Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2017 8:52:03 PM EDT
I have seen some vendors selling these and the price seemed too good to true.  They are not once fired, they are the federal aluminum rounds which have been pulled and sold as primed cases.  

A little bit of lube and minimal flare?  I have an M-Die type stepped funnel so I should be able to expand them the bare minimum.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've loaded several hundred aluminum cases with zero issues; no lube needed and yes, minimal flare.

Don't load them at the upper end of the powder charge range unless you have data for aluminum cases and lightly taper crimp.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've loaded several hundred aluminum cases with zero issues; no lube needed and yes, minimal flare.

Don't load them at the upper end of the powder charge range unless you have data for aluminum cases and lightly taper crimp.
View Quote

These will used exclusively for powder puff competition loads at events where I don't feel like, or can't because of the venue, collect spent brass.  Thanks for the info I can't wait to try these out.  Cost was only a little more than the primers would be alone
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Given the prices for 9mm brass, I really don't see any advantages to using aluminum unless they were free.

Is there an advantage?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Given the prices for 9mm brass, I really don't see any advantages to using aluminum unless they were free.

Is there an advantage?
View Quote

They pretty much are free. Think of it as buying primers, but the primers come already installed in the brass (aluminum) for free
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the Lee universal neck expanding die to flare the cases instead of the regular expanding die, works great.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/140461/lee-universal-neck-expanding-die
  Be sure to inspect the cases with a bright flashlight before adding powder. About 10% have a little powder residue that removes easily with a q tip or small screwdriver.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I don't even bother to flair. They have had a bullet pulled out and a new bullet slides right in for me. No shaving or anything and the tension is fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, I don't even bother to flair. They have had a bullet pulled out and a new bullet slides right in for me. No shaving or anything and the tension is fine.
View Quote

What bullet is that with? Plated, jacketed, lead?

Might pick sone of these up as I'm nearing the point where I need SP primers and if the price difference with shipping is negligible I may give them a shot.

Also, just to confirm, were either of you charged HAZMAT fee for the primed brass. I've never bought any myself, but generally understood that a HAZMAT fee wasn't charged for primed brass.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Also, just to confirm, were either of you charged HAZMAT fee for the primed brass. I've never bought any myself, but generally understood that a HAZMAT fee wasn't charged for primed brass.

Thanks
View Quote

Shipping was free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top