Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 3:20:49 PM EDT
Hello,

Just bought the Hornady LNL AP press. Now I'm researching about the die setup. By far, I have narrowed down to two plans based on the Hornady 3 die setup plus RCBS powder lockout die. LNL AP users, please give me some recommendations about which to go and why?

Plan ONE:
1. Size and deprime,
2. Flare
3. Hornady powder charge
4. RCBS powder lockout die,
5. Seat and crimp
I am concerned about the seat and crimp not being consistent. From my experience loading 223 on Redding T7 press, the seating doesn't work that good when crimping happens on the same die. But, that was trying to reload precision 223 rounds.

Plan TWO:
1. Size and deprime.
2. Powder charge through flare die
3. RCBS powder lockout die.
4. seat
5. crimp
My concern about this is that the case activated powder measure through the flare die is going to be somewhat more complicated to setup and adjust.

Last question is about the lube and sizing.
Do you decap separately then tumble clean prior to sizing?
Before sizing, do you lube the 40sw case at all? If you lube, do you clean it after sizing?
Thank you for the help and have a good day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
On my LNL AP for 9mm .40 and .45.
1: Size and decap then push to prime
2: Flare
3: Powder throw
4: Powder cop
5: seat and crimp

I don't lube straight wall pistol cases at all

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello,

Just bought the Hornady LNL AP press. Now I'm researching about the die setup. By far, I have narrowed down to two plans based on the Hornady 3 die setup plus RCBS powder lockout die. LNL AP users, please give me some recommendations about which to go and why?

Plan ONE:
1. Size and deprime,
2. Flare
3. Hornady powder charge
4. RCBS powder lockout die,
5. Seat and crimp
I am concerned about the seat and crimp not being consistent. From my experience loading 223 on Redding T7 press, the seating doesn't work that good when crimping happens on the same die. But, that was trying to reload precision 223 rounds.

Plan TWO:
1. Size and deprime.
2. Powder charge through flare die
3. RCBS powder lockout die.
4. seat
5. crimp
My concern about this is that the case activated powder measure through the flare die is going to be somewhat more complicated to setup and adjust.

Last question is about the lube and sizing.
Do you decap separately then tumble clean prior to sizing?
Before sizing, do you lube the 40sw case at all? If you lube, do you clean it after sizing?
Thank you for the help and have a good day.
View Quote
Well, you've correctly identified the two options and the "concerns" lol.

Plan 2 is best IMO, and future setup adjustments and issues can be avoided at the cost of a Quick Change Powder Die ($26), PTX Powder Measure Stop ($7), and a bushing per caliber. That assumes you are going to use the press for other calibers, of course, otherwise you just leave it set up.

It's not necessary to lube straight-walled cases, but I've come to enjoy the easy operation of spraying some One-Shot on the cases in a plastic bag, squishing them around a bit to benefit from the lube on the bag's inside, and letting them dry for 5 minutes.

I don't decap pistol cases before cleaning.
I do tumble clean before sizing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
40s&w

1. Size and decap
2. Powder thru expander
3. Rcbs powder lockout
4. Seat (hornady)
5. Taper crimp (rcbs)

I use hornady spray lube without tumbling off.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Option 2, my oal variation went way down on my lnl ap when I separated seating and crimping.

Eta I lube pistol calibers with Hornady's spray lube. It works well and makes the press take much less effort to run.  Again, it reduced my oal variation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
holy moly.
Thank you all.
Plan 2 it is. Starting to order parts.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Station 1, Deprime and sizer die, so Hornady carbide dies come in handy so you don't have to lube the cases!!!
Note, not having to lube the cases means that you don't have to wipe the lube off the rounds in the end.  Lubing is not bad if you vibrate with dry media, since you can just throw the loaded ammo back into it to clean the lube off the rounds, but if you wet tumble, this no longer becomes a option

Station 2, powder dispensor with powder through expander and linkage brace.   As for powder through expander, the hornday one will work, but take the time to polish the belling section on it via spin polishing.

