Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2016 1:25:24 PM EDT
Just saw it advertised. I have been so addicted to my 49th. Anyone got a review?

Does it have any new calibers? Fancy new ones like Grendel and 300BO?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered one, in the description it says it covers 300 BO.

Lyman 50th
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered one, in the description it says it covers 300 BO.

Lyman 50th
View Quote

Neat. Didnt see that link. It has Grendel too.

Not that I dont have enough data.. but you can NEVER have enough data. I always like 2nd opinions.

In for one too if Brownells has em (happy edge member). ;)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
19.70 plus shipping

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000159816051/50th-Edition-Reloading-Manual-?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midsouth%20Shooters%20Supply&utm_content=5%2F26%2F16+Lyman+Handbook
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Lyman 50th Article

Lyman 50th Edition Handbook Features and Highlights:

• New Cartridges in 50th Edition: 17 Hornet, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 300 Blackout, 300 RCM, 338 RCM, 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf

• Expanded Selection of Bullets: Barnes, Hornady, Remington, Sierra, Speer, Swift and Winchester plus full selection of cast bullets

• Feature Articles by Top Gun Writers and Firearm Industry Experts

• “Barrels – Looking into the Unknown” by Ryan Newport

• “Advanced Case Preparation Techniques” by John Haviland

• “What is a Ballistic Coefficient and How Do You Use It?” by Dave Emary and Lane Pearce

• “The History of Modern Lyman Handbooks” by Ed Matunas, Ken Ramage and Tom Griffin
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lyman 50th Article

• New Cartridges in 50th Edition: 17 Hornet, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 300 Blackout, 300 RCM, 338 RCM, 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf

• Expanded Selection of Bullets: Barnes, Hornady, Remington, Sierra, Speer, Swift and Winchester plus full selection of cast bullets

• Feature Articles by Top Gun Writers and Firearm Industry Experts

• “Barrels – Looking into the Unknown” by Ryan Newport

• “Advanced Case Preparation Techniques” by John Haviland

• “What is a Ballistic Coefficient and How Do You Use It?” by Dave Emary and Lane Pearce

• “The History of Modern Lyman Handbooks” by Ed Matunas, Ken Ramage and Tom Griffin
View Quote

Awesome. I love seeing the new cartridges.

Quick question, do you guys think the hard cover is worth the extra money? I haven't been reloading long enough to tell a difference in wear between my soft cover books and the hard cover ones.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
19.70 plus shipping

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000159816051/50th-Edition-Reloading-Manual-?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midsouth%20Shooters%20Supply&utm_content=5%2F26%2F16+Lyman+Handbook
View Quote

bah! they got me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the soft covers ever since they went with the large format. Lyman 46 or so IIRC.

They hold up fine in normal use.

View Quote

Only hard covers I have are Nosler and Hornady. They are pretty. But I agree, not needed. Lyman tends to get a lot of use. Excited about new version but old one still looks fine after lots of use.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Do new editions typically have new info for cartridges that existed in the edition before it? Or do publishers just reprint the exact same info for common cartridges?

In other words, can I expect new info for a cartridge like .45acp for example? Will it just be the same thing printed in the 49th?

I don't load for any of the new cartridges listed so I am wondering if I should pick one of these up or not.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do new editions typically have new info for cartridges that existed in the edition before it? Or do publishers just reprint the exact same info for common cartridges?

In other words, can I expect new info for a cartridge like .45acp for example? Will it just be the same thing printed in the 49th?

I don't load for any of the new cartridges listed so I am wondering if I should pick one of these up or not.
View Quote

Sometimes publishers will add new powders for existing cartridges.. like Hornady 9th added CFE223 among others.

Then again, sometimes they remove powders due to increased lawyer interference. Earlier versions of Lyman had lots more pistol powder data in rifle cartridges for example.. So, once the reviews of 50 come out, we may see pissed off people who got rid of their 49th cause they didnt think they would need it.

Newbies may want to buy the 49th on clearance just in case ;)
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just saw it advertised. I have been so addicted to my 49th. Anyone got a review?

View Quote

I believe 49th has 300 blk/whisper

Interested to see if they added info for the CFE powders
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
19.70 plus shipping

View Quote

Wow, OOS already. Must not have had many in yet, or got slammed with orders.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it does not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, it does not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it does not.

Exactly. 49th was first printed in 2008.. a few years before SAAMI approved 300BO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I need this for 458 socom.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I need this for 458 socom.
View Quote

Mine arrives mid week. I will post review.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Just cracked it open.. Don't have time for full review but here are the quickies...

slight disappointment in 300 BO data in that the only cast data is for their 160 and 180gr mold. (Both of which they suggest H335 as best powder - no idea it was a viable powder for 300 BO)

Would it have killed them to use some other heavier cast bullet for 300BO?

They do have a wide range of other jacket bullets though. Lyman seemed to like "Enforcer" (admit I have never used) and 1680 - their most bold powders.

They also list H4198 for some heavies. Again, I had no idea that powder was a contender for this round.

