Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2017 9:05:57 AM EDT
Scored several thousand once-fired .223 cases (Remington Match, no crimps) and now that they're cleaned and deprimed I now need to further the prep process by resizing them.

So I'll need to purchase (my first) set of .223 dies and some case lube.

Welcome suggestions. I think I might go a bit better than Lee but not a rich man for Redding.

ETA: purpose of ammo is "Range Fun" (plinking) and SD training. Rifle is a PSA/Magpul/DSA/Anderson "budget build".
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your end game?
What kind of gun are you loading for?

For lube I recommend one shot or if you like diy there's a thread in this sub forum that tells you how to easily make your own lube for about a third of the price
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your end game?
What kind of gun are you loading for?

For lube I recommend one shot or if you like diy there's a thread in this sub forum that tells you how to easily make your own lube for about a third of the price
View Quote

Joe beat me to ask it...  What are you looking to do with your rifle?  Range fun or competitive shooting?  If you just want a fun range gun, I think that RCBS is the best balance of quality and price.  If you want to squeeze every ounce of precision out of your loads, I like the Redding Competition dies.  

For lube, I use Imperial Sizing Wax.  Not because its better than the rest.  It's just want I use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I use RCBS dies, and RCBS lube and case pad. I know its probably not the latest and greatest way to lube cases, but I've been using this method for over 30 years and never stuck a case (looking for somw wood to knock on!).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I know everybody here will bad mouth me on this but it has served me well for thousands of rounds
Lee dies and Hornady one shot lube
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a set of RCBS X dies. I have since gone back to using my Lee sizing die because 1) I found that I didn't need the extra clearance that the small base gets me and mostly 2) I got tired of drilling and tapping stuck cases to remove them from the die. The small base die is not forgiving when it comes to case lube. I still use the seating die but I crimp cases in a separate step so I don't know if I'm gaining anything there either. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Lee dies are more than adequate. Don't buy the small base dies. Regular full length sizing die is just fine.

RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Forster, Dillon are also great dies but cost more. They will all size your brass. Some have more adjustments or feature than others.

Redding is considered top of the line and they charge accordingly.

As for case lube there are several brands that work well. Imperial case lube, RCBS lube and Dillon. The Hornady case lube seems to polarize people. The general consensus is it does not work well. Basically you will have a stuck case from it, just a matter of when. The Dillon lube is a mix of Lanolin and Alcohol. Most here make it themselves.

I started out using a pad and RCBS lube which worked well. Since I switched to a progressive I started using the homemade case lube. One recipe for lube.

Link to thread discussing lube.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hornady dies with the straight line bullet seater and home made spray lube. Don't have the link on this computer for that thread.

Dillon or Franklin Arsenal if your buying commercial.
View Quote

Hornady dies are really nice and they will give you $25 worth of bullets for the cost of shipping. The 30 SPs I got from them shoot quite nicely in my Garand.

Lee dies are slightly cheaper, but with the better quality and free bullets the Hornadys are a better bargain.

http://m.hornady.com/assets/files/promos/2017-Get-Loaded-Redemption-Form.pdf
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#9]
For .223, I use a Redding FL sizer with a floating carbide expander and Imperial Wax for lube.

I also use a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater.

I only load small batches on a Co-Ax.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Purpose is "range fun/plinking". Rifle build is pretty budget.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Lee dies are excellent and great value.

If you want to step it up foward a few more dollars go Hornady.

Stay away from the American series.

Best bang for you buck with Hornady is thier custom grade series.

You get a box and thier excellent Sure-Loc die locking rings and there 100 free, less shipping cost, bullet give away.

I would also recommend the Lee FCD to compliment the set.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I use these ...........
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-X-Die-Small-Base-223/dp/B005KW7OLG
along with RCBS case lube.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Purpose is "range fun/plinking". Rifle build is pretty budget.
View Quote

For anything other than precision shooting, your dies are not a huge issue.  I like Hornady's dies, and their free bullets offer makes them even more attractive.  The straight line seating system, while not nearly as precise as the higher-end, benchrest class dies, it's pretty good and reduces issues with bullet positioning for seating.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW

The best lube is Imperial Die Wax.
If you must used a spray lube Dillon is good, and there are homemade versions using Lanolin and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol floating around.

