Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2016 2:38:11 AM EDT
I'm usually not one to purchase 1st gen products but I have been tempted for a while by the Labradar. I got the in stock notice from Midway and decided to pick one up. I've never had good luck with my prochrono and wanted something a bit easier to setup and log data. Anyone else here have one?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that there are 4-5 different guys that have them here. I'll bump it up for you so they can see it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I just took mine to the range for the first time yesterday morning.  I didn't get a ton of time with it though, it was dang hot outside.  It did seem pretty easy and i did like the xls spreadsheets.  

Worked flawless with my 308 but I was a little disappointed it didn't catch any of my suppressed subsonic 300 blk rounds.  From what i understand, I should be able to get it to work with my suppressed by either buying the airgun trigger or turning it to the doppler setting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine for a month or so. Overall I'm real happy with it. Since I shoot suppressed almost all the time, I bought the airgun attachment, it's a small mic and a bracket that attaches to the unit. I've had days when it works almost 100% on suppressed 300 blackout rounds from 110 gr to 220 gr, then the next time I can't get it to read the blackout. I shoot a 458 Socom and it does very good with it. The problem with the 458 is the muzzle blast blows the foam wind cover off the mic.  Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to use. If you're shooting a round around 1600fps or lower you need to use the handgun setting. If you set the projectile weight correctly it will give the power factor and it will give velocities & Kinetic energy for 5 different ranges. The use of an SD card is very good, you just take it out and plug it into your computer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I was aware of the suppressor issues after reading the reviews on the Midway site. Mainly I will chrono my pistol and AR loads so I should be good to go. Has anyone had issues with the unit reading other peoples shots? The benches at my gun club are about 5 feet apart and I'm guessing that's enough distance to not trigger the labradar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Had mine over a year. Love it. Can be finicky but worth it. Alignment and sensitivity are crucial. Suck shooting next to someone shooting heavy rifles that picks up the shot but not recording. Take your time using different settings and it will work great for you. If your the only one at the range with it, get ready for folks who want to try it. Cool factor until you tell them how much it costs. To me, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was aware of the suppressor issues after reading the reviews on the Midway site. Mainly I will chrono my pistol and AR loads so I should be good to go. Has anyone had issues with the unit reading other peoples shots? The benches at my gun club are about 5 feet apart and I'm guessing that's enough distance to not trigger the labradar.
View Quote
Bearcat covered it, so just for emphasis:

The LR works extremely well. Had mine for several months and MagnetoSpeed and CED M2 are in the closet for good. Used the LR 2 weeks ago while shooting targets every 100yds to 1200 at Bangsteel, something that would be . . . well, let's just say difficult to do with other chronos.

Two settings are important when shooting with others: Sensitivity and Projectile Distance (from the chrono). You will need to lower Sensitivity until the LR does not react to others' shots. Then make sure the Projectile Distance you set results in Labradar reacting to your shot (sound) and finding the projectile. After a few uses you will find this pretty easy to do . . . unless you are shooting suppressed next to a braked 338 Lapua :)

Alignment is important - both horizontal and vertical to the line of sight to your target. Also important is make sure the LR does not shake a lot from muzzle blast - it can tolerate a bit of shake, but "wobbles" can prevent it from picking up your shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I did make a recommendation to the labradar folks. A mini keyboard with a 12 inch cord. Would be nice not having to touch the unit. Not fond of there base to hold it but it works. If you owners agree a mini keyboard would make things a little easier, please email them the suggestion. Might get them to do it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]
It has a Bluetooth function that doesn't have software yet. I would imagine this could give you a smartphone or laptop function.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the in stock notice from Midway too and ordered one. Mine should be delivered tomorrow. I shoot privately. Only one rifle shoots at a time. Some of the rifles have muzzle brakes. How do I set the LR to handle the blast from the brakes?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got the in stock notice from Midway too and ordered one. Mine should be delivered tomorrow. I shoot privately. Only one rifle shoots at a time. Some of the rifles have muzzle brakes. How do I set the LR to handle the blast from the brakes?
View Quote

Set your LR right next to those rifles about half way back from front. Shouldn't have a problem. I did contact LR about trying my 50BMG when I had it. was told to put it underneath.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy crap!! Midway has 172 of them in stock right now.  I don't think I have ever seen so many in one place before
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I have carried mine to the range three times so far, and am very pleased with it.  I use an inside range and all three times there were shooters in the lanes on both sides of me with handguns to 30 caliber long guns and the LR has both never failed to pick up one of my rounds and has never picked up a round from another lane.  I have used it for 380 AUTO and 45 ACP.  The data downloads to an EXCEL sheet where I pull the data I want to save and add it to the loading data for that particular round specs.  I would suggest the remote rechargeable battery.  If you use AA batteries, and leave them in the unit, you better carry spares to the range with you.  The rechargeable battery is well work the money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy crap!! Midway has 172 of them in stock right now.  I don't think I have ever seen so many in one place before
View Quote

