Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 1:48:51 PM EDT
Does all .308 brass take large primers ?

I am gathering stuff to start reloading for a 308. Just curious about the primer size.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The only .308 brass that uses small rifle primers is Lapua's Palma brass.

Nobody I know would leave it at the range after being fired, so your chance of getting any in your range pick-ups is very low.

Make sure you keep all head stamps separated and reduce the powder charges 2.0 whole grains when loading military surplus brass like Lake City or IMI etc.

Military brass weighs close to 180 grains empty and unprimed. Winchester (the lightest) can weigh as little as 155 grains. The other brands average around 160 to 165 grains. Mix them up and at a minimum you'll get poor results on target. If you load too much powder in the military cases you'll have more serious problems.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok. I have yet to decide if I'm going to go with a brand of brass , or military brass. Whatever I go i will try to stick with just it. Probably only keep a few hundred rounds. Bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for LC 7.62 with the "LR" (Long Range) head stamp.  Those are not crimped, and to my knowledge, not shot out of anything semi-auto.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look for LC 7.62 with the "LR" (Long Range) head stamp.  Those are not crimped, and to my knowledge, not shot out of anything semi-auto.
View Quote

Ya, I just ordered about 1300 pieces from some guy, had to pick through it piece by piece to get all the LC LR out of it., going to keep it separate for reloading for my Ruger Precision Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The regular LC 308 brass is just fine once it's been whipped into shape. It's usually tough to size properly the first time (you may have to back your die off on next sizing) but its durable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And then there are the Berdain primers,,,,,,,,,
View Quote

not on LC brass
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I have once or twice run into berdan-primed .308 brass laying around at the range.  Since i didn't think it existed, I didn't check and damaged my Lyman Universal De-capping die's pin.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have once or twice run into berdan-primed .308 brass laying around at the range.  Since i didn't think it existed, I didn't check and damaged my Lyman Universal De-capping die's pin.
View Quote

Almost all surplus 762x51 ammo is berdan.  I think I've only once run into boxer primed surplus.

If some one was blasting away with a FAL or CETME theres a fair chance for berdan cases laying around.  As most people I know with them bought a ton of the surplus when it was cheap.  Projectiles were more expensive than the surplus for a while
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Lee is quite nice for that reason.  The pin simply slips out of its collet rather than bending or breaking the pin.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Lee is quite nice for that reason.  The pin simply slips out of its collet rather than bending or breaking the pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have older Lee Dies, where the decapping pin and expander ball and rod are all one piece.  My Lyman and RCBS dies have replaceable pins.  The universal die is heavier duty, and makes short work of crimped primers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I typically buy surplus LC ( lake city)

It takes large rifle primers.

The primer pockets are crimped in,   .  .  .  which is a chore

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only .308 brass that uses small rifle primers is Lapua's Palma brass.

Nobody I know would leave it at the range after being fired, so your chance of getting any in your range pick-ups is very low.

Make sure you keep all head stamps separated and reduce the powder charges 2.0 whole grains when loading military surplus brass like Lake City or IMI etc.

Military brass weighs close to 180 grains empty and unprimed. Winchester (the lightest) can weigh as little as 155 grains. The other brands average around 160 to 165 grains. Mix them up and at a minimum you'll get poor results on target. If you load too much powder in the military cases you'll have more serious problems.
View Quote

PPU also puts out .308 in both small and large rifle priming, and I have heard that Federal/Speer/ATK also had a line of "clean" small primed brass .308 but I had never seen one.

Inspect every piece when you get it, then find a way to mark that it is yours (I use dykem)... its the only way to be sure...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top