Quality reloaded ammo occurs when the operator pays attention and sets up the dies correctly.  Lots of reloaders have turned excellent
reloaded ammo using all brands of dies.  The key is the operator!

That being said.
There are lots of options out there.

Personally, I would opt of the Redding or RCBS basic sets.  I would lean towards Redding as they have many upgrades available such as carbide expander balls and micrometer seater plugs.
Micrometer tops are available for Hornady, too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as case lube is concerned many case lube problems folks run into is due to either not following instructions on use of the particular lubricant, or they go from one lube to another without cleaning their dies.

Hornady's one-shot case lube generally works quite well with dies cleaned of other lubes, and if applied per manufacturer's instructions. After applying one-shot one must allow it to dry before sizing. Using one-shot gun cleaner and lube to thoroughly clean the sizing die will eliminate reactions between case lubes.

Though I prefer a lanolin lube for rifle. Hornady's one-shot properly used works great it's just much more expensive than the lanolin lube I make. I do use one-shot for my pistol cases. Light spray on the pistol cases and they size like butter through carbide dies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I use RCBS liquid lube, (not at home or I would look at bottle) it is basically a solvent, lanolin, and some alcohol I think. I throw my cases in a cigar box, shoot 5 shots in, shake around for 30 seconds, open 5 more shots, shake, use. No problems. I HATED the pad and gel crap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Have been using Lee for many years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Will likely go with Hornady dies this time but "custom grade" not the "American Series".
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Dillon case lube is great.   I'm sure the homemade stuff is similar.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a set of RCBS X dies. I have since gone back to using my Lee sizing die because 1) I found that I didn't need the extra clearance that the small base gets me and mostly 2) I got tired of drilling and tapping stuck cases to remove them from the die. The small base die is not forgiving when it comes to case lube. I still use the seating die but I crimp cases in a separate step so I don't know if I'm gaining anything there either. 
View Quote

Seems to me that the mistake you made was buying "small base" X-Dies. You do realize they make them in standard full length sizing too. I use standard full length sizing X-Dies in 3 different calibers and recommend then to anyone who doesn't love to trim casings.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
John I use RCBS small base dies set for 223 , If you want to try before you buy  send a IM and we set up a time.   Mike
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I use Hornady dies, and the home made lanolin/alcohol case lube.

Don't forget to trim your brass after sizing!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I started out using rcbs gel and pad many many moons ago.. I tried dillon spray, one shot... I finally got some Imperial wax..  Ill never go to anything else Imperial wax is it for me.

Dies the Lee will work well for plinking etc.. but as people as pointed out the Redding dies are the cats meow... if your looking for the best.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I started out using rcbs gel and pad many many moons ago.. I tried dillon spray, one shot... I finally got some Imperial wax..  Ill never go to anything else Imperial wax is it for me.

Dies the Lee will work well for plinking etc.. but as people as pointed out the Redding dies are the cats meow... if your looking for the best.
View Quote

I see many recommendations for the Imperial sizing wax lube. But when processing thousands of cases in the volume reloading operation the homemade lanolin lube works best for me. I have sized over 5000 cases and have never had a stuck case as long as I let the lube completely dry first.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been digging the Ballistic Tools lube lately. So far no problems forming some 300 BLK and resizing a 1K+ batch of 5.56.
Water based goodness
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I use basic Lee set on a 1050 for range amno, which work fine.  I do use the Dillon Carbide size/trim die with the RT-1500 trimmer. I've stuck a case or two in the Lee's with One-Shot so now use Dillon lube for bottleneck cases now, may try the home-made version when my current supply runs out.  I still use one shot for strait-wall pistol brass with no issues though.  For match or precision stuff I'll be using Forster BenchRest/Micrometer dies on a COAX.

