices only for making the point.

$10 an hour breaks down to .16 per minute.  A box of Federal American eagle 5.56 on Cabelas website is $9.00  
That breaks down to $0.45 per round or just under 3 minutes asking if you want fries with that to earn each round or it equates to earning 22.2 rounds per hour or 45 hours worked per 1k rounds.  

BLC2, Remington 55 FMJs and primers from Cabelas make it possible for our burger flipper to re load his empty's for .24 a round.

That breaks down to 1.4 minutes earning each round or 41.67 rounds per hour or 24 hours worked per 1k rounds.

Obviously there is time involved and our wage earner is not getting paid to load those empty cases. It is IMHO a better use of spare time than watching movies or playing COD.

The equipment is, in all practicality, impossible to break down.  We would need to know how elaborate or simple the set up is and how many rounds will be run through it. Also how much of it was purchased new, used or bartered for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you don't cheap out on brass prep and cleaning stuff - in other words, you get stuff that's fast and easy to use, even though it costs 2-5x as much- you can save a lot of money on precision ammo with nice projectiles.   You have to match your equipment to your level of patience and available time.    

You will have to put in a decent chunk of money up front to stock up on components.   If you run out of your particular powders and projectiles and can't get any, you are SOL and will have to spend time and money working up a new load.   I had to have my on-hand powders last me for years when supplies got unreliable.

You will not save as much on plinking ammo, but your plinking ammo will shoot much, much better than cheap factory ammo. in fact you won't save any money at all but you will shoot more on the same budget...a lot more.
View Quote

I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#41]
To save money? Absolutely not.

For other goals, sure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I reload 223's, but I  already had the equipment for other rounds. IMHO, I would not buy equipment for loading plinkers, and I wouldn't reload bulk ammo on a single stage press either. 1000 rounds takes long enough on a progressive if you're going to clean the brass.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1

How many rounds can you buy for one hour of the wages earned at your place of employment ?

View Quote

Uh, its a hobby.  It's what I choose to do for fun, recreation, creativity to make something with my own hands, and tailored to my particular rifles and their use.

It's what I do to get away from work.  If you're looking at it as work -- you are working too much and need a hobby.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And if you do the math, you're still saving a shit ton of money by shooting bi-metal and replacing your rack grade barrel more often. Bi-metal steel case ammo saves you about $.10 per round. You get a "free" rack grade barrel every 1,500 rounds with your ammo cost savings. At a 5,000 round barrel life differential, you've paid for three barrels by shooting bi-metal steel case.
View Quote

Your math is a little off...

You can reload copper jackets for the price of bi-metal Tula, your barrel last longer and the ammo costs the same....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#45]
i save very little loading .223 when a case of Wolf Gold is under $300.  

I save a lot of money reloading 9mm and 45ACP .  

People seem to think the savings comes from reloading rifle rounds but  I found this to not be the case.  I'm paying 6 bucks per 50 rounds of plated 230 gr RN rounds that you could not tell apart from factory rounds.  Closer to 5 bucks for 9mm.  
If you're going to shoot often, reloading pistol rounds saves you a lot of money over the long haul.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Reloading is my hobby and shooting is my rush.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
At several points in history, .223 or 5.56 ammo became very cost prohibitive and hard to find.  Having a reloader and skills alone were not enough.  At those time points, reloading dies became scarce, powder, and primers too.  It is easier to stockpile components and build high quality ammo in an economic manner when loaded ammo becomes scarce.   It actually got me into reloading rifle ammo after decades of loading pistol ammo.  
View Quote

YUUUGE +1.

Back in the mix-2000s I managed to buy a huge quantity of American Eagle 55gr FMJ for about $150/k. Once it was all consumed, I started reloading as it was more cost effective than factory ammo (I will NOT use Wolf/Tula). When FBHO got elected, ammo could not be had at any price, but I was OK because I was sitting on a stockpile of reloading components. Had I not made the fortuitous decision to set up for reloading 5.56 ammo, my rifles would have sat idle for perhaps all of 2009 and into 2010.

In terms of cost, I am loading 5.56 55gr FMJ with quality Hornady bullets (shoots close to 1MOA) for around $180/k - cheaper, more accurate and more reliable than Wolf/Tula, and 100% legal for at any range or match I want to attend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I think it is worth it if you can be patient and purchase things at the right time at the right price in bulk.

6000 case of hornady 55g is almost $500 right now. Get it down below $400 and you stock up. Less than $.06 cpr

Primers have been up lately but if you can get them shipped (hazmat included) to your house for under $.03 cpr, stock up.

Powder is very expensive lately. Different charge weights also come into play. I do the math and find the cost per grain and multiply by average charge to get a number.

I settled on H335 and am very happy. I bought as much as I could afford all at once to save on hazmat.

I have never paid for a 556/223 case. Range pickups and friends have been my supplier for as long as I have been reloading.

The above items make my 223 reloads about $.16 CPR. Not the absolute best but I am happy with it because I can go out and purchase premium bullets and change my charge weight and shoot smaller groups, longer ranges or kill bigger critters for a few pennies more per round.

Time is difficult to quantify. I have been timing my reloading and I am thinking of starting a thread on it soon. I was able to reload 500 223 blasting rounds in 1 hour and 42 minutes on a single stage press using fully prepped and primed brass. That equates to just over 12 seconds per round.

I haven't figured out the time it takes to prep the brass. But, sizing each case, trimming, reaming primer pockets (if needed) and priming equates to at least 3X the time to load the ammo I stated above.

Reloading ammo keeps me from drinking too much. Makes me stay sober longer and I feel accomplished. It is very much worth it to me. Plus, adding a new caliber is just a set of dies away...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#49]
It's a money pit.

I've never spent so much money trying to save it.

That said, your time has to be free, and space available.

It's nice to be able to make whatever you need without being on any state ammunition database and taylor your loads.

If I can buy a 1K case of .223 for $250.00 without spending one minute making it, I would.

What is your time and space worth?

What are your requirements/shooting applications?

Speed cost money, tools, equipment, componets cost money.

The better and/faster the equipment the higher the cost.

Keep it simple and cheap works at the expense of time and quality product.

In the end it all depends.

Think of it as a hobby only.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top