Station 3, some kind of powder check.  The RCBS lock out will work, but look into a Dillion powder checker since it not much more when you have a buy a few lock outs, and will come in handy when you are starting to load rifle loads isntead (what the lock out kind of dies will not work on isntead).
Note, get back to me when you are starting to load rifle, and I will walk you through the needed mods to get the Dillion power check to work well with bottle neck cartridges.  The needed mods are a end button piece that fits the case neck without a lot of slop, has a flat base with only sight edge tampering, and to sleeve the bottom button so is not flopping around like a BB in a box car missing the mouth of the case when the machine is jolting.
Here is inline mod of a dillion powder check, if you don't want to have to drill hole in your top tool plate to make the stock unit work without mods,
http://inlinefabrication.com/products/powder-check-for-the-hornady-lnl-ap

Here is the stock dillon unit used with just a hole drilled in the top tool plate, which saves you about $40 dollars over the in line kit (so you don't have to drill the hole).
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/reloading%20stuff/installed_zps87048b23.jpg

Station 4, bullet seat, and the combo bullet seater that comes will you die set will be used, but now spun up far enough to  not crimp the bullets at that station.

Station 5, Lee carbide FCD to crimp the jacket bullets in the case.  Note only does the die bullet crimp, but makes sure that the sides of the case been resized as the round is being pulled out of them.
Note, if you are running casted PC bullets that are over .401, then its the standard lee taper crimp die you want to pick up instead.  It will work just like the combo seater/crimper die you have in the Hornady set, but is only around $12 to pick up the needed extra die instead.  The reason for this, the carbide ring in the carbide ring in the factory crimp dies will end up resizing the bullets down to around .401 when the case/bullet is drawn through it on the way up and back down.

http://leeprecision.com/userfiles/images/38_FCD.jpg
http://leeprecision.com/carbide-factory-crimp-die-40sw10mm.html

http://leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/tcdiecutaway.jpg
http://leeprecision.com/taper-crp-di-40s-w-10mm.html

As for dies, Hornady custom 40 with carbide sizer,
The Lee bullet crimper
The Hornady powder through expander and don't forget to buy the PXT linkage piece,
http://1.op.ht/978-550-ffffff/opplanet-hornady-powder-through-expander-for-use-with-case-activated-powder-drop-355-bull.jpg
http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ptx-bracket-close.jpg

And a #10 shell plate.

View Quote
I agree 100% with Dano, except I have the Hornady Powder Cop die - which requires visual monitoring of the die indicator, rather than producing an audible alarm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
All of my LnL straightwall handgun reloading is thus for 9mm, 10mm and 45:

1.  re-size and de-prime

2. prime

3. powder drop

4. flare

5. seat

6. crimp

All using hornady dies.

I have messed with a powder cop and flare through powder drop routine, just didnt care for it or think it was beneficial, to me.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Good choice in press.

If I tumble in SS pins and oven dry I shoot the brass with a spray or two of One Shot (properly shaken) in a gallon zip-lock bag.

If I use the corn media that has a little polish in vibratory cleaner I don't need anything for lube. Lube just makes the opteration of the press smoother.

For 9mm and 40S&W:

1 Size/de-prime

2 Powder/PTX

3 Powder Cop

4 Bullet feed die/tubes  ("$28 Bullet Feeder")

5 Seat (very light crimp)

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I load 45 and 9mm on my LnL AP

I use option 1 I load a lot of cast and PC bullets, I have avoided the Hornady PTXs since almost every account I have read reports little to no flare/belling which matters with oversized soft bullets.

In the event I choose to seat and crimp separate, which I sometimes do, I just pull the powder check.

No lube on straight walled, though many report more consistent COAL using spray lube.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Please school me what is the 28 buck bullet feeder tube?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I use option 2. Several years ago Hornady came out with an addition part called the powder stop which makes adjusting their powder thru expanders very easy. This piece is included with the newer presses. I ordered additional ones so I could set one for each caliber to eliminate adjusting as I change calibers frequently.

I clean my brass before sizing and depriming.  Clean brass helps protect the sizing die.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Something like this.

Ultimate reloader
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

It is a beautiful thing...  $28 Bullet Feeder

sent you an IM
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
For plated bullets I use the hornady bullet feeder die and a 24" length of aluminum tubing.  Works fine.

Basically the same thing as the $28 gizmo, but the al tubing supports itself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For plated bullets I use the hornady bullet feeder die and a 24" length of aluminum tubing.  Works fine.

View Quote

Where did you get the aluminum tubing - if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered 6' lengths of 1/2" x .035 wall tubing from Zoro.com, cut them into 24" lengths, and drilled them for hairpin clips at each end.  I drilled some small holes every couple of inches to work as a view window to gauge how may bullets are left in the tube.  I need to enlarge those holes, I can't clearly see the bullets in the holes I drilled.