I recently picked up an inline "oiler" for the Dillon CF tube - might be a gimmick but figured it was worth trying.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Scored several thousand once-fired .223 cases (Remington Match, no crimps) and now that they're cleaned and deprimed I now need to further the prep process by resizing them.

So I'll need to purchase (my first) set of .223 dies and some case lube.

Welcome suggestions. I think I might go a bit better than Lee but not a rich man for Redding.

ETA: purpose of ammo is "Range Fun" (plinking) and SD training. Rifle is a PSA/Magpul/DSA/Anderson "budget build".
View Quote

I'm using RCBS X-dies and the much maligned Hornady One Shot case lube. The key to One Shot is getting a good even coating. It won't contaminate powder so you can leave it on during loading. I remove it by committing yet another No No and tumbling live ammo for a few minutes.

The X-die, used correctly, is supposed to limit case growth so that trimming is not needed after the first initial trim. So far it has worked for me as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#29]
R

C

B

S

If not for the great products they make, for the impeccable customer service.  Twice over the years I've called to BUY replacement parts I've broken.  One was even the shot cup finger ring for my shotshell reloader my puppy chewed up.  

They refused to charge me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I have Hornady, RCBS, and Redding .223 die sets. Would recommend all 3. I like Hornady's seater die with the sliding alignment sleeve to guide your bullets straighter into the case. Redding is the best finished and is top of the line. For lube I recommend Dillon Case Lube or make your own from lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. I use my RCBS lube pad, spray a shot of Dillon on the pad and roll cases to apply lube. I highly recommend a nylon neck brush to apply lube to the inside of the neck. Don't buy small based, you won't need it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Hornady 'Custom Grade' dies and Hornady One Shot lube.  I also have an RCBS small base die set, but after trying both I'll be selling the RCBS set.

I'm nearing the end of my second can of one shot and will try DIY lube since I have the ingredients on hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I forgot to mention Hornady's customer service, it's great.  If you have questions/issues they spend time with you.

I called to buy some replacement parts that my friend broke, and was honest that he broke them they weren't defective.  No problems, free parts sent.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I have experience with all the brands customer service departments. They all are stellar and have sent parts I broke to me for free.

Lee is great for plinking rounds up to good quality rounds.

RCBS, Hornady and Redding are all a little nicer than Lee. Each of these brands has a line of higher quality dies for benchrest and match grade ammo.

I am switching over to Redding because I like their quality and because I grew up in the town that they are located. I like to support my hometown.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#34]
For FL sizing I use a Redding Type S FL die. That way I decide how much the neck is sized, not the die manufacturer. That, along with a Lyman floating carbide expander gets me perfect neck tension.

The Hornady floating seater is also important. That is the good thing about having 5 stations on a progressive. You can have total control of the processes.

ETA:

My AP looks like a yard sale on top. Redding, Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS(crimp) all get in on the action!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#35]
If I missed it, did you mention what press you have?

If you have a progressive with at least 4 stations then you can size, charge, seat and crimp all in separate stations.

I have a Dillon 550B and I love their .223 dies since they come with a separate crimp die.

You can get similar results with other 2 dies sets by adding a Lee FCD for the final crimp and back the crimp ring off on the seater die.

I have Redding, Dillon, Hornady and Lee Dies and all work well.  The Redding and Dillon seem to be the best machined IMO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Dies, meh, get whatever.  I use Lee dies. 

I like Lee lube, its wax, put it on, size right away OR let it dry.  When dry its non-tacky, a plus.
It also does not affect powder at all.

A friend told me once its the same stuff as 'cable pulling lube' that you can buy in bulk at like homedepot for cheap.
I dunno I never looked, a 4oz tube lasts a long time for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
John I use RCBS small base dies set for 223 , If you want to try before you buy  send a IM and we set up a time.   Mike
View Quote

I sent you an IM about 2 weeks ago and have not received any response.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I use Lee dies but not a huge fan.

Here is one of a few bad dies I've had from Lee.  To be fair, they did replace it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I use Hornady dies and 1 shot.

No complaints about either and the free bullets are a nice bonus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top