Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 8:51:30 PM EDT
Swedish blanks If one were to pull these wood bullets, dump out the powder, and re charge them, is there any reason to think there would be any complications? Do you think the primer would ignite a standard powder charge? Is the brass weaker than regular brass, at least for one load? We have some 6.5 bullets laying about, and these could make for some fun plinking. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I FO'd on the blanks. I am now in the market for cheap 6.5 caliber bullets!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's as tarnished as description says, you should dry tumble it for a bit. I had to do that with B grade 303 ammo a couple years ago. Else it wouldn't chamber.

I normally jump on 6.5 swede stuff. But...
It's $105 to ship to TX. meh..

I rarely shoot my old swede guns.. and don't want to run corrosive primers in my Tikka or Ruger. Good luck if you buy it. let us know how it runs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's as tarnished as description says, you should dry tumble it for a bit. I had to do that with B grade 303 ammo a couple years ago. Else it wouldn't chamber.

I normally jump on 6.5 swede stuff. But...
It's $105 to ship to TX. meh..

I rarely shoot my old swede guns.. and don't want to run corrosive primers in my Tikka or Ruger. Good luck if you buy it. let us know how it runs.
View Quote
I certainly will. Ordered them last night. We have an AG 42b rifle. If these are corrosive, would you recommend firing them through it?

ETA our Swedish Mauser will be the primary gun with which we use this. Just wondering if the Ljungman could also get some love.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The issue in knowing the primers are corrosive, is that you must clean the rifle that day. Just like a black powder gun.
View Quote
Is there a way to find out if the primers are corrosive without shooting them through a rifle and watching for rust?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5A0aheehk4
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5A0aheehk4
View Quote
Domo Arigato.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Is neck sizing necessary if I pull the wood bullets?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is neck sizing necessary if I pull the wood bullets?
View Quote

Depends on two things:
1. Getting enough neck tension
2. are they chambering?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Depends on your pulling method and the cases.

If it were me, I would pull bullets by running case up into Rockchucker (no die installed) grab bullet with pliers and lower handle, pulling the bullet.

Then see if you can hand insert a normal .264 bullet into case neck. If you can't, then charge a case and seat bullet.

Did bullet seat normally, or go in too easy?

Then you will know before doing the rest of the batch.
View Quote
I have a hornady cam lock bullet puller. Should I get a .264 collet, or one smaller? Or do you think the pliers would be better anyway?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If your going to load 6.5, then get the collet.

Try the plier method at least once.

Don't know if a 6.5 collet will compress enough to pull a wood bullet.

Remember to seat bullet slightly deeper to break the crimp before pulling bullet if they don't come out easily.
View Quote
Thanks. I will. And I will report back with my findings when I get into this project a little further.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In case you can't tell, I find your thread interesting. So in for updates.

eta, well I had to check. 4800 shipping was going to be $105.
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In case you can't tell, I find your thread interesting. So in for updates.

eta, well I had to check. 4800 shipping was going to be $105.
View Quote
I tried to swallow my vomit when it came to the shipping. I just pretended that the price was 240 bucks outright. Still 5 cents per case, barely more than a primer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a very heavy crimp on these. In all honesty, you should probably run the neck thru your sizer just to clean it up. With that being said, boattail bullets will open the crimp up just fine.

I pull them with my cam-lock. You'll break or slip off about 1-in-10, so have a pair of vise-grips handy. The wood is hollow and very dry. They will snap off very easily.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a very heavy crimp on these. In all honesty, you should probably run the neck thru your sizer just to clean it up. With that being said, boattail bullets will open the crimp up just fine.

I pull them with my cam-lock. You'll break or slip off about 1-in-10, so have a pair of vise-grips handy. The wood is hollow and very dry. They will snap off very easily.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip. What size collet do you use, and where did you grip on the bullet?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tip. What size collet do you use, and where did you grip on the bullet?
View Quote
I use the 22cal collet and grip butted up against the thick part at the base and I cam it really tight and snap it out quick. Otherwise, you will have a problem with slippage.

I have also used the 6mm collet and grab the thick part just above the brass. It's harder to get on the mark this way since not much of the thick part is sticking out but it seems to work too.

There is a little tar/asphalt sealant on some/most of them. So far, all mine have been factory 070. Cali-Kid reports his are factory 586, so I don't know if those will have a sealant or not. Also 070 are not primer crimped, but 586 reportedly have a 3-point.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know if you guys are following the GD thread, but I'll copy my response here.

Well, I started pulling the wood bullets. I developed a system, using my press and a pair of pliers. 100 rounds took about 15 minutes.

I loaded up 5 test rounds with these cases, 34 grains of IMR 4064, and a 123 grain Nosler CC bullet. Functioned perfectly. This may be the greatest deal I've ever found in the world of reloading.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Deal Alert

There's a little bit of derp to sort through.

One of the interesting side effects to this project is that I am going to end up with something like 17 pounds of powder, which is reported to be very similar to Unique, per the guys on Gunboards and Castboolits. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try using it, but if I do, this blank ammo could pay for itself twice over just in powder savings.

I did try running a few of the blanks through our Mauser. The recoil is literally zero. When I fired into the fresh snow 10 yards away, there was no effect. I had to bring it in to 2 yards to see any holes poked in the snow. I'm not sure why they needed the blank adapter to shred the bullets. They seem to disintegrate all but instantly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice job. If there were more swede rifle owners, it would be sold by now. Debated it a bit but since I got a bunch of norma brass, it just wouldn't be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice job. If there were more swede rifle owners, it would be sold by now. Debated it a bit but since I got a bunch of norma brass, it just wouldn't be worth it.
View Quote
I look at it this way. Shipped to my door, they were a touch under 5 cents apiece for primed brass. If a primer is 3.5 cents, then I am putting away a lifetime supply of brass for 1.5 cents each. When I factor in getting 17 pounds of powder for free (maybe to be loaded into ammo, maybe other fun ways of disposing of gunpowder ). If you pick up the brass off the ground after you've shot it, you can probably sell them to a scrapper. Over 100 pounds of brass. This lot of ammo pays for itself several times over, in my opinion, particularly considering that I only have about 50 pieces of Swedish brass in the entire house. If I was very well stocked in Norma Boxer primed cases already, that might change my thoughts on it.

If you ever think you want to shoot your Swedes for cheap buy it. Primed cases will never be cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Deal Alert

There's a little bit of derp to sort through.

One of the interesting side effects to this project is that I am going to end up with something like 17 pounds of powder, which is reported to be very similar to Unique, per the guys on Gunboards and Castboolits. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try using it, but if I do, this blank ammo could pay for itself twice over just in powder savings.

I did try running a few of the blanks through our Mauser. The recoil is literally zero. When I fired into the fresh snow 10 yards away, there was no effect. I had to bring it in to 2 yards to see any holes poked in the snow. I'm not sure why they needed the blank adapter to shred the bullets. They seem to disintegrate all but instantly.
View Quote

I love the guys over on gunboards, but anytime they find a powder that they don't know what is, according to them, it's always "close to unique".

I have a feeling this powder is not going to be anywhere close to unique. The other two lots I have of it are certainly not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top