Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 2:08:05 AM EDT
I add two dryer sheets everyou time I clean cases. Still having lots of dust build up on the inside of cases.

Idk if it's just me the it concerns me.to have all that dust in there.

Tips or tricks to cut down on dust?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I add a mixture of nufinish car wax in the orange bottle,  thinned down by mineral spirits. About 2 cap fulls per load
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Were they black after tumbling? Did you cut them into 2 inch squares?
How many times have you used the walnut? Did you buy the low dust lizard litter to start with?

Wow just lol. Didn't realize how complicated this was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
simple, polish with  corn cob. Walnut cleans and corn polishes. I do add mineral spirits to the walnut, it helps break down crud.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had good luck keeping down dust, when dry tumbling, by adding a cap full or two of mineral oil.

Add the MO run the tumbler 10 min. then add cases.

I think you will find that this reduces dust.

primerhead
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I add a mixture of nufinish car wax in the orange bottle,  thinned down by mineral spirits. About 2 cap fulls per load
View Quote

I do this also and it works GREAT
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this but without the mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been thinning my Lyman additive for a while. Else, it comes out in clumps and usually more than I want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I use brass polish mixed in and have had zero issues with dust
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many times have you used the walnut? Did you buy the low dust lizard litter to start with?

View Quote

They are straight brown. It's brand new frankford arsenal walnut. It cleans really well just Dusty as all get out. It's then3 batch I've run thought it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are straight brown. It's brand new frankford arsenal walnut. It cleans really well just Dusty as all get out. It's then3 batch I've run thought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut up an old t-shirt into 2 inch squares and run for 2 hours. In the future by pet store lizard litter. Much less dust.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Doublebtap
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
A long squirtof nufinsh and let it mix for 30 min before putting in brass. Ive never added the other stuff to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I put my tumblers outside and leave the lids off. The dust doesn't stay in the bowl.
I don't live in town, so I don't have to worry about anyone complaining about the noise.
Been doing it this way for years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
A capful of mineral SPIRITS (paint thinner) is all it takes to virtually eliminate the dust.  The exact amount is dependent upon your tumbler size.  Less is better than too much.  Add the mineral spirits before putting in any brass and let it run for 10 minutes to distribute.  

Mineral oil and car waxes are adulterating the media and will leave a residue on your cases.  Sounds interesting but I have to ask why?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Nu-Finish person myself. 1 cap full straight.
Let it run with no brass for a little while, kills dust for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A capful of mineral SPIRITS (paint thinner) is all it takes to virtually eliminate the dust.  The exact amount is dependent upon your tumbler size.  Less is better than too much.  Add the mineral spirits before putting in any brass and let it run for 10 minutes to distribute.  

Mineral oil and car waxes are adulterating the media and will leave a residue on your cases.  Sounds interesting but I have to ask why?
View Quote

That's why you use the NuFinish Polish.... Not the wax
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Is the zilla pet stuff super fine? Like the 14-20 grit blasting media?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not super fine, though I am unsure of the actual grit size.

If I may guess at your true question... Yes it will get stuck in your flash-hole.

I use, as well as many others, a universal decapper in the first position on my press to pop out any walnut that may be stuck in the flash-hole.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tumbling/34a6f365-5175-4eed-bc9c-6f3c9c38f5b0_zpsf3ed33fd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tumbling/34a6f365-5175-4eed-bc9c-6f3c9c38f5b0_zpsf3ed33fd.jpg</a>  

Pet store media is less than ideal unless you enjoy picking it out of primer pockets and flasholes.

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-14-to-20-grit-526020g-40/i/G1695775/

Get some 14-20 grit that flows through the flashole.

They have a good price here, and I happen to know from past purchases, fast shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Tumbling/34a6f365-5175-4eed-bc9c-6f3c9c38f5b0_zpsf3ed33fd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tumbling/34a6f365-5175-4eed-bc9c-6f3c9c38f5b0_zpsf3ed33fd.jpg</a>  

Pet store media is less than ideal unless you enjoy picking it out of primer pockets and flasholes.

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-14-to-20-grit-526020g-40/i/G1695775/

Get some 14-20 grit that flows through the flashole.

They have a good price here, and I happen to know from past purchases, fast shipping.

How's the dust?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#22]
If you dont want dust, tumble with rice
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I put my tumblers outside and leave the lids off. The dust doesn't stay in the bowl.
I don't live in town, so I don't have to worry about anyone complaining about the noise.
Been doing it this way for years.
View Quote

This work best for me. What little still sticks to the bowl after dumping the media and brass out I blow off with air.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The desert blend from Zilla,
http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/96370046.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Dano523/IMG_0046_zps9e9cmucx.jpg

So yes, if very small fine grains, and no chance of any of it's grains binding in the flash channel.

You can order is cheaper on line, but if you have a petco in your area, in the lizard sections, you can find the 10qt bags for around $10.  
Again, a smaller RCBS tumbler only holds around 3 qrt all the way full, a lyman 2500 holds around 7 quarts all the way full, and 10qts is enough to completely fill both at the same time (read only going to use about 9qrts, and have a extra quart for top off as you loose some media along the way before the media is beyond dirty from years of use, and time to get a new bag of it) .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The desert blend from Zilla,
http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/96370046.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Dano523/IMG_0046_zps9e9cmucx.jpg

So yes, if very small fine grains, and no chance of any of it's grains binding in the flash channel.

You can order is cheaper on line, but if you have a petco in your area, in the lizard sections, you can find the 10qt bags for around $10.  
Again, a smaller RCBS tumbler only holds around 3 qrt all the way full, a lyman 2500 holds around 7 quarts all the way full, and 10qts is enough to completely fill both at the same time (read only going to use about 9qrts, and have a extra quart for top off as you loose some media along the way before the media is beyond dirty from years of use, and time to get a new bag of it) .

That's what I use, buy on Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top