This tubing will work for 9mm and .40.  it's too small for .45acp.  I had to drill out the end of the 9mm bullet feeder die so the 1/2" tubing fit.  The die metal is soft and easy to drill.  IIRC the the tubing fit the .40 cal die without doing anything.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Got a friend that I shoot with, and just the last time alone, we had to knock 4 bullet out of his Glock barrel from squib loads.
So yes, , no powder check on his progressive machine, and still insisted that he is looking at the powder levels before he seats a bullet to make sure that there is powder in the loads every time we have to knock a bullet out of hot barrel.  Hence the problem is not that there is no powder in the loads, but can not tell the height of the powder to confirm that he has a full load in case to not cause problems isntead.

If you are going to run a progressive machine, then some sort of powder check is mandatory, and it need to check the height of the powder drop in the case to make sure it unified to the rest, than just making sure that there is powder in the case isntead.

As for as powder checks go, visual powder check would the least best since you have to look at each time (to easy to not look at when you are suposed to), then something like the lock out die (for pistol) that will lock the machine up if the level is wrong, with the best being the Dillon, since your going to get an alarm if the powder level is off isntead (and way faster to clear the case on the machine, then to have to play with a lock out to get it unlocked as it stops the machine just before you handle all the way down.  Hence with a Dillon alarm, when you get the alarm on the bottom of the stroke from the powder level being wrong, you just pull the case as you are handling back up to get it out of play instead.  With the lock out, you have to play with to get it unlocked so you can finish the stroke, then pull the case as you are handling back up again (so you don't double stroke and end up with a case that is not double charged isntead.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of my LnL straightwall handgun reloading is thus for 9mm, 10mm and 45:

1.  re-size and de-prime
2. prime
3. powder drop
4. flare
5. seat
6. crimp

All using hornady dies.

I have messed with a powder cop and flare through powder drop routine, just didnt care for it or think it was beneficial, to me.

Got a friend that I shoot with, and just the last time alone, we had to knock 4 bullet out of his Glock barrel from squib loads.
So yes, , no powder check on his progressive machine, and still insisted that he is looking at the powder levels before he seats a bullet to make sure that there is powder in the loads every time we have to knock a bullet out of hot barrel.  Hence the problem is not that there is no powder in the loads, but can not tell the height of the powder to confirm that he has a full load in case to not cause problems isntead.

If you are going to run a progressive machine, then some sort of powder check is mandatory, and it need to check the height of the powder drop in the case to make sure it unified to the rest, than just making sure that there is powder in the case isntead.

As for as powder checks go, visual powder check would the least best since you have to look at each time (to easy to not look at when you are suposed to), then something like the lock out die (for pistol) that will lock the machine up if the level is wrong, with the best being the Dillon, since your going to get an alarm if the powder level is off isntead (and way faster to clear the case on the machine, then to have to play with a lock out to get it unlocked as it stops the machine just before you handle all the way down.  Hence with a Dillon alarm, when you get the alarm on the bottom of the stroke from the powder level being wrong, you just pull the case as you are handling back up to get it out of play instead.  With the lock out, you have to play with to get it unlocked so you can finish the stroke, then pull the case as you are handling back up again (so you don't double stroke and end up with a case that is not double charged isntead.)
I concur that the Powder Cop is not as effective as the Dillon.  I'm working on plans for an alarm to work with the Powder Cop, but I haven't finalized it yet.  Mine is less mechanical and more electronic - an IR sensor for the PC shaft and either a Hall Effect sensor or IR sensor for when the ram is at the top.

It's important to point out that NONE of these options actually "measures" the powder in the case.  At best they warn you of two conditions: substantially too little powder or substantially too much powder (which includes zero powder and double charges).
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I spoke too soon.
The tube type bullet feeder looks like a good addition.
That will take one more die opening. So I would have to either give up powder checker station, or seat and crimp on one station.
So, what do you folks think? Is the auto bullet feeder worth it?