For the heavy loads, charge "should NOT be reduced. Bullets could stick in the barrel."

I think that is a little strict. Their load for 220 Sierra's is a tad bit higher than mine. It will depend on barrel, etc.

It's still a good beginners 300BO data section. I certainly would hope people don't take those words as Gospel.

In 223 Remington, they have CFE223 now. Didn't notice many other differences but I need to put them side by side.

For Grendel, no CFE223. Very limited data and ONLY for 107, 223 and 129gr bullets. Their 8208 seemed hot for 123gr based on Hodgdon data.. Maybe I need to up my charges in that. Test data is only 16" barrel so you long range guys will need to extrapolate...

Still no Ruger loads for 45colt with a good powder like H110. Not that I really expected a change in 45 colt.

For 458 Socom, they have data on 255, 2 300's, 325 and 500. 5-7 powders each. Only one page of data and one page with cartridge info. Not very extensive but a good start.

Lots to read. If anyone wants to know any specifics for a cartridge, post your request.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I finally got around to buying the 49th just this year.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I got two copies of the 49th for christmas. I was intending to sell the soft cover still in its plastic wrap lol.

Now I want to pick up a 50th.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
YES!!! You jokers just cost me $30 haha...so glad to see the newer 6.5mm cartridges in there

To the gentleman who posted the review: can you comment on the quality and quantity of data in the 6.5 Creedmoor section? As well as what bullets they list?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got am email saying it's back in stock at midsouth.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
YES!!! You jokers just cost me $30 haha...so glad to see the newer 6.5mm cartridges in there

To the gentleman who posted the review: can you comment on the quality and quantity of data in the 6.5 Creedmoor section? As well as what bullets they list?
View Quote

Sure. Will check it out tonight.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just cracked it open.. Don't have time for full review but here are the quickies...

slight disappointment in 300 BO data in that the only cast data is for their 160 and 180gr mold. (Both of which they suggest H335 as best powder - no idea it was a viable powder for 300 BO)

They do have a wide range of other jacket bullets though. Lyman seemed to like "Enforcer" (admit I have never used) and 1680 - their most bold powders.

They also list H4198 for some heavies. Again, I had no idea that powder was a contender for this round.

For the heavy loads, charge "should NOT be reduced. Bullets could stick in the barrel."

I think that is a little strict. Their load for 220 Sierra's is a tad bit higher than mine. It will depend on barrel, etc.

It's still a good beginners 300BO data section. I certainly would hope people don't take those words as Gospel.

In 223 Remington, they have CFE223 now. Didn't notice many other differences but I need to put them side by side.

For Grendel, no CFE223. Very limited data and ONLY for 107, 223 and 129gr bullets. Their 8208 seemed hot for 123gr based on Hodgdon data.. Maybe I need to up my charges in that. Test data is only 16" barrel so you long range guys will need to extrapolate...

Still no Ruger loads for 45colt with a good powder like H110. Not that I really expected a change in 45 colt.

For 458 Socom, they have data on 255, 2 300's, 325 and 500. 5-7 powders each. Only one page of data and one page with cartridge info. Not very extensive but a good start.

Lots to read. If anyone wants to know any specifics for a cartridge, post your request.
View Quote

10mm.  Did they expand the bullets there?  Did they add 220 grain-ers.  I have a developed 220 grain for xtreme, but would like a "professional" listing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for saving me money!  Reloading for grendel and 300 BO.. Plus, I use CFE223...
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Does it have load data for 6.8 SPC?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you

They have a respectable amount of Creedmoor data. Just over a page worth of data plus the cartridge description page. They list 95 V-max, Sierra 107 and 123. HPBT, Berger 130 VLD and Hornady A-Max as well as two of their cast mold bullets in 140 and 150.

In terms of quality, since I don't load, I am not so familiar but they do have a fair number of powders for each jacket bullet (up to 10 powders) and 5 for each of the cast.

Is there something I can compare it to for reference? SR4759 is listed as best powder for cast. That worries me a little. Isn't it discontinued????

They like Varget, I4350, Varget, Superformance, I4350 the best for the jacket bullets (in order of gr size listed above).

Seems like a cool round based on description. Maybe I need to load for it. I just set myself up to load the 6.5 Swede. Creedmoor seems like a step up. Not sure I need that step for my usage.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does it have load data for 6.8 SPC?
View Quote

Yes, but so did the 49th. They did add an 85gr Barnes bullet making a total of 5 bullets now (Sierra HP 90 & 100, Vmax 110, Sierra HPBT 115)

They changed a couple things in the text... including the recommendation for H335 vs V N133 powder. They probably didn't want to pay V's high prices for powder.

X-Terminator got their top marks in most loads.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#31]
You probably already have it but Hornady's 9th is much better if those are the cartridges and powder you are looking for.

Very happy with my H9.

Lyman must be following Hodgdon's lead... and NOT recommending cfe for Grendel.

But to be honest, I am so far not getting great results with CFE in my Grendel so I moved to 8208. I am going for accuracy and haven't really found a load for my upper yet.