WOW 172! And I was worried they would run out before I bought mine! I wonder how many they started with? I have spent way to much money on chronographs this year. First I tried to cheap out and bought a Caldwell. Tried it twice and it missed more shots than it recorded. Wanted a LR next but none to be found anywhere so I bought a MagnetoSpeed. 2 days after I ordered the MS V3, I got an in stock notification on the LR. Too late. I tried the MS V3 but didn't like fumbling with the bayo. Also didn't like the POI shift with the bayo attached. That made it suck for load development. Hopefully this works out. My luck, something revolutionary will come out next week!
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
. . . Hopefully this works out. My luck, something revolutionary will come out next week!
View Quote

Nah - you're good now :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried mine out for the first time today.  It took some fiddling but once I got it dialed in it almost never missed a shot.  It's going to replace my magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Just ordered!  Been waiting now for a couple months and just stumbled on this thread.
And with the $30 coupon from Midway, took the Air UPS as basically a freebee.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just ordered!  Been waiting now for a couple months and just stumbled on this thread.
And with the $30 coupon from Midway, took the Air UPS as basically a freebee.
View Quote

Mine came in the mail yesterday. Probably use it sometime next week
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I finally got mine out for a quick testing session at a public range close to the house. Setup was easy and uneventful as I had read the manual the night before. Tested out some factory 55gr ammo I had on hand and my own bulk 223 loads. The unit has no issues tracking out to 75 yards on occasion, but went to 50 yards reliably. I had the distance set to 6 inches with the sensitivity set to 1 and it would trigger and pickup the lady that was shooting a 22-250 at the bench next to me. Changed the sensitivity to 3 and it helped quite a bit but still would record her shots on occasion. I'm not too worried about this, as the range I usually go to is empty most of the time with more distance between benches and targets. The data logging capabilities is where these units really shine. I'm loving not having a pen/pad jotting and down each of the shots like I had to do with my Pro Chrono. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I still think the pricing is a bit steep for the average reloader, but if you have the extra coin I don't think its a purchase that you'll regret if you do a lot of load development. Pistol testing will be next.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
. . . Changed the sensitivity to 3 and it helped quite a bit but still would record her shots on occasion. I'm not too worried about this. . .
View Quote
Thought you might like to know that my LR as shipped only had 4 sensitivity settings. There was a firmware upgrade on the web site that added two new settings between the old #1 and #2 for a total of 6 settings.

If you don't have the latest firmware, you might want to get it. If you do, you might want to try Sensitivity #4 . . . which was the old #2. I've had no problem picking up my own shots at any sensitivity setting when shooting anything unsuppressed. YMMV of course - different guns, different calibers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thought you might like to know that my LR as shipped only had 4 sensitivity settings. There was a firmware upgrade on the web site that added two new settings between the old #1 and #2 for a total of 6 settings.

If you don't have the latest firmware, you might want to get it. If you do, you might want to try Sensitivity #4 . . . which was the old #2. I've had no problem picking up my own shots at any sensitivity setting when shooting anything unsuppressed. YMMV of course - different guns, different calibers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

. . . Changed the sensitivity to 3 and it helped quite a bit but still would record her shots on occasion. I'm not too worried about this. . .

There must be a new update because mine has 8 settings.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, mine only has 5 settings. You would think that it would have the latest update seeing that I bought it last week. I will check for a firmware update. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup, there's another update - thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd really like to see a bluetooth connection method before shelling out that type of money.

I'll see what if any changes they release over the next several months, then re-evaluate my position again.

~g
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Seriously considering purchasing one of these as my first and only chrono.  Can anyone tell me if it is compatible with Apple computers?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seriously considering purchasing one of these as my first and only chrono.  Can anyone tell me if it is compatible with Apple computers?  Thanks.
View Quote

As long as you can open up an Excel file you should be good to go. If you use an SD card there is no reason to hook the unit directly up to a computer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd really like to see a bluetooth connection method before shelling out that type of money.. . .
View Quote
Why? The device is inches from your phone and the Labradar's display is bright enough to actually see in daylight. If you are going to store all your chrono'd data, you can't really manipulate it well enough on your phone to make storage there worthwhile other than for show and tell.

The most viable use for bluetooth on the LR seems to be as a remote set of buttons so you don't have to reach for the "ARM" and other buttons for display etc . . . and don't have to risk disturbing the alignment of the radar unit . . . not to replace the superior display.

