Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 7:03:36 PM EDT
Hello,

I use a lee universal decapper die (#90292) to de-prime the 223 LC brass. Pretty often that I will see a brass with deformed mouth (possibly got stepped on or dinged during ejection). Once I see a case like this, I have to use either a #2 philip screw driver or a round taper punch to round it out first before sizing. If not done, the case mouth cannot pass through the sizing die mandrel.

After browsing lee's website, I wonder if I can use the lee's 223 EZ X EXP/DECAPPER (# 90022) (for their sizing die) to replace the universal straight decapping rod (#90292). Don't know if the expansion decapping rod (# 90022) is the same size stem as the universal decapping rod (#90292). If it works, the case mouth will get rounded during decapping so it saves me some time. Have anyone done this before?

Thanks for looking
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Its too short. The universal pin and die are longer to accommodate longer cases.

Bend one pin without a spare and you will be looking all over for a short term replacement.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran through a bunch of universal decappers from Lee while doing LC 762 brass.
I got relief from an outfit called monkey something. I will look for the package tomorrow and will post up. It is advertised as bulletproof.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had a problem simply using the standard sizing/decap/expander die...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They sell "hardened" lee replacement pins ones on ebay. I am not sure how much better they are.. I have thought about it. I do keep a spare.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Have decapped untold thousands of LC 5.56 and 7.62, thousands of other crimped primer 5.56 and 7.62,

all with Lee Universal die. No problems.

I'll usually use a needle nosed pliars to reduce any case mouth dings: I removed decap rods

from Lee sizing dies. I'm getting more consistent and increased neck tension with less case

stretching from the sizer button dragging through the case. More tension has eliminated need to crimp.

This method works for me, may be unsettling to others.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe it's too short.  You could put a lee resizing die in and set the die really high/decapper low.  That would decap and open the case mouth without resizing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
As promised, squirrel daddy.com.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As promised, squirrel daddy.com.
View Quote

While the link worked, it didn't work exactly as I think you meant it to work.  It took me to daddy.com, which was a whole `nother thing.  It was at least suitable for all ages.  I think this is the link you intended:
Squirrel Daddy
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Squirrel Daddy pins. They work fine and have a slight taper where it transitions from the decapping pin to the stem. This solved my problem of damaged case mouths when there was a slight out of round mouth passing through the decapper.

I probably could have just ground a taper to my original pin but I wanted to have a spare pin anyway. So many stories of bent of broken pins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top