Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 1:54:25 AM EDT
Sorry this isn't a better pic but phone wouldn't focus well.

Anyway, these are 5.56 cases once fired in my own AR. There are these little nicks in several places around the neck. Given the pattern and spacing I'm assuming it's probably something to do with hitting the lugs on extraction. Can anyone say for sure?

I'm just starting to reload this caliber and wondering if this is an issue? Is there a way to tame this?

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually those look pretty good from what my AR spits out. I am about 10% with big dents on the brass that I just look at and throw away. Those scratches I would reload on the lower range of the charge. They look like scratches instead of totally dented.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are dings from the sharp edge of the barrel extension as the neck flips to the right (just as it clears the chamber) and strikes the extension while held by the extractor and pushed right by the ejector.

Some people will polish these sharp edges slightly to help extend brass life when reloading, and some will change ejector tension as well.

They are dents, but they are very little concern, and I would reload them without question of powder charge.  If brass is unsafe at ANY pressure/charge level, it is unsafe period.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually those look pretty good from what my AR spits out. I am about 10% with big dents on the brass that I just look at and throw away. Those scratches I would reload on the lower range of the charge. They look like scratches instead of totally dented.
View Quote

Those are unsized and yes maybe more a scratch. Finger nail catches. Some look a bit worse but after sizing and wet tumbling they aren't quite as noticeable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those are unsized and yes maybe more a scratch. Finger nail catches. Some look a bit worse but after sizing and wet tumbling they aren't quite as noticeable.
View Quote

See above post and you are good. Like I said better that the ones I reject when reloading.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Drop a case in the chamber, close the bolt, then slowly extract. You'll see the ejector flick it outwards as soon as it exits the mouth of the chamber and smack the 2-3 o'clock lugs. If it bugs you, look at Part 3 in here: Hellbender's guide to ultimate AR15 or AR10.

Ejector spring tension is usually adjusted to change the direction of case flight so as to not hit your neighbor on the firing line. A smaller ding is a happy coincidence.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Very often there are 2 marks with light scratches. If you had these you probably would have figured it out yourself when you compare the spacing and the locking lugs.

You will probably see single dents at some time on the case body too. These are caused by the casing hitting the case deflector. Of course if you have a slick side you won't get these.

Motor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top