Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2016 6:29:53 PM EDT
So, I'm about to reload some of the Hornady brass that was shot in my RPR for the first time, de-primed and wet tumbled.

I just went out and picked 5 random cases, and they all chambered and ejected just fine. And the fit the Wilson case gage perfectly.

I'm thinking all I need to do is neck size and check for trim length?

No need to bump the shoulders back if they fit the chamber and bolt closes easily on them is there?

Thanks, Dave.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the RPR a bolt action? I'm unfamiliar with the name.

If so then yes, once fired brass can be neck sized only (you only need to neck size 1/2 to 2/3 of the case neck) and it can be fired from the same bolt action rifle again. Usually after the third firing you'll need to bump the shoulder -.0015" because the bolt will start to stick a little.

Brass will last a long time and you should see very good accuracy because the case fits the chamber like a glove.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger Precision Rifle, yes it is a bolt action.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like reloading for anything else.  You'll be able to neck size a few times then the shoulder will need bumped back.  My experience with the RPR is the chambers are sloppy and if you set dies up per instructions you will have relatively short case life.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottom line is if the bolt closes its GTG.

My silhouette load must have been mild because I never had to bump my shoulders back and when I stopped competing my brass had about 15 neck only cycles on them. And a couple annealings.  

Motor
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be keeping diligent records on all the RPR brass, already got a log book going.

Will anneal every 5 or so trips through the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That sounds like an excellent plan.

Funny thing about my old match brass is I'm still using it but now I'm full length sizing it so it's finally wearing out.

It was all LC late 60's and some early 70's. Amazingly the primer pockets are still good.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I WAS going to go to the range today, but this morning I got a reply off craigslist 3 1/2 cords of firewood for 150.00. Couldn't pass it up.

Maybe next week.

Maybe I can resize some of the LC and reload it to take as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just like reloading for anything else.  You'll be able to neck size a few times then the shoulder will need bumped back.  My experience with the RPR is the chambers are sloppy and if you set dies up per instructions you will have relatively short case life.
View Quote

That's an interesting observation.  I'm sorry that you've had that experience as mine has been the complete opposite.  My bud and I each got at RPR in .243 last year, the serial numbers are about 1000 different.  They are definitely early first generation guns.  

We bought 200 pieces of new Lapua brass.  Using the Hornady tool, I measured the factory-set headspace of this new Lapua brass.  I then measured several pieces of brass after firing them in the chamber of both rifles (one set of brass for each rifle - kept separate), and I found that with my tools with a resolution of only .001", I could not measure a difference between factory virgin brass and once fired brass in those chambers.  Ruger advertises these rifles as 'zero headspace' and my measurements have shown this to be accurate.  If I could measure with a resolution of .0001" then maybe I might see a difference.  

I repeated this exercise with a new lot of Winchester brand brass with the same results in both rifles.

The Lapua brass is on its 5th loading now and I have yet to touch the shoulders.  I'm using the Lee collett neck sizer.  Both of lots of brass still chamber easily.

Interestingly, the throat is in the same place on both rifles too, within .001" anyway.  I used the Hornady comparator tool to find the CBTO measurement touching the lands with the 105AMAX, 107SMK, 107CC, and 105Hybrid.  Both rifles measure within .001" for CBTO with the same type of bullets.

I've never been much of a Ruger fan.  But these two rifles are amazingly consistent, especially for the cost.  They like the same loads exactly.  They shoot the same groups consistently (3/4MOA with Hornady and Nosler, < 1/2MOA with SMK, and pretty much 1 hole with Berger).
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's an interesting observation.  I'm sorry that you've had that experience as mine has been the complete opposite.  My bud and I each got at RPR in .243 last year, the serial numbers are about 1000 different.  They are definitely early first generation guns.  

We bought 200 pieces of new Lapua brass.  Using the Hornady tool, I measured the factory-set headspace of this new Lapua brass.  I then measured several pieces of brass after firing them in the chamber of both rifles (one set of brass for each rifle - kept separate), and I found that with my tools with a resolution of only .001", I could not measure a difference between factory virgin brass and once fired brass in those chambers.  Ruger advertises these rifles as 'zero headspace' and my measurements have shown this to be accurate.  If I could measure with a resolution of .0001" then maybe I might see a difference.  

I repeated this exercise with a new lot of Winchester brand brass with the same results in both rifles.

The Lapua brass is on its 5th loading now and I have yet to touch the shoulders.  I'm using the Lee collett neck sizer.  Both of lots of brass still chamber easily.

Interestingly, the throat is in the same place on both rifles too, within .001" anyway.  I used the Hornady comparator tool to find the CBTO measurement touching the lands with the 105AMAX, 107SMK, 107CC, and 105Hybrid.  Both rifles measure within .001" for CBTO with the same type of bullets.

I've never been much of a Ruger fan.  But these two rifles are amazingly consistent, especially for the cost.  They like the same loads exactly.  They shoot the same groups consistently (3/4MOA with Hornady and Nosler, < 1/2MOA with SMK, and pretty much 1 hole with Berger).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Every single one of them has been that way.   When i shot my barrel out and changed it I had to drop my charge weight 1.3 grains and I only lost 25 FPS.  I have yet to see a chamber that does not have a generous size, and I have handled a number of them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I took 10 of the Hornady cases, and tried something I saw off YouTube.

I took the LEE collet die apart and polished it, then oiled it, and dialed the set up so that my .306" pin fit the case mouth perfectly.

The previous cases, I set it up different, then expanded with the K&M .306" mandrel.

I think I got better results, with less working of the brass this way.

I also set up and neck sized ten pieces of LC with the Redding NS die. I need to inspect more tomorrow, but the case mouths came out looking pretty rough. I need to find my readers to really get a good look, but I think it may need some polishing. IDK, the LEE brass looked much "smoother".
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Bumping to keep it alive.

As soon as I get through this next treatment I hope to get back to actually reloading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top