Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 10:30:50 PM EDT
My Lyman 2200 motor started sounding like it's on it's death roll, and barely moving the media around, so now I need a new tumbler.  It's worked well for me, but seeing everyone else's options I wonder if it's worth stepping into ultrasonic, or wet tumbling.  I spill a fair amount of media, forget to put the plug back into the auto flow spout, so I can only imagine if I add water to the option how bad I might actually make a mess of my basement.

How much advantage is wet tumbling in time versus crushed walnut in a vibratory?

edit to add a "m" to tubler. dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My highly used, at least ten year old, large size Dillon tumbler died last month.  Tumbling loaded pistol ammunition may have had something to do with it.

Dillon replaced it for a little over $100 including shipping.

Just sayin'.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have considered wet tumbling but I don't have much free time for reloading as it is. Adding a time consuming process like wet tumbling and drying isn't really worth it for me.

Super shiny cases only make you feel good. They really don't help with accuracy or anything. I guess the argument could be made that they are easier to spot cracks and such.

I would say decide for yourself if you really want the additional work involved with making bling or you just want to clean cases enough for loading.

Either way you will need a dry tumbler. As some have said removing case lube is best done with a dry tumbler. I also have tumbled bullets, loaded rounds and even dies.

I would buy either the Dillon or the big Lyman. I cheaped out and bought a small Cabelas tumbler. I am wanting a bigger unit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have considered wet tumbling but I don't have much free time for reloading as it is. Adding a time consuming process like wet tumbling and drying isn't really worth it for me.

Super shiny cases only make you feel good. They really don't help with accuracy or anything. I guess the argument could be made that they are easier to spot cracks and such.

I would say decide for yourself if you really want the additional work involved with making bling or you just want to clean cases enough for loading.

Either way you will need a dry tumbler. As some have said removing case lube is best done with a dry tumbler. I also have tumbled bullets, loaded rounds and even dies.

I would buy either the Dillon or the big Lyman. I cheaped out and bought a small Cabelas tumbler. I am wanting a bigger unit.
View Quote

I feel the same way about wet tumbling.  Yeah, you get amazingly shiny brass.... But it's time consuming for the amount I shoot and reload.

I went back to dry tumbling and sold my gear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I like the shiny, which is probably why my tumbler wore out so fast (running it days on end probably didn't help).  So what's my best bet for a wet tumbler that lands somewhere between junk and Gucci?

I'll probably just get another small and cheap dry tumbler for the job of removing case lube.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't seen bad reports on the F/A Tumbler , the kit can be found for $136 shipped @ jet.com
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Look like Lyman's is the same size as the FA, and both come with media and sample detergent.   Thumbler's Tumbler is more expensive and doesn't come with media, but looks to be bulletproof in construction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am running a Franklin and I like it, the damn thing runs almost 24 hours a day and have not had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I think both dry media and wet tumbling should be used as part of any regimen. For expended brass, I like to dry tumble everything to get it clean enough to go through my resizing die + trimming. Then, I'll wet tumble everything to clean out the primer pockets, clean out the insides, deburr the case mouths (from trimming) and give it a factory new shine.

The harbor freight dual drum tumbler is a good place to start. I think with the 20% off coupon I had one out the door for just around $52. Buy the pins on eBay for around $20/2lb and use your own dish soap and hot water. Each drum gets 1lb of pins + enough brass to get up to the 90% full mark. Tumble for an hour or two and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]

You need to make the same decision I faced 5 years ago
  ( replacing a vibratory tumbler)

YOU CAN --
  1)  stay with a vibratory tumbler
        you already know about these  ( do not get a cheap one !!! )

2)  Ultra sonic cleaner
       ( do not get a cheap one )
       + they are fast
       +  they get the inside of the case clean
       +  they will clean the primer pocket ( deprime first )
       -  small batches of cases at a time
       -  if you want your cases polished ( sparkling, shinny ) you will need to put cases
          in a vibratory tumbler to polish
      -  they need ( to work correctly ) a special cleaning liquid ( something you constantly need to buy more of )

3)  SS pin tumbler
     ( do not get a cheap one )
     ( many sizes to choose from ) ( small ones = small batches of cases )( big ones = big batches of cases )
     ( I have a Thumblers Tumbler, I can clean 250 pistol cases or 150 rifle cases at a time )
      +  takes about 2 hrs to clean cases
      +  cleans inside of cases
      + cleans inside of primer pocket ( when you deprime first )
      +  polishes cases
      + easier to see a defect in a clean case
      + SS pins do not wear out
      -  you need to get Dawn dish soap and Lemi Shine ( not expensive )
      -  pins can get stuck in some caliber cases ( 30 cal. carbine is one )
     -  pins will get stuck in flame hole
     -  need to be extra vigilant, make sure no pins are in cases when you load them
         ( a pin could trash a  barrel )
     -  need to dry cases  ( I use a food dehydrator, 20 min. to 1 hr depending on number and size of cases )

I am VERY happy with SS pin cleaning and will never go buck to a vibratory tumbler !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top