1 size and deprime
2 drop powder
3 check powder
4 flare and feed bullet
5 seat and crimp

OR

1 size and deprime
2 drop powder
3 flare and feed bullet
4 seat
5 crimp

I prefer the first one if I have to use the bullet feeder. I think that with a bullet feeder, checking powder is even more critical cause it is hard to visual inspect. Then it is back to the same concern again. How well can the die seat and crimp the same time?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I do the second option - but flare happens at the powder drop with a ptx (Powder through expander).

I also added a LED light from inline fabrications that sits in the hole in the middle of the top of the press and has a light strip that attaches to the frame.  It makes seeing powder levels better.   Still not as reliable as the dillon check.  

I think it depends on your confidence that you are running a complete cycle on the press and not short stroking or doing odd things.  you have to pay attention to not short stroke or double stroke.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The units will do a little better than that, and it just a mater of how closly the end button fits to the ID of the case, and don't have the end button all side radus isntead.

Hence on the dillon unit, then go a tad over board on the end of button side radusing, since the upper tool in some caliper is like a BB in a Box car.  So buy sleeving  the upper tool to the bottom button is not swinging so wildly, you can fatten the end of the bottom button with only a slight outer bottom edge taper, to get a better reading of the powder instead.  With the better reading, you can now make a tighter V upper taper block and will tell you in your are over and under say .4 gr isntead.

Hence in small calibers, the powder rod end button is swinging like a clapper in a  church tower bell in the lower tool head tool as the machine is jolting (Why the bottom button edges are  so tapered,  so it can find the opening of the case when swinging instead.  Hence keep the powder rod end centered in the tool head tool and OD the button for a tighter fit into the  case you are checking, and the bottom of it can be mainly flat for a great deal better reading of what amount of powder is in the case isntead.).
http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Dillon-Powder-Check-Overview-Labeled-Sized.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's important to point out that NONE of these options actually "measures" the powder in the case.  At best they warn you of two conditions: substantially too little powder or substantially too much powder (which includes zero powder and double charges).

The units will do a little better than that, and it just a mater of how closly the end button fits to the ID of the case, and don't have the end button all side radus isntead.

Hence on the dillon unit, then go a tad over board on the end of button side radusing, since the upper tool in some caliper is like a BB in a Box car.  So buy sleeving  the upper tool to the bottom button is not swinging so wildly, you can fatten the end of the bottom button with only a slight outer bottom edge taper, to get a better reading of the powder instead.  With the better reading, you can now make a tighter V upper taper block and will tell you in your are over and under say .4 gr isntead.

Hence in small calibers, the powder rod end button is swinging like a clapper in a  church tower bell in the lower tool head tool as the machine is jolting (Why the bottom button edges are  so tapered,  so it can find the opening of the case when swinging instead.  Hence keep the powder rod end centered in the tool head tool and OD the button for a tighter fit into the  case you are checking, and the bottom of it can be mainly flat for a great deal better reading of what amount of powder is in the case isntead.).
http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Dillon-Powder-Check-Overview-Labeled-Sized.jpg

Interestingly, Inline Fabrication makes a modified Dillon Powder Check for use on the Hornady LnL AP.  I haven't figured out yet how the ram operates the actuation rod, but it looks mighty nice.

I concur with your ideas about making the powder rod fit the case better - that's been a clear issue with the Powder Cop, and not just with smaller calibers.  If there's any shake with the shell plate rotation, the powder can shift enough in a pistol case to produce a false reading.  Hornady provides a little "centering insert" made of light plastic, but it really won't do much; a caliber-specific rod, or rod adapter anyway, is really a better idea.  Is that brass tip on the powder rod threaded - as in can it be swapped out with a more case-fitting piece?

The groove in the top of the powder rod, and the corresponding switch actuator are really important as well.  If the switch is as sensitive as I know such switches can be, then the Powder Check could be pretty close to "measuring" the powder in the case - as long as the powder rod really fits that case.
Fixed that stupid tag!
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I do visual confirmation instead of the powder check.

You need this!
http://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylight-led-lighting-system-for-the-hornady-lnl-ap

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have both extra lights and a video camera monitoring my press at the (half) station just past the powder drop, but I STILL like the Powder Cop for extra verification.  And if the amount of powder isn't right - but it isn't absent or overfilling the case - a Powder Cop can help make that obvious, while that's not necessarily easy to do with any form of visual check.

Still better than the Powder Cop is something like Dillon's system that AUDIBLY reminds you that something isn't right.  Your eyes can fatigue, but a loud buzzer isn't something you can just ignore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top