The radio is already inside the LR, just needs the firmware, and I suspect a reason to make development worthwhile. Maybe you can provide that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw earlier posts that it had trouble with .223 suppressed.  Is that still the case?  I'd be using a SiCo Omega..
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I saw earlier posts that it had trouble with .223 suppressed.  Is that still the case?  I'd be using a SiCo Omega..
View Quote
I will be testing new loads this weekend with my Labradar.  I will shoot a bunch through my Omega and keep you posted.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Sweet! Thanks.. if you do any subs let me know what happens with those too.

Quoted:
I will be testing new loads this weekend with my Labradar.  I will shoot a bunch through my Omega and keep you posted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As long as you can open up an Excel file you should be good to go. If you use an SD card there is no reason to hook the unit directly up to a computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is actually a CSV file. You don't *need* Excel, but Excel or another GUI spreadsheet application will make a CSV more visually pleasing.

All you need is a plain text editor to view a CSV.

That being said, I have a LabRadar and I primarily use Mac OS X. Plenty of usage information below:

https://www.ocabj.net/labradar-chronograph-review/

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I also purchased a Labradar. For those that have used theirs, how much life do you get with batteries? My first outing with mine I used 6 AA alkaline Duracell batteries. I shot about 120 rounds down range in 20 strings in less than 3 hours, and toward the end, the batteries would not keep the unit on. I did purchase the battery pack, but wanted to see the battery life of the AA batteries as well.

I also second the idea of not having to touch the screen to change settings. I found mine to be a little picky with alignment. I also disliked having to reach over my rifle to arm the radar. A remote device would solve both those (very minor) issues.

I also would like a way to put a bit of info into the spreadsheet regarding weather, ammo, rifle, etc. That would really eliminate the need for a tablet. When I got back from the range, I put the info into the spreadsheet to keep my records straight.

I like mine a lot!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I also purchased a Labradar. For those that have used theirs, how much life do you get with batteries? My first outing with mine I used 6 AA alkaline Duracell batteries. I shot about 120 rounds down range in 20 strings in less than 3 hours, and toward the end, the batteries would not keep the unit on. I did purchase the battery pack, but wanted to see the battery life of the AA batteries as well.

I also second the idea of not having to touch the screen to change settings. I found mine to be a little picky with alignment. I also disliked having to reach over my rifle to arm the radar. A remote device would solve both those (very minor) issues.

I also would like a way to put a bit of info into the spreadsheet regarding weather, ammo, rifle, etc. That would really eliminate the need for a tablet. When I got back from the range, I put the info into the spreadsheet to keep my records straight.

I like mine a lot!!
View Quote
Never used it with AA batteries.

I picked up a couple of the $4.95 battery packs for charging cell phones and use those.

It lasts a whole day at the range.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
It works well with excel, the way they format the data in the file does not work well with Numbers.
With that said, I'm working on getting this fixed. I believe it's more of an issue with Numbers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It works well with excel, the way they format the data in the file does not work well with Numbers. With that said, I'm working on getting this fixed. I believe it's more of an issue with Numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works well with excel, the way they format the data in the file does not work well with Numbers. With that said, I'm working on getting this fixed. I believe it's more of an issue with Numbers.

open the report csv in vi/vim, or make a copy of that file and open in vim.

:%s/;/:/g 

:wq!

First command will replace semi-colons with commas. Second command saves and quits vi/vim.

Then open with numbers. Each field should be in it's own column.

Or you can run a perl one-liner against the csv file (or a copy of the file) to replace semi-colons with commas, such as:

perl -pi -e 's/;/,/g' <filename>

Or just whatever you know how to use to convert all the semi-colons with commas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Snip
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip
Good workaround.

Ultimately we want it to work without opening the terminal.

It's being worked on
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I import mine as a file and loads right up without issues. Printing it is a different issue though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good workaround.

It's being worked on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip
Good workaround.

It's being worked on

Write an Applescript hook that will do the regex on the file for you. The essential core issue is that Numbers appears to want actual commas to be the field separator character, as opposed to semi-colons (or tabs, etc).
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I tested some .223 loads with my labradar.  It picked up every unsuppressed shot and gave me velocities out to 80 yds most of the time.  Surpassed it picked up the shot about a third of the time.  I think shooting suppressed will require the external mic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#39]
^^Thanks.  Where did you have the LR in relation to your muzzle?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

^^Thanks.  Where did you have the LR in relation to your muzzle?
View Quote
It is on a tripod in front of the table even with the muzzle and 5 inches to the left.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I tested some .223 loads with my labradar.  It picked up every unsuppressed shot and gave me velocities out to 80 yds most of the time.  Surpassed it picked up the shot about a third of the time.  I think shooting suppressed will require the external mic.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well. Even if I change the trigger source I still have trouble getting it to pick up shots suppressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top