Quoted:

Thank you for saving me money!  Reloading for grendel and 300 BO.. Plus, I use CFE223...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

10mm.  Did they expand the bullets there?  Did they add 220 grain-ers.  I have a developed 220 grain for xtreme, but would like a "professional" listing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 220's. Odd... they got rid of the 190 Sierra FP and added a Barnes 155 TAC-XP. Rest of the data looks about the same.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, it does not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it does not.

Yeah I realized I was thinking of the latest speer manual. I didn't realize 300 blk was in there at first because it was in the single shot section

I really really despise the way the speer manual is designed. Such a PITA to deal with

I'll probably grab a new lyman since I'm kind of a reloading manual junkie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They have a respectable amount of Creedmoor data. Just over a page worth of data plus the cartridge description page. They list 95 V-max, Sierra 107 and 123. HPBT, Berger 130 VLD and Hornady A-Max as well as two of their cast mold bullets in 140 and 150.

In terms of quality, since I don't load, I am not so familiar but they do have a fair number of powders for each jacket bullet (up to 10 powders) and 5 for each of the cast.

Is there something I can compare it to for reference? SR4759 is listed as best powder for cast. That worries me a little. Isn't it discontinued????

They like Varget, I4350, Varget, Superformance, I4350 the best for the jacket bullets (in order of gr size listed above).

Seems like a cool round based on description. Maybe I need to load for it. I just set myself up to load the 6.5 Swede. Creedmoor seems like a step up. Not sure I need that step for my usage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you

Excellent, thanks for the insight into the new Lyman 50th. It kind of sucks that some of the newer bullets like the 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X wont be in there, but granted they just came out. I'm glad to see Varget and 4350 data in there too. Looks like I'll be buying this and the Hornady 9th as all I currently have is the Lyman 49th.

And yes, the 6.5 Creedmoor is an excellent round that many of us are having tons of fun with at longer ranges

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Just got mine.  

Disappointed.  

Some of the legacy powders and load data (from 48th and 49th) are gone, and following the lead of many of the bullet makers the recommended loads are milder.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got mine.  

Disappointed.  

Some of the legacy powders and load data (from 48th and 49th) are gone, and following the lead of many of the bullet makers the recommended loads are milder.
View Quote

Ahh, good point...I see the lawyers got a hold of the technical writers then
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got mine.  

Disappointed.  

Amazon has a bunch of older manuals. I ordered the 45th edition to compare old loads.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Had to leave work early yesterday, but it was waiting in our mailroom this morning.

Now I just need to find some time to take a look at it.

~g
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Can anyone let me know if they have CFE pistol data for 9/40/45?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can anyone let me know if they have CFE pistol data for 9/40/45?
View Quote

I don't see CFE listed for any of those calibers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I was very disappointed, none of the newer powders for .223 and .308, no 300MP data for .44 mag.etc. didn't see any data for any of the foreign powders like Vectan and such that seem to be becoming popular in some circles. This was just a Quick look, not in  depth.

Most of the loads are just rehashed, still listing pressures in CUP for many. If you are looking for the latest,cutting edge data, like I was, it just ain't there. So far, I wish I had not spent the money, I get the feeling that they wanted to make the most money for the least effort and expense. I am fully aware that it takes time and money to test and publish a data manual like this, but jeez...

Maybe they are like me, getting a little old and tired...
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was very disappointed, none of the newer powders for .223 and .308, no 300MP data for .44 mag.etc. didn't see any data for any of the foreign powders like Vectan and such that seem to be becoming popular in some circles. This was just a Quick look, not in  depth.

Most of the loads are just rehashed, still listing pressures in CUP for many. If you are looking for the latest,cutting edge data, like I was, it just ain't there. So far, I wish I had not spent the money, I get the feeling that they wanted to make the most money for the least effort and expense. I am fully aware that it takes time and money to test and publish a data manual like this, but jeez...

Maybe they are like me, getting a little old and tired...
View Quote

There is definitely no love out there for 300MP. I have not tried in 44 (yet) but switched to it for 357. I have not seen data anywhere except Alliant and their's is probably the least helpful data on the web.

What rifle powders were you hoping for? I am impressed they have CFE 223...

RE: CFE Pistol.... It's too new. I suspect if a powder isn't around for at least a few years with good sales/reviews, no one is going to invest the time in pressure testing, etc.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I will add that I think that the 300 BO section is pretty complete.

It covers a lot of what I was looking for as far as bullets, bullet weights and powders I use. I might go look for a pound of Enforcer, they seem to really like it for 300 BO. Might get some just to try it out some day down the road.

One thing I'm not quite getting. In the .223 section, they list two different "guns" used for testing. A universal receiver with a 24" barrel, 1:12". And a Colt receiver with a 20" barrel 1:7", but I cannot find a designation for which loads were tested with which "gun".

Seems odd.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lyman 50th Article

View Quote

Four useful cartridges added.  That's good.  I was woefully disappointed with #49, which didn't seem to be much of an improvement over my tried and true #47.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top