Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2016 11:31:06 AM EDT
Found a pound of Enforcer locally so naturally I ran home and ordered 250 Barnes black tips for my 300 blk out. Also managed to somehow slip some Barnes 125 grain .357s in the cart gosh darnit.

It's amazing how much money one can save loading for the 300.

Looking forward to playing with the black tips.

Any advice? I think it's pretty clearly documented in my loading data and on the internet, but it never hurts to ask.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used H-110 and worked up to max load, per Hodgdon.

No issues for me, found my hunting load. Grouped around 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yds. Not a match bullet.

As this bullet was designed for 300 blk, seat to mid cannelure for 2.250 OAL.

View Quote
Thx drflash. That's the oal barnes and western powders recommends too.

I got them for self defense. I was buying a box or loaded here and there but this will be so much more economical.  They're my shtf,  zombie,  rifle bullet. Hopefully never to be used.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
To add,  that's a large group. I though the C in the western powder reload data stood for competition....  No?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
C = compressed load
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

C = compressed load
View Quote
Thank you for that!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure what seating die you are using, but because of the elongated plastic point, some seating dies need to be modified to work properly. I have a Lee die set and someone made me a floating insert to replace the seating stem that comes with the die.

You can also send a bullet into Lee and for $8 I believe and they will make you a seating stem to that bullet. I've also modified seating stems by chucking them in a drill and shaping the contact area with a file as it turns.

The Barnes black tip are the most accurate bullet I've shot from my 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm using a Redding....  About to add the Lee factory crimp
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a bunch of these to load up as well. You think you would need to make a pistol and rifle load, or would one load suffice in both guns? Talking a good defensive load.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/300%20Blk/PA140262.jpg

I use a light crimp, FCD, on all of my 300 blk loads.

View Quote
I really drool over that picture! You're the one who got me started on these. I've a couple hundred factory, but they're so expensive!!

When you say light crimp, do you measure? For the redding die, roll crimp, I used an empty case and dialed it in at .002 total taper. Not sure how I'm going to adjust the Lee factory..... tips?

Real happy to be reloading.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I got a bunch of these to load up as well. You think you would need to make a pistol and rifle load, or would one load suffice in both guns? Talking a good defensive load.
View Quote
Curious to know as well...

I was going to work up using a 16" barrel. I would think with 300 doing so well in short barrels it may not matter much?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Kinda what I'm thinking, I got some factory I could test with.

Another thing to add to the list, I think I need to start one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I could run some factory over the chronograph,  but I'd like to wait until I have my 16" upper to so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Adjusting rifle FCD,

Look straight down at the collet.

Notice the 4 slots and how wide they are.

When bullet is all the way up into the die, and the collet gap is closed half way=light crimp.

Forget the Lee instructions as there is too much tolerance in press's, brass and dies.

Called tolerance stacking. A good term to google and understrand.

View Quote
Thx Dryflash -

My FCD showed up today. When working up these loads (the 147s) can I switch from the Redding roll crimp to the Lee FCD or is that a bad idea when working up loads?

I've got a 20 grain, 20.2 grain set done with roll crimp. Moving on tonight to 20.4 then 20.6 then 20.8 then 21 . Will stop at 21.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool thx. I think I'll just work up with the roll crimp and then switch over the factory. I'm only looking for pressure issues right now, and not going to max so I'll test a few with the factory crimp after coming up with a final on the roll crimp before I whip out 1000.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Redding makes different dies for 300blk, is this what you have?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/840357/redding-2-die-set-300-aac-blackout

The sharp tip on the Barnes bullet can bottom out on many seating stems. This video explains it well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGp0At_k-I

Unscrew the seating stem/plug from the seating die and check where it contacts the bullet. If it bottoms out you can drill out the center of the seating stem to provide more depth. You can also buy a replacement seating stem/plug or get a micrometer type.

The goal is to seat the bullet concentric in the case. Just replacing the seating step in a standard Lee 300blk die with a plug someone made for me on their lathe, I'm able to get 0.001-0.002" runout with the TAC-TX bullet. It's an expensive bullet so I don't mind taking extra steps to get the best accuracy from it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The sharp tip on the Barnes bullet can bottom out on many seating stems. This video explains it well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGp0At_k-I

Unscrew the seating stem/plug from the seating die and check where it contacts the bullet. If it bottoms out you can drill out the center of the seating stem to provide more depth. You can also buy a replacement seating stem/plug or get a micrometer type.

The goal is to seat the bullet concentric in the case. Just replacing the seating step in a standard Lee 300blk die with a plug someone made for me on their lathe, I'm able to get 0.001-0.002" runout with the TAC-TX bullet. It's an expensive bullet so I don't mind taking extra steps to get the best accuracy from it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for this info. I watched the YT video and then went out to check that my Redding seat die would be OK. It seems to have plenty of room to spare before the Barnes black tip bottoms out.

Has anyone else had issues with the Barnes black tips and the Redding seat die?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To add,  that's a large group. I though the C in the western powder reload data stood for competition....  No?
View Quote

The (C) in Western data stands for Compressed.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This bullet loads fine with Hornady dies.
View Quote

Good to know, I have Hornady dies and 500 black tips were delivered yesterday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top