I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yay!!!

Love mine.

I talked my friend into buying one and he hated it at first. For some reason it was either going to fast or slow and having issues. Mine never had issues. Out of box, it was just right.

He was able to tweak it with some programming though.

I dont use all the memory stuff. I just dial in a number and it keeps dropping the same charge until I want to change.

If you do get frustrated like my friend, know there is lots of help online to tweak it but you likely wont need to.

Or call RCBS.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
One is on my list to buy also, just watching for Brownells to have a good deal on one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Teeli, the CW Texas organizer, put some things up for sale and said make an offer.

I wasn't thinking of how much they go for new, so I offered him $100.

He took it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
nice score
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Op I have one and love it. One thing I do every time is plug it in about half and hour to let it "warm" up. Also, look into reprogramming it. There are a bunch of videos out there. Get a McDonald's straw soon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice score OP.

Here is one of many great videos on YouTube on how to reprogram, or deprogram the Chargemaster.

This is by Erik Cortina, pretty knowledgeable dude.

And yeah, let it warm up for awhile, it's way better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I watched the video. It's kind of extreme for probably 99% of us. I'm very happy with "2 granules" accuracy. The sun coming out from behind the clouds very likely makes more difference. Then consider the time involved even if you just use the external trickler.

OP. Some form of the straw mod is a must. Reprogramming the parameters is easy and detailed enough to customise your powder drop.

Since you stole it you'll be even more happy you got it.

It's great for course grain powders, the kind you usually have to hand trickle because the go through the typical steel dispenser like whole kernel corn would.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I watched the video. It's kind of extreme for probably 99% of us. I'm very happy with "2 granules" accuracy. The sun coming out from behind the clouds very likely makes more difference. Then consider the time involved even if you just use the external trickler.

OP. Some form of the straw mod is a must. Reprogramming the parameters is easy and detailed enough to customise your powder drop.

Since you stole it you'll be even more happy you got it.

It's great for course grain powders, the kind you usually have to hand trickle because the go through the typical steel dispenser like whole kernel corn would.

Motor
View Quote
Right now I use 3 powders.

Lil Gun

Win 231

TAC
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't leave Lil Gun in it for any length of time.  It will make an absolute mess of everything.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The crown straw tweak works very well for clean drops time and time again, as well as programming your fast and low speeds.
http://www.accuracy-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/RCBS-002.jpg

Florescent lighting can do a number on the chargemaster, hence not only be close to one to cause problem, being not on  a dedicate circuit, but plugged into one that has a florescent lighting shared with it instead.  I bring this up, since most rooms will have a circuit or two back to the fuse box, with everthing including lighting, on the same circuit.  

The chargemaster does have suppression/filters in it as part of it electrical works, but can only do so much when the power being feed to is a mess instead.
So if worse comes to work, look at getting a line filter (not surge protector) to clean up the power being feed to it if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-2-Outlet-Mount-Power-Filter/dp/B000OF4R8C
View Quote

Explain more.about that straw
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a straight cut straw but have read and seen the clown hat before and although I have asked I never got an explanation on it.

So yes please do explain the benefit of that straw over the straight cut version.

OP. Don't know about TAC but I wouldn't and don't bother using my Chargemaster for powder that my Uniflow will throw just as accurately and at least 10 times faster.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If RCBS had the tube counterbored the last half inch or so we wouldn't need a "straw mod"

I like RCBS but it seems like poor product development to me.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had mine going on 8 years now. As long as I plug it in a filtered surge protector it has never let me down.  I have reprogrammed it and  bought the brass insert from a guy on accurate shooter . com and it has been dead on 98 out of a 100 drops every time. I baby the shit out of it and keep it covered when not in use. It gets checked against an old ohaus/RCBS 510 beam scale quite frequently and is always dead  on.

I know there are a lot of customers out there that have had some bad luck with these but aside from that I would still buy another one again. I would just buy it from somebody who would let me return it for a new one, and they are out there you just have to look.

I think a lot of the complaints arise from people just not knowing how to reprogram them, utilize the straw trick or plugging them into noisy outlets.

I should also add that the brass insert that I purchased works significantly better than just using the straw trick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think the tube diameter has much if anything to do with it throwing over charges.

I've watched it very closely and the problem is very easy to see.

The tube threads run all the way to the outlet. This creates a groove just inside of the opening.

This groove creates a speed bump that the powder has to climb over to exit the tube.

At normal speed it simply flows over but when it's in the final trickle mode that speed bump acts like a small dam.

The powder building up behind it until it finally accumulates enough to slide off the pile.

When this happens you get a small spilling effect instead of a trickle which of course usually ends up being an over charge.

The smooth straw eliminates the speed bump so you don't get any pile ups.

Motor
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Can be had from Jet.com for $188.25 shipped  after rebate
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a new one from Midsouth, will be here tomorrow!

With the $75 rebate it's an amazing deal at $225!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cheapest I could get it was $279 with the 15% off code and then you still have to spend at least $300 to get the $75 off rebate from RCBS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice score OP.

Here is one of many great videos on YouTube on how to reprogram, or deprogram the Chargemaster.

This is by Erik Cortina, pretty knowledgeable dude.

https://youtu.be/K4gCV8fLJ9U

And yeah, let it warm up for awhile, it's way better.
View Quote

The deviations he is seeing could be less than a single kernel of powder.  If each kernel is .035 grains (hypothetically) then getting a dead on weight every time would be damn near impossible.  It looks like he is using stick powder which of course means he has big kernels.  Ball powder would meter more consistently by default and would be better for testing the scale.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
oh your killing me ...I thought I did good when I bought from cabelas ,then went through activejunky.com return 19.00 and change 75.00 rcbs refund with 5.00 shipping grand total out of pocket was 233.62
Quoted:
View Quote
not sure how you got that amount  not seeing it just checked
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
oh your killing me ...I thought I did good when I bought from cabelas ,then went through activejunky.com return 19.00 and change 75.00 rcbs refund with 5.00 shipping grand total out of pocket was 233.62  not sure how you got that amount  not seeing it just checked
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
oh your killing me ...I thought I did good when I bought from cabelas ,then went through activejunky.com return 19.00 and change 75.00 rcbs refund with 5.00 shipping grand total out of pocket was 233.62
Quoted:
not sure how you got that amount  not seeing it just checked

Same here, couldn't get anywhere near that price. I got mine from Midsouth with the coupon I'll be at $225. Didn't include shipping as I also bought bullets / powder / primer so the chargemaster only added a dollar or two to the actual shipping cost.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice, love mine and I haven't done anything to it other than pull it out of the box, read the instructions and put it to use. Some do the "straw mod" and some reprogram them. Check youtube for vids.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
APC AV C Type 2-Outlet Wall Mount Power Filter, 120V   okay is this box the fix for have fl lights ? ive noticed my Dillon tends to wonder ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top