Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Dillon 650 with a casefeeder.

And don't look back
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks everyone for your input. Will probably be getting me a 650, but just wanted to check on here to see if there was something missing, or if I was making a stupid mistake
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for your input. Will probably be getting me a 650, but just wanted to check on here to see if there was something missing, or if I was making a stupid mistake
View Quote

I want one of those. Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The primer slide issue with the new Pro Chuckers has been fixed.
View Quote

Wish you were right.  Improved is the word, not fixed.  Fixed is when people quit breaking the slides, AND don't have primer kabooms.  Improved, which is where they are at now, is that they don't break as often.  Hollowed out version of the slide helped, (Bandaid), but its not a fix.

The way I understand it, the original Pro Chucker design parameter was to make the slide break, before an errant-positioned primer kaboomed.  Which is probably admirable, just not acceptable amongst the impatient.....especially when they do it over and over.  

Dillon chose not to worry about such things. What's a kaboom among friends.....have one and Dillon replaces everything that was mangled free .....well .... except your eyes, hands and ears.  O.P.  Right now I'd have to agree on the 650.  But wear eye, and ear protection as a matter of course.

I'd be wonderful if RCBS fixes the new presses where they don't EVER break.......or kaboom.  Then they'd have the best.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wish you were right.  Improved is the word, not fixed.  Fixed is when people quit breaking the slides, AND don't have primer kabooms.  Improved, which is where they are at now, is that they don't break as often.  Hollowed out version of the slide helped, (Bandaid), but its not a fix.

The way I understand it, the original Pro Chucker design parameter was to make the slide break, before an errant-positioned primer kaboomed.  Which is probably admirable, just not acceptable amongst the impatient.....especially when they do it over and over.  

Dillon chose not to worry about such things. What's a kaboom among friends.....have one and Dillon replaces everything that was mangled free .....well .... except your eyes, hands and ears.  O.P.  Right now I'd have to agree on the 650.  But wear eye, and ear protection as a matter of course.

I'd be wonderful if RCBS fixes the new presses where they don't EVER break.......or kaboom.  Then they'd have the best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused.  Are you saying outright that there's a rash of primer kabooms with the new RCBS progressives?  I know for a fact that your concern with Dillon presses and primer kaboom is overblown (said respectfully).
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm confused.  Are you saying outright that there's a rash of primer kabooms with the new RCBS progressives?  I know for a fact that your concern with Dillon presses and primer kaboom is overblown (said respectfully).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been no kabooms reported with RCBS presses (at least none I have seen). The primer slides work fine for me. It's a shame they keep selling boxed presses with the old slides. That has caused more pain than they probably counted on.

As stated, the Dillon 650 is really the only press with primer kaboom issues that I am aware of. I have had a kaboom on my 1050.. but it's not an "issue" because the entire primer tube doesn't ignite. Just the primer being loaded. (stupid small primer 45acp!). No damage to anything.

And yes, the 650 issues tend to be user related but when you engineer things, you have to account for some user error. Dillon didn't IMO. RCBS accounted for too much user error though since their primer slides were too sensitive.

At a normal consumer cost level, the Hornady slide system has the best of everything. It really works well when cleaned up. However (and this is a big however), I could never get primers seated deep enough (even with the "dime trick"). It would not take much for them to redesign that issue but they don't. Sad... so I sold it.

The 1050 primer system just rocks though. Adjustable depth.. fantastic. If Dillon put a system like that on a 650, it would be the bomb... instead of a bomb like it currently is. IMO...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, never said RCBS has a kaboom problem, they have a "trying to prevent a kaboom problem" problem.

The 650 Dillon is the most common offender, but not the only one.  Overblown?  Maybe, until you let your guard down and it happens to you.  Murphy happens in real life.  

One of the regulars at THR doesn't think its overblown.  Graphic 550 experience

At Calguns, another 550 one.......The gentleman who's hand is pictured below did that on a 550's tube.  Yes, it was his fault, no he doesn't think its a "overblown" problem.  From his own words, from Calguns,Nov 2, 2011, he said, "Yesterday afternoon I was converting my 550 from .223 to .38 to do a small batch in my living room. I had used my primer pick up tube to grab about fifty primers and had it in my left hand, placed it at the top of the 550 primer magazine, and with my right hand started to pull the pin. Kaboom!"

My point is only to warn reloaders that burying heads in the sand doesn't keep Murphy at bay, only knowing it can happen and being careful does.
Reloading isn't entirely danger-free.   Personally I think RCBS ought to get credit for trying to prevent the possibility......they only succeeded so far with APS.....and by and large the effort was only appreciated by those who bought the Pro 2000.  And on the Pro Chuckers?.....a broken plastic part is better than a broken person.  kudos to them that they care enough to try.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I should add that I haven't seen any hand damage from 650 kabooms........mostly just primer tube parts lodged in the ceiling....wear ear protection.

At Brian Enos's forum, Dillon responded to a 650 kaboom 11 years ago:

Posted January 17, 2006

We've seen primer magazine explosions in every type of machine we have ever made.

Federal primers, being softer require less encouragement than other brands, but all brands of primers have been known to go off, given the right encouragement. Primers are merely sheet brass, designed to be easily dented to ignite the priming compound.The most common cause seems to be an out of round primer, or a primer with the anvil seated too high, so that it snags. On the 650, the primer disc is rotated on the downstroke of the handle. If a primer is jammed between the bottom of the magazine and the top of the primer disc, the machine has enough mechanical leverage to apply sufficient force to ignite a primer.The steel magazine shield is meant to contain the blast; typically the aluminum magazine tube expands/ruptures, capturing most to all of the exploded primers. The plastic follower rod hits the ceiling, converting into a twisted black strand of spaghetti.

Please don't position florescent lights immeadiately over the machine. The broken lights are a much bigger mess to clean up.

If you blow up a primer system, please contact us for a warranty replacement primer system. Wear safety glasses just in case, but don't worry about setting off the powder in the measure. We have tried to, even leaving the lid off, and were'nt able to ignite the powder by exploding the primers. We have had customers set the powder on fire, but this involved unusual circumstances, such as filling the hopper, leaving the lid off, then taking a power disc to do car body work, pouring powder into the hopper, then spilling powder onto a hot room heater plugged in under the bench, or having the lid off a powder measure, having a hot lead melting pot adjacent to the loader, and having a can of pop tip into the lead melting pot, causing lead to splatter all over. If you leave the lid on the measure, you should be safe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a LNL w/ case feeder, load 40,45,38/357,223. I like it, I load 1-2k of each per year(roughly).

I have powder meters for each load/caliber to make switch overs faster. It works well, but there's just a few quirks that bug me, talked to Hornady about them and they're sending me new parts to see if it gets sorted out (case feeder pivot not rotating enough due to the plunger not seating properly).

Lately I've been eyeing a 650xl w/case feeder. Trying to decide if I should make the switch or not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:...KB's on the 650 are always op produced. ....
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The hand damage came from a primer pick up tube and it can happen on any machine!!!!

The problem is that primer dust can collect in the  tubes over time (as well as the machines primer tube), and why you have to keep the primer dust cleaned out of them!

Hence it was the primer dust in the tubes (primer pick up tube he was holding in his had to fill the machine's primer tube) that first ignited when the cotter pin was pulled to allow the primer to drop out of the primer tube and into the machines primer tube, that lead to the chain fire of the primers in the primer tubes next as they where dropping out of the primer pick up tube to the machines fill tube.  The machines tube has a blast shield on it, but since you are both holding the pick up tube with your hand, and right over the top of the machines tube, your still not shield from the Primers going off.

Simply, this is the reason that I love the RCBS APS primer system.  All the primers are on a plastic strip side by side, and regarding refilling the strip clips, it just too easy to throw them in the dish washer to pre-clean any primer dust off them if you are going to reuse them, or just buy new strips that are pre-loaded with primers isntead.  

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41h9xeeT9aL._SX425_.jpg

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/rcbs3x350.jpg
View Quote

How many primers fit on APS strip? It would be cool if more than 100.. else PITA. Would be great to have 1k strip like ammo belt feeding into my 1050.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, never said RCBS has a kaboom problem, they have a "trying to prevent a kaboom problem" problem.

The 650 Dillon is the most common offender, but not the only one.  Overblown?  Maybe, until you let your guard down and it happens to you.  Murphy happens in real life.  

One of the regulars at THR doesn't think its overblown.  Graphic 550 experience

At Calguns, another 550 one.......The gentleman who's hand is pictured below did that on a 550's tube.  Yes, it was his fault, no he doesn't think its a "overblown" problem.  From his own words, from Calguns,Nov 2, 2011, he said, "Yesterday afternoon I was converting my 550 from .223 to .38 to do a small batch in my living room. I had used my primer pick up tube to grab about fifty primers and had it in my left hand, placed it at the top of the 550 primer magazine, and with my right hand started to pull the pin. Kaboom!"

My point is only to warn reloaders that burying heads in the sand doesn't keep Murphy at bay, only knowing it can happen and being careful does.
Reloading isn't entirely danger-free.   Personally I think RCBS ought to get credit for trying to prevent the possibility......they only succeeded so far with APS.....and by and large the effort was only appreciated by those who bought the Pro 2000.  And on the Pro Chuckers?.....a broken plastic part is better than a broken person.  kudos to them that they care enough to try.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/31/rapyjuqa.jpg
View Quote

I don't think that folks are burying their heads in the sand, but rather you are overstating a statistically insignificant phenomenon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I really recommend the 650, I just set mine up this weekend next to a 550 I've had for near 10 years. So much easier, I got the case feeder but cheaped out with the mini-mr bullet feeder, and it still cranks out 9mm rounds super fast in comparison.  I went with the roller lever, ultramount, led lighting from inline fabrication and a roller cam upgrade off eBay, couldn't be happier (well, maybe 1050 would make me happier, but I'll do that next upgrade cycle). 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I started on a Dillon 650. Then bought a single stage for low production hunting rounds etc. I love it. Not hard to change out calibers once you get used to it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Missing the point,

Each strip holds 25 primers, but since they can be snapped together, it would be a matter of the suport ramp lenght for the strips to allow more strips to be clipped to together at time  instead.

On a RCBS 2000, you start with just one strip to begin with, and when the end of strip gets to the edge of the support ramp for it, you just clip another full strip to the end of the  strip in play and keep on going reloading.  Hence even if you only have a support ramp for 4 strips to be linked at one time, its the ability to have a shit ton of loaded strips pre-loaded and stored to bring into play instead (something that you don't do with primer pick up tube, and empty any you have loaded when you are down reloading instead).

after watching How to load the strips, skip to 7:45 to see how the strips chain up so you can just keep reloading (hell of lot faster that having to load a tube with a primer drop tube as well).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/wnfeTPZeOMQ

So say a 1050 was running APS strips, you could have a suport ramp for the strip any lenght you wanted, and work in this amount of strips when it time to added more primed strips.
View Quote

Thx for sharing.

No way I could stop every 25 rnds to snap on another. If you could make a long chain ahead of time, great. I use the FA vibraprime so I fill the press tube then have another 100 loaded in FA tube. Essentially, I run 200 with minimal pause. At 1500 rnds/hr, I go through 200 quick on 1050.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:...KB's on the 650 are always op produced. ....
View Quote

Absolutely true.....same goes for any tube full of primers, belonging to a blue, grey, green, or red progressive.  But the point is......ignoring the warnings may make you a statistic, insignificant, then why did Dillon (probably) Mike, warn against putting fluorescent lights above the primer system!.....  And I wonder.... how many have been so unlucky and never reported it......except during the warranty phone call.

Dano hasn't said anything so far I disagree with.  He's right on.  APS is safe and tubes aren't so much.  Even if I were to only cause a very loud bang and stick primer tube parts in the ceiling, my wife would still come unglued......and worry about my "safe" hobby.  That's was one reason I bought into the APS system when I went to a progressive......not to mention, that many years ago I quit "tubing" on my Rock Chucker, opting for the safer hand priming tools, after the publicity of a serious tube accident in the '70s on a Rock Chucker.  I don't remember the details, but someone got serious maiming injuries.  I don't think that unfortunate soul thought it was insignificant either.  That and other accidents gave us the "safety" outer sleeves Dillon and others have now.

I hope Dano is right and RCBS brings back APS or an improvement, but I doubt a APS comeback will happen. I'm with him, I don't like their new system so far.  They can do better.......they need to back up just a tad and look at some alternatives.......I think they will.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#23]
+1, Dillon 650
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Dillon 550B. I must say when you get use to it, get all your components in the right spot, and get in the zone, you can pump out some ammo pretty quick.

Almost as fast as a 650.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a LNL w/ case feeder, load 40,45,38/357,223. I like it, I load 1-2k of each per year(roughly).

I have powder meters for each load/caliber to make switch overs faster. It works well, but there's just a few quirks that bug me, talked to Hornady about them and they're sending me new parts to see if it gets sorted out (case feeder pivot not rotating enough due to the plunger not seating properly).

Lately I've been eyeing a 650xl w/case feeder. Trying to decide if I should make the switch or not.
View Quote

Been there, fixed that.  Shoot me a PM if your are interested in how I fixed it with a stud and delrin pivot block.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The 650, since it both runs right out of the box without needing a boat load of tweaks or mods (unlike a LNL), and comes with a electrical case feed hopper (unlike the RCBS unit, and which RCBS does not even sell one for the system).
View Quote

My LnL runs fine without mods. I just had to learn how to get it dialed in and adjusted properly.

Pick your poison. Both Hornady and Dillon will serve you well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My LnL runs fine without mods. I just had to learn how to get it dialed in and adjusted properly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 650, since it both runs right out of the box without needing a boat load of tweaks or mods (unlike a LNL), and comes with a electrical case feed hopper (unlike the RCBS unit, and which RCBS does not even sell one for the system).

Oh my God!!! You mean you are smart enough to adjust your dies and your power drop and you can adjust your LnL to run "fine".
ME TOO!!!
You can all ways tell when they are bad mouthing the Hornady that they have never ran one before.

Tone it done some, this is not GD, but a Technical Forum. 

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.

It's fine to disagree, but do so politely. dryflash3
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you have to understand why the Dillon runs better right out of the box better than the Hornady. Is the timing better on the Dillon than the Hornady? NO! The Hornady has two small detent balls that require finer adjustments than the Dillon that has only one large detent ball.
Now the down side of the large detent ball is power jumping out of the cases. A press that is not well timed will wear out faster than a press that is perfectly timed. This is why you all ways hear about Dillon folks sending their press to be rebuilt. Now Hornady has the same program, but you very seldom of hearing it used.
Now you brought up the fact that RCBS doesn't have an electric case feeder. Well neither does Lee, but both have tube feed case loader. Now if you notice Hornady, RCBS, and Lee all have a bullet feeder. The only one that doesn't is Dillon, and when asked when they were going to have one the exact answer was "NEVER"
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I would go with Dillon.  That said I have two 550B's and I have problems on both of them with the primer system.  Out of 100 rounds I will lose 2 or 3 primers due to primer system malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
System Message
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top